What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Owners  (Read 2905 times)

velocity23

• If it ain't broke...break it
Sundance Owners
« on: December 05, 2005, 06:34:03 am »
I have a 2005 Optima and went to drain it this weekend. I attached the hose to the drain and pulled on the connection to release the water and it came completely out...water started gushing out. I hurried and stuck it back in. Went to pull it out again and it stopped halfway as it should and the water started to drain. Is that drain built to be completely taken out? or Did I break it? Doesn't seem to be leaking. But now I hear gurgling water down there. Is that just the circ pump? Never heard it before but I never had my head down there either. Did anyone else experience this?

Thanks,
Howie

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Owners
« on: December 05, 2005, 06:34:03 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Sundance Owners
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:11:00 am »
Not sure about the drain as I have an older style with a slice valve, but the gurgling after a drain and fill is probably the Mazzei injector/circ pump which I sometime hear.  I doubt it had anything to do with the drain.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 09:27:10 am »
Get service out there- that drain should be covered under warranty.  Uness you water level is slowly dropping, the gurgling is probably your circulation pump.
If you listen carefully, you can often hear it whooshing.
Brewman

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 09:47:46 am »
I agree the gurgling is most likely the circ pump.  Simply turn the temperature request down until the circ pump stops to confirm our assumptions.

As for the "T" handle on the drain, it should NOT come out and if you were able to put it back in, please let your dealer know about the experience.  IMO the slice valve needs to be replaced, as it will come out again in the future, but I would certainly recommend a fair weather day.  We have 21° weather today and it is not the kind of weather that I would want to drain the spa for a "glue" repair.  Monitor it carefully for any dripping and let your dealer know and so note your records.

The drain is a direct connection to the "suction" side of the plumbing system and does call for some minor "plumbing surgery" for it to be cut out and replaced.  The "T" handle raises and lowers a "paddle" or "gate" to allow the water to drain.  If it pulled out, and it shouldn't, it could have gone back into it's socket, but rest assured it will come out again.

velocity23

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 11:45:43 am »

As for the "T" handle on the drain, it should NOT come out and if you were able to put it back in, please let your dealer know about the experience.  IMO the slice valve needs to be replaced, as it will come out again in the future, but I would certainly recommend a fair weather day.  We have 21° weather today and it is not the kind of weather that I would want to drain the spa for a "glue" repair.  Monitor it carefully for any dripping and let your dealer know and so note your records.

The drain is a direct connection to the "suction" side of the plumbing system and does call for some minor "plumbing surgery" for it to be cut out and replaced.  The "T" handle raises and lowers a "paddle" or "gate" to allow the water to drain.  If it pulled out, and it shouldn't, it could have gone back into it's socket, but rest assured it will come out again.

I don't have a "T" handle. I am referring to the drain on the outside of the spa. You simply screw the female end of the hose on it and give it a slight pull outward the water starts to drain. The piece that came out had 2 Orings on it. They did not look damaged. The plastic piece went back in and when I tried it again it stopped wher it should of the first time and the water started to drain. I am monitoring around the drain to see if any water is leaking.....none yet but I will check it when I get home.

Thanks guys for the response.

Howie

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 11:56:22 am »
You're right, I'm wrong, I was referencing 2004 and prior to which I have experienced that problem.  It was my obvious oversight that failed to recognize your reference to "2005".  Sorry to add to the confusion.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 12:26:08 pm »
The drain will pull all the way out if you pull hard enough.  It will not harm anything if you just put it back in and use it.  

velocity23

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 12:31:52 pm »
"You're right, I'm wrong, I was referencing 2004 and prior to which I have experienced that problem.  It was my obvious oversight that failed to recognize your reference to "2005".  Sorry to add to the confusion. "

J_McD,
I wasn't try to say you were wrong I was just trying to make my problem clear. Thanks

SerjicalStrike,
Thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks

Howie

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 01:17:29 pm »
"Usually" when you drain a 2005 SD, the drain valve clicks/pulls out about 1/4-1/2 an inch.  (Been there, done that for the fall, and will do it again soon, for the winter!)

So, this 'the whole thing pulls out' is strange.

I agree that this probably needs a service call!
--
Lee

velocity23

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:41:59 pm »
I called the service tech and he said it has happened to him before a couple of times. He said it goes right back in and it did. I'll keep an eye on it just to be sure but I trust my Service Tech. I'll be able to sleep tonight :)

Thanks guys

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:41:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42