What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter Soaking for extended periods.  (Read 2732 times)

fletch49

Filter Soaking for extended periods.
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:35:50 pm »
I have been soaking my filters in a filter cartridge cleaner for about a week, then letting them sit in water for another week...

Does letting the filters sit in the cleaning solution for such an extended period reduce the life of the filters?

Hot Tub Forum

Filter Soaking for extended periods.
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:35:50 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Filter Soaking for extended periods.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 07:52:34 pm »
Why would you do that?  The filter cleaner I use only requires about 20 minutes.  I would think that the chems would start acting adversely towards your filters if left for more than a day.  I wouldn't do it.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 08:03:30 pm »
I forgot and left mine in that long once, and it started to soften the plastic ends of the filters. It wasn't real noticable until you drug your fingernails accross it. Normal plastic would just squeak, but in this case my nail dug in.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fletch49

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 08:08:32 pm »
Why would you do that?  The filter cleaner I use only requires about 20 minutes.  I would think that the chems would start acting adversely towards your filters if left for more than a day.  I wouldn't do it.

Terminator

The filter cleaner that I use recommends a 12 hour soak. I actually took that advise from a friend that has owned a spa for a number of years.

I guess I do remember seeing a corrosive symbol on the container... :-[

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 08:37:24 pm »
I tell people to soak it 24 hrs. I wouldn't let it sit for more than a couple days but at teh same time I'm not sure it'll do much harm to it.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:18:57 pm »
Most filter cleaners are some type of acid.  That's how they dissolve the oils, gunk and especially the calcium buildup on the filter fabric if you have hard water.  If you soak your filters, next time watch the bubbles rise from your filters after you dunk them.  That's the acidic cleaner at work dissovling the calcium particles.

As expensive as filters are, I wouldn't chance soaking them that long and possibly ruining them.

-Sarge
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 09:18:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42