What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Grandee Arrived and installed!  (Read 9255 times)

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
HS Grandee Arrived and installed!
« on: November 30, 2005, 05:46:04 pm »
My HS Grandee arrived and was installed today. They ran the electric right afterward. ($590!!!!)
It is merrily burbling away and heating up. When can I expect it to be up to temp? Like Brook, will I be spa-ing  tomorrow morning?

Also they dumped in a whole bottle of Metal Gon when it was filled. All my water goes through a softener. Do I need the Metal Gon stuff?

Time to read up on all the chemical lore in the forum.

I'll post pics later.
BearBath

Hot Tub Forum

HS Grandee Arrived and installed!
« on: November 30, 2005, 05:46:04 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: HS Grandee Arrived and installed!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 05:49:30 pm »
Don't know about the Metal Get Gone, but I can tell you that I am happy for you about the wonderful spa you're about to enjoy for the next 20 years or so!  Congratulations!

We just hooked up a Grandee at my store for our upcoming party.  I'll race you to 102*.  Ready, set, go.....

Ha ha, I started 2 hours ago! :D

Oh, the spa will be hot and ready when you wake up in the morning.

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 05:50:09 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 05:52:55 pm »
Congratulations BearBath, and welcome to the HotSpring club, that is a spa you will enjoy for years to come.

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 05:56:02 pm »
Congrats on the new spa.  I paid $685 for my wiring and thought I got great deal.  I think we had it filled and running around 6:30 last night.  At 11pm it was warm, but not hot enough to get in.  By 6 am when I checked it it was 102*.

I know my manual said not to use softened water... so does metal gone stuff maybe help counter the soft water?  I don't know anything... just guessing/rambling.   :)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 06:06:17 pm »
What part of the country are you in?  The water out of the tap these days will vary in temp quite a bit if your in Boston or Miami.  My tap water is 45 in the dead of winter and 72 in the summer so how long it takes to get to 102 will vary quite a bit.    Count on 3-5 degrees per hour. (I don't remember how many gallons in a Grandee)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 06:17:44 pm »
500 gallons U.S.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 06:24:19 pm »
I know my manual said not to use softened water... so does metal gone stuff maybe help counter the soft water?  I don't know anything... just guessing/rambling.   :)

No, metal gon is for the metals in the water. Did you use softened water? You really don't want to do so and if you have I'd contact your spa guy so he can address it with you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 08:15:39 pm »
I don't really have a choice. All the water in the house runs through the softener.  :-[ There is a bypass valve on the softener, and I could bypass, purge the pipes, and then fill the spa, but that is not what was done. I was not here and the installer just used a hose.

I just read the part in the manual that said don't use softened water. Oh Sh*T, too late!

Now what do I do? Do I have to start all over again? Is there something I can add to correct the high sodium content?

Also, I had the "Clarion" light system put on and it appears to be on all the time. I have yet to find a switch to turn it off. That could be annoying!

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 08:17:27 pm »
Oh, and I'm in upstate NY. The water temperature out of the tap is quite cool, but I would just guess it is 50 ish. (Kinda like me!)

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 12:47:08 pm »
Using a water softer should do some of what the metal gon would do, so they are more the same than opposites. If you used the softened water you will most likely just have to add enough calcium hardness to compinsate. Shouldnt be to big a deal, and your dealer can test for your calcium levels. Next time you might want to use the unsoftened water or you will just have to add a bunch of calcium each time. Congratulations on the spa!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 12:51:47 pm »
Using a water softer should do some of what the metal gon would do, so they are more the same than opposites. If you used the softened water you will most likely just have to add enough calcium hardness to compinsate. Shouldnt be to big a deal, and your dealer can test for your calcium levels. Next time you might want to use the unsoftened water or you will just have to add a bunch of calcium each time. Congratulations on the spa!

If you use softened water you don't need to add metal gon but it is a big deal to use softened water. You should NOT do so though a one time deal probably would be no big deal but make sure ALL "topping off" water is hard. In reality, we always tell people what works well is to fill 75% hard water and 25% soft water so in this case, you don't need to bleed the lines of the soft water before adding the hard.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 04:15:56 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 02:07:32 pm »
Good idea spatech. I havent told anyone that before.

cappykat

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 02:07:35 pm »
Congrats, BearBath on your new Grandee!  Hope it's everything you want it to be.  

Welcome to SPATOPIA!!
2005 Marquis Epic

BearBath

• Ya snooze Ya Lose
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 06:18:04 pm »
Spatech, That is really helpful not to have to bleed the lines.
I'll probably do the drain/refill thing this weekend, just to have peace of mind. I don't want to do it now, 'cuz I don't want to have to wait the 24 hours to have it warm up again!
Thanks for the advice!
Bearbath

Soakin

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:50:41 pm »
BearBath,

To save you a little time and money, I'd suggest that you drain it down part way and refill with hard water.  It won't hurt to have a little soft water in there (25-30%).  Drain it down to the seats and then put the hose in.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:50:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42