What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Disposable filters - when to change?  (Read 3019 times)

Debra

Disposable filters - when to change?
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:55:24 am »
How does one know when a disposable filter needs to be changed?  We have dumped our water and refilled twice now and we've only had our tub since the middle of September.   We've had problems with cloudiness and a hint of greenish colour so we figured the easiest way to combat that was with new water.  But we're not sure how to tell if our filter is still OK.

Hot Tub Forum

Disposable filters - when to change?
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:55:24 am »

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
Re: Disposable filters - when to change?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 09:15:06 am »
How does one know when a disposable filter needs to be changed?  We have dumped our water and refilled twice now and we've only had our tub since the middle of September.  

Supposed to be every 3 months when you change the water. I've heard reports of them breaking down over time, so I wouldn't want to leave it too long. I have one that's been in about 2 weeks and it looks pretty cruddy already.
If I were you, I'd change the filter by christmas, or the next water change, whichever comes first.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 09:21:11 am »
what kind of tub do you have?

I am guessing that you have a light color shell as well.  The green is normal in light color tubs.  Could just be the water that comes out of your tub.

The cloudy is another issue.  What type of sanatizer do you use.  I use bromine and Ifound that my water was always cloudy in the beginning because of a new tub owner and over use of chemicals.

Now I just add what is required and im fine.  Just make sure your bromine andalk are in good order.

Also, I find lifting the cover and running a cycle or two, helps clear up the water.

Now to your question.  Disposable filters are rated for three months.  sometimes less sometimes more.

I would say take a look at it.  In the beginning, they get jammed with oils from your body getting use to the tub.

My second disposable is working great now that I am use to the tub, and have not been using it 5 times a day.

Dont forget this.  When you add new water, it takes a few days for the water to get clear sometimes.  when you change the water your not giving it a chance to work in.

oh yeah, another thing i have learned.  water softner is great, it feels so nice  but it can cause cloudy water.

i think that is it.  dont sweat it, you will get the hang of it sooner or later.  

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:23:09 am »
hey keating, how is your arctic.  I hope you are loving it.  anyways the filter break down is normal initially.  my dealer said that the first filter takes a beating, but once you slow down all your rookie hot tub moves, the filters last longer.

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 10:02:13 am »
hey keating, how is your arctic.  I hope you are loving it.  anyways the filter break down is normal initially.  my dealer said that the first filter takes a beating, but once you slow down all your rookie hot tub moves, the filters last longer.

Hey Bos.
Mixed feelings.
I love the Arctic....if I were to go back and get a different tub, it would be another Arctic.

I wanted the Frontier.....loved the two quasi-loungers with jets behind the legs (comparing Ultra models) and the two captain chairs.....one with the hand/wrist massage, and one with the big mega back blasters......plus the fact that it was a bit smaller....easier on the well to fill, easier on hydro to heat.....sufficient for the two of us, plus occasional guests....we've had 5 people max in the tub so far.....Oh, and the Frontier has the elevated perimeter like your Tundra, so if you fill the tub up nice and high, an extra couple people don't make it overflow.

But anyway...my wife wanted the shoulder jets....only available on the Avalanche and the Yukon.....I didn't get to wet test the seat with the shoulder jets, just sat in it dry to see if I fit, which I did.....but with the bouyancy of the water, I have two choices in that seat.....slouch down so my shoulders aren't jammed into the horns the shoulder jets are mounted on, which means the lower jets are too far from my lower back, or lean forwards away from the shoulder horns so I can press my lower back deep into the seat.....well there's a third option.....wedge myself into the seat with my sholders pinned under the shoulder jets. (BTW, I'm only 5'8")

Since we've had the tub, the shoulder jets have been turned on once, to complaints of splashing water in her face, and not doing anything therapeutic.....and she's discovered that the top two 5" rotating jets in the mega back blaster seat hit the areas she wanted massaged anyway.  >:(  >:(

So if I could do the whole thing again, I'd put my foot down and get the Frontier, but I'm still happy with everything else about the tub.....on the whole, I'm probably happier than I would have been If I'd told my wife she couldn't have the tub she wanted.  ;D

Basically to reinforce what everyone here has said a million times before, wet test EVERY seat.....don't assume because you sat in one seat in one tub, that the same style seat is the same in another tub by the same company.....something as simple as a different size or location of jet could ruin it for you.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 12:34:28 pm »
why dont you exchange it.  arctic has a one year return no penalty and you just bay delivery

I have a friend who bought the avalanche and did not like the feel and exchanged it to the tundra.

One year from purchase date.

Tom

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 10:39:09 am »
why dont you exchange it. Arctic has a one year return no penalty and you just pay delivery.

Such an exchange is at dealer discretion only. It is possible that not every dealer (and especially not smaller dealers) would do this.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:07:37 pm »
oh i see.  sorry to miss inform you, that is what my dealer offered.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:07:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42