What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: J-385 1st soak and beyond: Tubbin heaven  (Read 4056 times)

Duffman

J-385 1st soak and beyond: Tubbin heaven
« on: December 09, 2005, 02:46:28 pm »
I just jumped in my J-385 for the first time and am thrilled. With all the recent snow the weather was perfect too. I experimented with all the seats for about an hour and even found one or two new things to like about this spa. So far I have absolutely no regrets and am sure this was the best spa for me. I was a little concerned that the 385 didn't have any place for drinks, but the bar worked amazingly well. Cans and bottles don't seem to tip over at all   :D

The spa installation was a bit of a fiasco but in the end the spa was set up without incident and the delivery team left just as the electrician arrived. Perfect timing!

The 3 guys who showed up didn't have any plywood to help get the dolly over the 50 yards of grass to my backyard. To make matters worse, the dolly had two flat tires. Needless to say it took a little longer then they anticipated to get the spa around back.

Once in place they installed the bar and coverlifter. Unfortunately they forgot the two bar stools and the 60" steps. I got some smaller steps to use for now but they're going to have to come back out again.  :-/

I was hoping the landscaping would have been complete before the spa came but that was put on hold since a section of fence had to be removed to get the spa in place. Of course the patio was done and ready. Here are a few pictures of the patio:

I also had to hire an HVAC crew to move the outdoor condenser off of the patio. Not only did it free up a lot of space but it was the only way to fit the 385 under my deck.

Once the landscapers finish their work I'll be having a little hot tub party for my friends. Until then I've got plenty of room to stretch out and enjoy ;)

As I finish this post I'm thinking it's time to jump back in again!

Happy holidays everyone!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 05:40:16 pm by Duffman »

Hot Tub Forum

J-385 1st soak and beyond: Tubbin heaven
« on: December 09, 2005, 02:46:28 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: J-385 1st soak. Patience richly rewarded!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:31:57 pm »
congratulations!  Isn't it just awsome?!!! Your installation looks beautiful with the patio. It looks really private too!  Kinda seems like this weather was made to order for us new tubbers!  Best of luck! ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

harry_the_jet

• n8kid fun
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 04:58:31 pm »
welcome to spatopia Duffman.  I too have a J-385 and love everything about it.  Last night around midnight after a hard night of working the boards during basketball, i donned my trunks and slithered into the 101 temp.  The air was crisp, but the soak was peaceful.

I too had a delivery fiasco.  The trucks came to set up the tub.  The forklift had lost pneumatic pressure and thus as the tub was clear from the trailer, and about 2 inches off the ground, all hydraulc pressure ceased and the tub drop the last two inches.  eed less to say..i was worried.  I then proceeded to assist with 5 of my friends to push this palet of hot tub to my back yard .  eventually, the tub was positioned correctly and all was well.  All this in a torrential rainfall.

I would have pictures, however my surrounding deck, fireplace and stonework is only half finished before the snows came...now i cannot wait for spring to finish my job.

It is all worth it.  Meanwhile, my neighbors are all INSIDE watching their pool covers gather ice and snow...SUCKERS.

Best of luck

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 07:07:54 pm »
May you always have hot, clean, bubbly water, Duffman!!

Your patience will be rewarded!  Enjoy Spatopia!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 07:16:04 pm »
very nice brick work on the patio. looks like they did a great job.

Marquis dealer

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 08:26:20 pm »
A beautiful set up Duff.  I'm right behind you.  My 385 is in but not hooked up yet.  Dry wall is only half done.

I like the patio and stones you laid.

You are sure to have plenty of great soaks out there.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Duffman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 09:09:45 am »
Well, the 2nd through 4th soak were just as great as the 1st.

On a related note, I realized my wet test review comments concerning sliding in some seats are moot... when suits are optional. Bare butts seem to have the same properties as velcro when in coming into contact with hot tubs. Perhaps another study is in order  :D

I tried a full therapy ritual this morning using various tools gathered over the years to help with my back.

First thing this morning I jumped in the spa for 30 minutes. Then I took a 30 minute IR sauna and downed 1.5 liters of water. After a quick shower I lay on my Ceragem massage table for another 30 minutes. It was all terrific! I feel loose, relaxed, have little-to-no back pain, and yet I am feeling extremely energized (no coffee required).

I'm not just in Spatopia... I've discovered Day-Spatopia!!!   8)

While the massage table and sauna have always been a tremendous help with my back pain (I've had them for 2-3 years), the hot tub definitely adds a lot to the equation, and in different ways.

