What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Grandee Arrived and installed!  (Read 9254 times)

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
Re: HS Grandee Arrived and installed!
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 11:28:05 pm »
can't he just throw some calcium in?

I thought you could harden up water pretty easily...?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 11:28:05 pm »

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 11:37:49 pm »
In a 500 Gallon tub like the Grandee, approximately 4 oz. of Calcium Hardness Increaser (calcium chloride) will raise the calcium hardness level by 50 ppm.  Depending on your current CH level, it won't take much to get you into the range you need to be.  Have your dealer check your CH level for you so you'll know what you are startiong with.  Much easier and cheaper than doing a drain and refill.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 10:09:22 am »
Congratulations on you Grandee!

"they dumped in a whole bottle of Metal Gon when it was filled"

Just rememberr to remove your watch before you get in...

hymbaw

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 11:57:02 am »
The reason not to use softened water is that the TDS tends to be super high. A local dealer should be able to test for TDS. if your levels are good, you're good.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

jaj111

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 06:23:22 pm »
congrats

TCat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 06:50:01 pm »
Congrats on the Grandee delivery!sed.  We're getting ours delivered on Dec. 16, but I 'm confused now.  When I called the dealer today to ask about getting our water tested before delivery, he said we definately should run it through the water softener.  If you use hard water, aren't there a lot of metals and iron? Why is soft water bad? ???

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 06:57:47 pm »
Congrats on the Grandee delivery!sed.  We're getting ours delivered on Dec. 16, but I 'm confused now.  When I called the dealer today to ask about getting our water tested before delivery, he said we definately should run it through the water softener.  If you use hard water, aren't there a lot of metals and iron? Why is soft water bad? ???

Soft water is corrosive due to the salts. Your manual probably specifically recommends against it. See if you can view the manual on-line and if so show it to your dealer and have him/her make a notation on your invoice that you should use soft water. Down the line if you have heater issues due to the soft water you don't want to rely on the dealer remembering that they told you to use it.

I would use the hard water and add a bottle of Metal Gon upon filling if you're worried about metals. Actually, what we tell people with water softeners is to use 75% hard water and 25% soft water but all this should go through your dealer. This is why you buy locally in the first place but the part about them telling you to use soft water is unfortunate.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 08:37:48 pm »
Spatech t.u.o., I also have a water softener but it is  because I have a calcium neutralizer. The Ph of my well water is slightly acid. I have copper pipes and didn't want to chance having them pit and leak over time.
The only issue with my raw water is a little bit of iron and the Ph at about 6.6-6.8.  Do you think I would be better going 100% raw well water and using one of the metal out products?  I need to let the dealer know, probably tomorrow because the water sample that I submitted to him came through the softener. Thanks for your help
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 06:42:14 pm »
I think I gave you official blessings in a different thread, but since my memory isn't what it used to be...

May you always have hot, clean, bubbly water in that new Grandee!!!

Enjoy spatopia!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 10:34:09 pm »
Congrats on your new tub!  We've had our Grandee for several weeks now and can't be happier about our choice.  We think it is a GREAT hot tub!  You're gonna love it!!  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 10:49:33 am »
May you soak long and prosper. You have chosen a wonderful spa!

As to the soft water issue: the people who made your spa very specifically prohibit filling it with soft water. There are many reasons. But for now, simply test the hardness of the water in the tub, and adjust it if you need to. You do not need to drain/refill at this point. I am looking at the dates of your posts and this info may be too little too late... but:

You should change the water at the end of the first month, and at that time I would push the bypass valve on the softner, and fill away! Don't bother purging pipes: the small amount of soft water which will get into your tub will not hurt anything.

This first-month water change is something I recommend to all new spa owners - not just because you filled with soft water. It helps a lot - makes the tub that much easier to care for. Just this once though: usual interval is about four months.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 10:49:33 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42