What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemicals  (Read 2109 times)

newriver99

Chemicals
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:29:59 pm »
I just had a visit from the Hot Springs tech on a valve replacement.  While he was here he noticed my chemicals.  He told me not to use Dichlor and just use MPS.  I was to use Dichlor when I filled the spa and when the water started to get bad (cloudy).  He said the Hot Springs spas are made to be used without chlorine.
Now the second thing he said which I can not believe is that I should only use the MPS from Hot Springs.  I had a container from Leslie's.  He said Leslie's would harm the spa.  I asked him why and he said it was the way it was formulated.   Same ingredients but different formulation.  Does this make sense???

Three reasons I buy from Leslie's:1. 25 miles closer than HS dealer, 2. They test my water, 3. $4/lb cheaper on MPS.

Hot Tub Forum

Chemicals
« on: December 07, 2005, 01:29:59 pm »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 01:42:47 pm »
You can use whatever you want, HotSpring spas are not designed to be chlorine free. Don't know why he a service tech would tell you that, other than the fact that he is a service tech and not a water test expert.

Soakin

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 01:50:51 pm »
I would disregard anything that guy told you.

MPS has no sanitizing abilities.  Without a sanitizer like dichlor or bromine, you will end up with a tub full of bacteria, so keep the dichlor in your routine.  Regarding your routine, I'm not very comfortable with using dichlor only as needed.   IMO it should be used prophylatically.  Most of the users here add a little after each use.  Search "dichlor" here or see the Vermonter post in the FAQ of the rhtubs.com site for a good discussion on sanitation.  

Some brands  of MPS are pure, others have buffers to counteract the low pH, others are combined with dichlor to create an "enhanced shock".  If your Leslies MPS has the same ingredients as the HS version, it will work the same.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 04:15:15 pm by Soakin »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 03:16:49 pm »
I would disregard anything that guy told you.

MPS has no sanitizing abilities.  Without a sanitizer like dichlor or bromine, you will end up with a tub full of bacteria, so keep the dichlor in your routine.  Regarding your routine, I'm not very comfortable with using dichlor only as needed.   IMO it should be used prophylatically.  Most of the users here add a little after each use.  Search "dichlor" here or see the Vermonter post in the FAQ of the rhtubs.com site for a good discussion on santitation.  

Some brands  of MPS are pure, others have buffers to counteract the low pH, others are combined with dichlor to create an "enhanced shock".  If your Leslies MPS has the same ingredients as the HS version, it will work the same.

Agree completely.

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:00:15 pm »
The tech is either a liar or an idiot, dont listen to him!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 04:09:22 pm »
Only one company in the world manufactures MPS. Dow Chemical........ Everyone else buys it from them and repackages it. Some adding different things to it (to buffer it).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

newriver99

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 05:52:22 pm »
Thanks for the information.  I have had the Vanguard only for only two months so this is all new to me.  I hate it when people who supposedly work for the same manufacture say different things.  The dealer told us one thing.  The guy who installed the spa said another.  Now the tech guy said something completely different than the other two.  The installer was the closest to what everyone here is saying.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 05:52:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42