What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ozone damage  (Read 11521 times)

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: ozone damage
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 10:32:06 am »
Help me out here...If it is not installed at the factory ....than how can it be UL approved are you sure about this....

The actual ozone generator is UL approved.   I don't know if the tubs themselves would lose their UL listing if the ozones were installed at the factory.

A more extreme case of this is a certain dealer that puts ETL approved equipment in a cabinet and calls the whole thing ETL listed.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2005, 10:32:06 am »

J._McD

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2005, 11:22:20 am »
When a manufacturer submits the Hot Tub to UL, he must submit each model to them as it leaves the factory destined to the consumer.  Most manufacturers have ozone as an "option" that is then installed by the dealer at time of delivery.

ANY changes the manufacturer makes to that particular model then requires that it be resubmitted for approval or recertification.  The manufacturer cannot make any changes after certification.  IF the dealer installs an ozone, this sould be a UL listed ozone, if not, it invalidates, or otherwise voids the UL certification.

The tub is UL listed ONLY as it is submitted to them for analysis.  Any future changes or additional improvments made by the manufacturer invalidates their listing.

All manufacturers that I know of are using a UL listed ozone system as an option the dealer adds to the spa.
If ozone bleaches out the pillows and the cover  would it be better to not have ozone and just sanitize with chemicals? Anybody else having problems like this with their spas? Is ozone benifical enough to warrent it damaging parts of the spa? What little bit I've learned about spas and ozone it's my understanding that there are different kinds of ozone systems. What kind of ozone system is in the hs and vita spas?

Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and will literally "eat" or destroy rubber base materials within 60 days even in the EQ area where residual O3 does exist.  Thus, all seals and o-rings MUST be ozone compatible.  

During the late 80's cover materials and stitching were destroyed by ozone and the cover fell apart in short time.  For that reason and with the use of ozone gaining popularity, covers had to be made with materials that were more compatible, or otherwise minimally affected by the oxidation of ozone.  This is the same for pillow materials.

If anyone would like to test this theory, put something under the cover for a weeks time that is made of rubber and witness the results.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2005, 02:05:41 pm »
When a manufacturer submits the Hot Tub to UL, he must submit each model to them as it leaves the factory destined to the consumer.  Most manufacturers have ozone as an "option" that is then installed by the dealer at time of delivery.

ANY changes the manufacturer makes to that particular model then requires that it be resubmitted for approval or recertification.  The manufacturer cannot make any changes after certification.  IF the dealer installs an ozone, this sould be a UL listed ozone, if not, it invalidates, or otherwise voids the UL certification.

The tub is UL listed ONLY as it is submitted to them for analysis.  Any future changes or additional improvments made by the manufacturer invalidates their listing.

All manufacturers that I know of are using a UL listed ozone system as an option the dealer adds to the spa.
Ozone is a powerful oxidizer and will literally "eat" or destroy rubber base materials within 60 days even in the EQ area where residual O3 does exist.  Thus, all seals and o-rings MUST be ozone compatible.  

Thanks J_Mcd,
That is my understanding and also I guess where the wiggle room comes in. I knew of no spas that were UL approved that shipped with a CD ozonator.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 02:06:38 pm by Mendocino101 »

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2005, 02:21:22 pm »
Are we better off without these ozonators in the HS line of spa's?

It seems that we could maintain the spa water without the ozonator which could be causing premature aging of the plastic/rubber components.

J._McD

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2005, 04:19:39 pm »
Are we better off without these ozonators in the HS line of spa's?

It seems that we could maintain the spa water without the ozonator which could be causing premature aging of the plastic/rubber components.

If you are using BaquaSpa products, YES, otherwis NO and that is just MHO.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2005, 09:41:04 am »

I guess this is another difference between ETL and UL.

BTW, when I began selling D-1 (don't anymore) the tubs all had ozonators (except @home series) and were UL listed..
Homeworks Financing Representative

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2005, 11:26:16 am »
Do you use the protectant on the underside of the cover? Do you use it on the pillows too?

drewmeister,
I use 303 on every square inch of my cover--top, bottom and sides including vinyl and webbed handles.  Mine has slightly faded on the bottom but shows no other signs of wear.....about 1.5 years of use now.  The top is in the sun 100% of time during the day and still looks and feels like new.  I use it on the headrests as well as the plastic diverter handles and air controller knobs.  I even use it on the control panel and the auxilliary pump control buttons.  Great stuff...... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2005, 01:13:35 pm »
Most ozonator units are UL approved as stand alone units.  However,  UL has different tests in order to give it thumbs up if installed from the manufacturer.  It costs money and time to do this so most manufadcturers do not have installed approval from UL or ETL.  It's simpler to let dealership install.  They also do not have to regulate ppm injected into the spa, which can cause excessive degradation of accessory items, i.e. pillows, covers, etc.  It doesn't mean that a company who does not get approval hasn't engineered a spa that measures up to UL standards, it just means they do not want to pay for approval.  Very similar to ISO 9001.  Many companies would pass 9001 certification standards but refuse to pay huge sums of money for company to tell them they are doing it right anyway.

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2005, 05:01:27 pm »
How can you tell if a spa or acc. that is put in the hot tub are UL or ETL approved?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 07:01:22 pm by blizzard »

J._McD

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2005, 07:38:56 pm »
How can you tell if a spa or acc. that is put in the hot tub are UL or ETL approved?

They will have a UL or ETL certification sticker on the item.  If you don't see it or find it on the product, it is not UL or ETL, simple as that.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2005, 07:38:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42