What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: my first chemical question?  (Read 9910 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
my first chemical question?
« on: December 09, 2005, 04:17:42 pm »
My new Epic was up and running WEdnesday. Everything chemical wise seemed fine except today I noticed that the Bromine was a little low. I am using the spa frog and mineral cartridges. My understanding was that shock would oxidize the bromine that was bound to contaminants and help it work better. So I put in shock this morning (the shock said 3 tbs for 500 gallons so I put a little less for my 450 gal tub) . Now the bromine is on the high side. Will running the tub with the lid half open help to reduce the bromine? Or should I just throw in a few dirty kids?  Thanks  All of my other levels are still fine.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

my first chemical question?
« on: December 09, 2005, 04:17:42 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: my first chemical question?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:53:13 pm »
I use a bromine floater, and when my bromine level gets too high, I just pull the floater for a day or so.
I've used my spa when the bromine level was higher than recommended, and it did seem to drop the level.

But they caution against that so toss in your dirty kids at your risk. ;)
Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 05:02:02 pm »
Actually, I wasn't really going to let anyone in until someone told me what to do. My husband however had his own ideas and decided it would be Ok so he is in  by himself.
Was I correct though about how the shock works? I think I will wait until tomorrow and if the bromine doesn't drop, I will turn the frog back a notch. Otherwise I will guess that I may have added a bit too much shock???
Thanks for your help, Brewman  ;)

Soakin

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 05:34:18 pm »
Was I correct though about how the shock works? I think I will wait until tomorrow and if the bromine doesn't drop, I will turn the frog back a notch. Otherwise I will guess that I may have added a bit too much shock???;)
Better to use your husband to soak up the extra bromine, rather than your kids anyway. :D  What was in your shock?  If it is straight MPS, all it does is free up the combined Br that is already in the tub, so high Br readings would indicate that you can dial the frog back.  If it is an "Enhanced Shock" with some chlorine in it, that will cause the Br reading to go up, because the test actually measures "oxidizing potential", and is reading the combined Br/Cl in the tub.  The dichlor will dissipate over the next day or so.   Unless the readings are really high, I wouldn't worry about it.

Alex1

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 06:00:24 pm »
Bonibelle,
   What do you have the bromine cartridge set at? I set mine on 3 when I install a new one then after a day or so I set it on 2. This gives me a level of about 1 on the chart on the test strip bottle. My dealer said to stay between .5 and 1. with the test strip. I try to stay around 1. Hope this helps.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 10:54:41 pm »
i use bromine and I too had that problem in the beginning.  You will find that you have to play with the settings to get the right amount.  

With the bromine I leave the lid open and that helps it drop, mainly for summer, and then in this weather, I just go in and it helps my tub to lower.

You will find that eventually, you will shock once a week and thats it.  In the beginning, I added one table spoon of shock for each bather after each use.  That is what my dealer recommended until I got the hang of everything.  Now I shock once a week and keep my brominator to 5.  my tub is 540 gallons.

When your bromine is low, and you add shock, you will notice an increase in your bromine level.  Thats why when you shock it to much, it kills everything but your levels are always high.

You will also note that when your bromine levels is not consistant, your alk will usually drop or atleast this is what i have noted.  I wrote down my first two months to learn what I needed.  My Ph is always constant and alk drops every week.  This is the downside to bromine I guess.

I would say turn your dial to 3 or 4 for your size tub for a week, and do daily checks to monitor the increase or decrease of bromine.  Once you have your dial set, you will be laughing.  

Also just remember, because this is new, you will be using the hell out of the tub.  Because of this, you will notice that your bromine will always be low because of useage and extra bather loads and your body getting use to it.  I heard that your body secretes oils like crazy in the beginning until it gets use to it.  Eventually your levels will be more stable.

Every time you shock it, you will notice a spike.  I go in sometimes when the test strip is glowing green.  I could care less, it doesnt bother me at all.

I hope this helps, and remember, this is just what I have learned and my expierences, im not saying it is the right way or the best way  ;)

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 10:29:41 am »
My new Epic was up and running WEdnesday. Everything chemical wise seemed fine except today I noticed that the Bromine was a little low. I am using the spa frog and mineral cartridges. My understanding was that shock would oxidize the bromine that was bound to contaminants and help it work better. So I put in shock this morning (the shock said 3 tbs for 500 gallons so I put a little less for my 450 gal tub) . Now the bromine is on the high side. Will running the tub with the lid half open help to reduce the bromine? Or should I just throw in a few dirty kids?  Thanks  All of my other levels are still fine.

I wish you EPIC owners would get your acts together...cloudy water....green water  Ph up, Ph down...I just think there  ;Dis something wrong with that tub!

