What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Heat Loss Question  (Read 4564 times)

ridgeback13

Cover Heat Loss Question
« on: November 23, 2005, 09:21:03 pm »
Hi,

I have a D1 Diplomat and am going into my first winter with it here in Ontario, Canada.  I have noticed vapor coming out the sides of the cover at the seam when it is cold out and when it snows, the snow melts along the seam line.  Is this normal?.  The tub has been great so far and the energy usage has been good as well. I just want to make sure the standard D1 cover is going to do the job adequately for the upcoming winter.

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Heat Loss Question
« on: November 23, 2005, 09:21:03 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: Cover Heat Loss Question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 09:24:36 pm »
that does not sound good to me.  I just posted pics, check them out.  No snow loss at the seem and no heat out the sides.  Only steam was when the tub cover opened.

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 10:25:23 pm »
I am a new spa owner as well and I was wondering how well these covers work as I shoveled 6" of snow of it tonight.  You might consider finding a pool solar cover and cutting it to size.  This would lay on top of the water under the dimension cover.   Some posts have suggested this as a plus toward heat retention.  Others worried about the inside solar cover messing up filtration.  In theory, it sounds like a good idea to me.

let's see what others have to say....

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 10:32:59 pm »
#1.) Are your air venturri's closed?  If you have air bubbles being introduced within the jet streams, close your air venturri's.  Passing air through the water, only introduces air to be exhausted where the air pressure can be released, the seams.  You will see steam and icicles will form.

ridgeback13

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 11:03:07 pm »
Sorry, Not quite sure what you mean by venturi's being closed?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 08:12:22 am »
The venturis are the on/off valves that introduce air to the jets to increase the therapy.  The handles would be located topside around the spa.  Air venturi valves should be closed when spa is not being used.

nicker

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 08:32:10 am »
I too live in Ontario (London) and last year was our first year with our tub.  I too noticed that along the seem or fold it would melt the snow.   But the rest of the cover would be fine.   My cover only has the bean bag things on the edges of the seams.  I know some have a foam peice down the entire seem. The next cover I buy will have that.  I must be better. One trick I do is when you get out and close the cover. I grab the flaps on the oposite side of where I am and pull the cover at the seam area tight.  That prevents any steam or heat loss at the fold on the sides.  All and all thought my hydro bill for last winter was very minimal. I would think it was only about $25.00 at most more then with out the tub.

Now if the snow was melting all over your cover I'd be worried about the r value of your cover.  

Kelly

• Hot Springs Accolade!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2005, 09:48:05 am »
A trick I figured out one cold morning after noticing two columns of steam rising from either side of the tub cover.

It's my first winter w/ a tub too and I never considered that after closing the cover I needed to give it a slight nudge backward w/ my hand to compress the little pads that fill the gap below the center seam. Since I figured that out, I've had to top off the tub alot less frequently.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 12:10:34 pm »
D-1 venturi's cant be closed. They are always on. The tub does have a circ pump (unless its an @home).

Their cover does not have what I call a linear heat seal along the seam. many tubs do not.

I am blown away how many covers do not have foam along the seam. Most Canadian manufacturer's do (Hydropool, Beachcomber, Arctic) and some American made ones do too like Coleman. If you tub does have the seal and I didnt mention it, please add to my list.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 12:16:25 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2005, 02:14:55 pm »
D-1 venturi's cant be closed. They are always on. The tub does have a circ pump (unless its an @home).

Their cover does not have what I call a linear heat seal along the seam. many tubs do not.

I am blown away how many covers do not have foam along the seam. Most Canadian manufacturer's do (Hydropool, Beachcomber, Arctic) and some American made ones do too like Coleman. If you tub does have the seal and I didnt mention it, please add to my list.

HotTubman you know so much about so many brands I envy you. I really wish you still sold Coleman Spas cuz you were such a great voice for them.

Are you working today while us Yanks are eating, drinking, napping, and watching football, at least at my house we are. LOL

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 02:29:52 pm »

HotTubman you know so much about so many brands I envy you. I really wish you still sold Coleman Spas cuz you were such a great voice for them.

Are you working today while us Yanks are eating, drinking, napping, and watching football, at least at my house we are. LOL

I am at work as we speak. I am eating somne chicken wings though bn,mljkg oops got sauce on the keyboard ;)

spahappy

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 02:44:00 pm »
Hows your weather up there today? Has the spa traffic been good?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 06:19:00 pm »
Spa traffic is better in November than it was in October. I would say its been decent for a Novemeber.

We also carry fitness equipment at this store. I expect that to do well through January, we will see.

The weather? Cold for November. We just got about 3-4 inches last night.

How are things in N Dakota?

spahappy

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 05:02:53 pm »
Cold and 36 today, I'm here by myself cuz my co-worker is on vacation in Hawaii this week :'( :'(

We're usually not busy the day after Thanksgiving, not the case this year. It's 3:00pm and I just now sat down at my desk for the first time today. I wrapped up two spa deals and lots  fireplace action today.

Both Walmart and Herbergers had huge sales that started at 5:00 am. Some people had already been shopping for 4 hours when I got to work this morning.

Beer 30 can't come fast enough!!!

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 05:54:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42