What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Difference in brands  (Read 3888 times)

Jeff

Difference in brands
« on: August 05, 2000, 11:26:03 pm »
I have been shopping for hot tubs for 2 weeks and have narrowed my decision between the Marquis Coastal Reward and the Sundance Altimar.
They are both similarly priced and I would like your opinion if you feel one is better than the other.  Marquis claims to have a shell made out of Microban which kills the bacteria which I noticed you made reference to in a previous note.  How do you feel their filtration system, heaters,pumps, etc compare to one another?

Thank you for your input and having such a great site.

JB

Hot Tub Forum

Difference in brands
« on: August 05, 2000, 11:26:03 pm »

RBoehme

Re:Difference in brands
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2000, 12:16:47 am »
Microban has never been proven to kill any bacteria. Marquis is very popular in my area and just about everyone I Know that has purchased one recently uses the same amount of chemicals as the owners of any other spa. That shows me that it does not do what marquis claims. I think that they are both good spas but I would not feel comfortable buying a product that claims to do something that it cant prove. That would be like buying a car because the salesman claims that it repells evil. And not having any proof. Ask the dealer to LOOK at the studies that prove microban kills bacteria.
Good luck!

Eric

Re:Difference in brands
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2000, 01:09:21 am »
Wet test both spas and buy the one you like.  Both are quality spas and you will be happy with either one.

kevin

Re:Re:Difference in brands
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2000, 08:53:29 am »
The Marquis salesperson told me bacteria can't adhere to the Microban surface...hence the "ban" part of the word, I guess.

John

Re:Re:Re:Difference in brands
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2000, 12:22:18 am »
I take delivery of my Marquis Voyage Coastal on the morrow!!!
My understanding is that MICROBAN prevents the acrylic material itself from being damaged ie, discolored, stained etc. by organisms which attack plastics.  My neighbor has slowly watched the vinyls and plastics of her patio furniture turn to a very displeasing rust colour over the last two years and the Manuf. says it's secondary to these little buggers.  Check further but THIS was my understanding - it protects the tub, not maintains water quality.

John

Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in brands
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2000, 12:31:16 am »
I was right.  A little digging discovered  www.microban.com
It is a "thing" incorporated into the Lucite acrylic which works to prevent microbial dmage and such to the tub itself, not the water.

Happy Soaking
doc legend

RBoehme

Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Difference in brands
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2000, 02:42:05 am »
Do a little more digging and see if they can show you ONE study that proves it does as they claim. I have been dealing with spas for 15+ years and have not come across any that have had thier shell deteriorated or discolered by bacteria. In fact the only spa shells that I have come across that have been discolored got that way from years of being exposed to the sun or had been exposed to extreme heat. Since niether of these things could be considered bacteria then thier claim about microban doesn't have any bearing. Again I urge you to find proof that it does what they claim before believing them. I have not been able to locate one study. In fact the only thing that I have found out that is good about it is that the FDA has found that it is not harmful. But nothing about it fighting OR repelling germs and bacteria. It just sounds alot like magic snake oil to me.
Good luck in your search!

RBoehme

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2000, 02:51:23 am »
Do a little more digging and see if they can show you ONE study that proves it does as they claim. I have been dealing with spas for 15+ years and have not come across any that have had thier shell deteriorated or discolered by bacteria. In fact the only spa shells that I have come across that have been discolored got that way from years of being exposed to the sun or had been exposed to extreme heat. Since niether of these things could be considered bacteria then thier claim about microban doesn't have any bearing. Again I urge you to find proof that it does what they claim before believing them. I have not been able to locate one study. In fact the only thing that I have found out that is good about it is that the FDA has found that it is not harmful. But nothing about it fighting OR repelling germs and bacteria. It just sounds alot like magic snake oil to me.
Good luck in your search!

Eric

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2000, 02:59:16 am »
Marquis microban is probably a sales hook. If microban where the end all every other spa company would be doing some form of it or be out of business.  Marquis makes a quality spa, but DO NOT let the microban determine what spa you buy.  Hundreds of thousnads of spas have been made, sold and used without microban.  If I am not mistaken Lucite supplies Marquis Acrylic along with many other spa companies.

hotwaterdr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Difference in brands
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 01:28:43 pm »
jb what you really need to do is buy an artesian antigua or captiva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 01:30:24 pm »
jb what you really need to do is buy an artesian antigua or captiva

What you really need to do is buy a HotSpring or a Tiger River.  That's the ticket!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 01:31:28 pm »
Never mind, I forgot.  Jeff bought a Sovereign from me about 5 years ago.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 01:49:02 pm »
That's an old post?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 05:19:45 pm »
Every so often these golden oldies pop up.
Not sure how or why.........
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 05:30:11 pm »
it seems like there should be a lock on threads after ...what maybe 90 days or so....for me that is even to long but why add to something that is 4 or 5 years old or even after 60 days....of course reading old threads is fine...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 05:30:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42