From a pain management perspective, if I were to pick the best of those three therapies, I would definintely choose the Ceragem massage and the Hot Tub as the most beneficial. The massage table provides an excellent deep tissue massage (much like shiatsu) supported with IR heat from above and below. I still love the sauna though and use it all the time.

http://www.ceragem.com
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 05:44:55 pm by Duffman »

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Re: J-385 1st soak and beyond: Tubbin heaven
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 07:06:05 pm »
Hey Duff,

I would be interested in which seats/jets on the 385 you find the most helpful.

Wet tests are necessary, but the show room leaves a lot to be desired.  There is nothing like playing with your own tub in your own set up.

Duffman

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 08:17:50 am »
There isn't a seat in that spa that I don't enjoy on some level, but my three favorites are
  • Corner seat with the added whirlpool jet. I get a great back massage, I like the calf jets but love the big foot jets right there even better. The whirlpool jet is great on my shoulder, ribcage or hip depending how I use it.
  • The corner therapy seat with the 3 large jets directed at the mid and lower back. That sucker is just intense and bombards you with high pressure and large water volume. With the use of the diverter valve the power is comparable to the Master Spa LSX's therapy seat that I loved so much in my wet tests. I like deep tissue massage but generally have to turn the power down after 5 minutes.
  • In my wet test I said that I never met a lounger that I fit well in, but the one in the 385 has really grown on me. The seat angle keeps you sitting fairly straight and for me, this was the key to keep from floating up and out. I really like setting the back jets to the oscillating mode when relaxing there

The 4th corner seat is just as good as the one described in the first bullet, but it doesn't have that extra whirlpool jet.

The foot and leg room in the 385 is amazing. I can sit on the floor of the footwell and stretch out my legs there's so much room. With the three big foot jets down there (raised about 8-10 inches up as you can see in the pictures above), I can use them while sitting as a whole other method of therapy (kind of like the Epic therapy tower).

I really like that the cool-down seat has two bullet jets that offer good power as well. Most cool down's generally have one jet or none. The seat also has you in easy reach of the foot jets.

Even the lounger seat beneath the two waterfalls is great. The feeling of water from the two falls cascading over your shoulders is very relaxing. You can use the foot jets on the lounger for the upper leg. Also, You're in reach of those great foot jets

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 10:11:27 pm »
Duff,

I need to tap into your experience.  I finally picked up the 385 manual today (it wasn't delivered with the spa) and I was reading about start up.  It mentions ph control but I did not get a ph kit with the tub. Is this something that comes with it or something I should buy myself?  Is one kid of test kit/treatment better than another?

Second, all I got with the tub was a ProClear mineral stick and container of Rendezvous Activate (Shock Treats Without Chlorine - Active ingredient: Potassium peroxymonosulfate)  The tub has an ozonator.  The directions on the container say it is "an activator for the production of available bromine in water containing Enhance."

I thought bromine was not compatabile with an ozonator.  Did they give me the wrong stuff?  And what is Enhance?  I am more than a little confused here.  What came with your 385 and what did you use at start up?

The dealer's installer/repairman is coming at 10AM to hook up the electric  inside the tub so I will ask him these questions, but it would be nice to get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks

Duffman

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 10:15:43 am »
I wish you all the best with your new 385. Unfortuntately I'm not a chem expert. If you bought a new spa, the dealer should have provided a start up kit with their recommended chemicals and some test strips. I am using a dichlor system myself (API Water: EZ-Spa System).

There's a lot of topics on bromine and dichlor systems and how to use them. Sorry I cant be of more assistance

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 11:08:27 am »
Duff,

I need to tap into your experience.  I finally picked up the 385 manual today (it wasn't delivered with the spa) and I was reading about start up.  It mentions ph control but I did not get a ph kit with the tub. Is this something that comes with it or something I should buy myself?  Is one kid of test kit/treatment better than another?

Second, all I got with the tub was a ProClear mineral stick and container of Rendezvous Activate (Shock Treats Without Chlorine - Active ingredient: Potassium peroxymonosulfate)  The tub has an ozonator.  The directions on the container say it is "an activator for the production of available bromine in water containing Enhance."

I thought bromine was not compatabile with an ozonator.  Did they give me the wrong stuff?  And what is Enhance?  I am more than a little confused here.  What came with your 385 and what did you use at start up?

The dealer's installer/repairman is coming at 10AM to hook up the electric  inside the tub so I will ask him these questions, but it would be nice to get a 2nd opinion.

Thanks

Bromine is compatable with an Ozinator.

Potassium peroxymonosulfate is a shock. I use it with my Dichlor tub.  Liesure time calls it "Renew"

I would guess Enhance is your Bromine concentrate that you would santize the pool with and shock with the Potassium peroxymonosulfatepotasiumwhochadinky.

IT sounds like you received an incomplete chem kit.

I would speak with your dealer and get a primer on how to set up the tub  with the chemicals he is recomedning

I would think they'd supply enough to get you going for at least a month.  

???
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 03:42:42 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 11:08:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42