I hope the above response helps you as much as it did me
:(
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 04:10:35 pm »
I was wondering why you didn't respond...you know I was just teasing you..or at least I hope you do..heck we were just about ready to go into the spa business in Texas together..remember?  I'm sorry if you thought I was being mean, I didn't intend that at all. I was just being silly because I was still waiting and waiting...at that point..I would have been happy with green water or any water for that matter.... :-/

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 09:00:12 pm »
I have my frog bromine set on 2 and the level dropped a bit today. My husband agrees with Bosco and he is going in no matter.  I guess I will just test and wait.
My dealer said to give the whole process a while to see what our regular usage is and adjust accordingly. Thank you all for your help...and Drprwnap, again ..I was just playing off the Terminator's remarks about the off brand tubs..I hope you have your water back in balance now :-[ ..Guess I owe you a beer.

drprwnap

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 12:16:57 am »
I was wondering why you didn't respond...you know I was just teasing you..or at least I hope you do..heck we were just about ready to go into the spa business in Texas together..remember?  I'm sorry if you thought I was being mean, I didn't intend that at all. I was just being silly because I was still waiting and waiting...at that point..I would have been happy with green water or any water for that matter.... :-/

Bonnie,
I was upset with the water problem.  I was looking for some help.  The teasing wouldn't have bothered me if it would have been followed up with some help.  Maybe something you read, heard or even a guess at from your research.
Ok, here's what's happening with my water.  The green is gone.  The broming cartridge was empty.  I  doubled shocked and it's fine.
Just about every Sat. I take a water sample to a local dealer.  Not mine because he's a 20 min. drive. Anyway, my bromine levels have been between 0.5 and 1.  I really don't worry about it because I usually put in a teaspoon or two of di-chlor after I soak.  Then I shock every week with MPS.  It's been working but with the weekend trip, not using the tub and the bromine running out, I got green water.  I'm going to pay more attention to how long the bromine cartridge has been in the tub.  I don't think I can get 3 weeks out of it.  BTW, it's set on 3.
I think Bosco gave US some good advice in his response.
Hope you get the water maint. down.  I may (will) need some help in the future.  ;D

drprwnap  8)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 09:58:09 am »
If you want, I can give you the info I got when I called the dealer. I haven't checked my bromine cartridge yet, but she said it would get used up pretty fast at first because (just like the others said) we are using the tub alot. I shocked because I thought that would bring the bromine level up without moving up a notch (I am at 2). It really did bring the level flying up. I was worried about getting it back down fast.
I only shocked that one time and today everything is just right. We tried one of those spa fragrances...I really couldn't smell it at all...but it didn't seem to bother my water chemistry. Did you get an info packet from your dealer? Not the Marquis book but a chemistry packet printed by your dealer?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 10:07:28 am »

Bonnie,
I was upset with the water problem.  I was looking for some help.  The teasing wouldn't have bothered me if it would have been followed up with some help.  Maybe something you read, heard or even a guess at from your research.
Ok, here's what's happening with my water.  The green is gone.  The broming cartridge was empty.  I  doubled shocked and it's fine.
Just about every Sat. I take a water sample to a local dealer.  Not mine because he's a 20 min. drive. Anyway, my bromine levels have been between 0.5 and 1.  I really don't worry about it because I usually put in a teaspoon or two of di-chlor after I soak.  Then I shock every week with MPS.  It's been working but with the weekend trip, not using the tub and the bromine running out, I got green water.  I'm going to pay more attention to how long the bromine cartridge has been in the tub.  I don't think I can get 3 weeks out of it.  BTW, it's set on 3.
I think Bosco gave US some good advice in his response.
Hope you get the water maint. down.  I may (will) need some help in the future.  ;D

drprwnap  8)

I'm confused as hell now.

You  use Bromine, Dichlor and MPS?
07 Caldera Geneva

drprwnap

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 11:26:33 am »

I'm confused as hell now.

You  use Bromine, Dichlor and MPS?

Yeah.  I must confess I'm not religious with the di-chlor.
Is this too much?  Am I overdoing it?  I did cut out the di-chlor and noticed my water got a little "dull". I would not object to eliminating something! Let me know what you think.  I don't want to give out incorrect advise.  :(

drprwnap  8)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 11:45:36 am »
Why are using Bromine AND Dichlor. How did you get onto this regiment ?

I am far from an expert, but everything I read tells me to use one or the other.

It's my understanding you use Dichlor  OR  bromine as the sanitizer, not both.

07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:49:35 am »
Why are using Bromine AND Dichlor. How did you get onto this regiment ?

I am far from an expert, but everything I read tells me to use one or the other.

It's my understanding you use Dichlor  OR  bromine as the sanitizer, not both.

It is true, Bromine users can improve their luck by dosing with some dichlor from time to time. The bromine pucks are part chlorine anyway.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:49:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42