What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can you paint/stain the HS Everwood cabinet?  (Read 14853 times)

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
Can you paint/stain the HS Everwood cabinet?
« on: November 21, 2005, 08:28:24 pm »
I have a question for all of the HS folks about the everwood cabinet.  I have had my grandee for a month now and all is peachy.  However, I think my wife is not enamored with the "redwood" color of the cabinet and has hinted that I should paint/stain it to match the deck.  (Our tub sits on top of the deck and the deck is stained a tan color).

Does anyone know if this everwood material accepts paint or stain?  Does this void the warranty of the cabinet if I do choose to paint / stain it?

Thanks in advance for help from those who have thoughts on this matter.

Hot Tub Forum

Can you paint/stain the HS Everwood cabinet?
« on: November 21, 2005, 08:28:24 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Can you paint/stain the HS Everwood cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 08:34:27 pm »
Your deck and pergola look so nice..does the hot tub really have to match?  Just my opinion but I think it looks beautiful already!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

autoplay

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 09:22:48 pm »
I would think you would need to apply a "bonderizer" to the plastic.  Have no clue to be honest,as far as something sticking to that kind of surface.  Wife and I have the same cabinet,and we love it. Looks the same as the day we bought it. And,as most stuff won't stick to it,it's easy maintenance.  

How bout purchasing a vinyl spa skirt,from Doc-spa?  He has over 300 colors to choose from. I believe Doc-spa is getting terminator a camoflauged 1 for christmas. (btw doc,i get 5% of the profits,for this looney idea/grin)

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 09:29:48 pm »
thanks bonibelle...

I am siding with not painting for a multitude of reasons.  I will share you post with my wife and we can leave well enough alone/

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:26:52 pm »
Once you begin painting something, you will always be painting it and since the idea of the everwood cabinet is for it to be maintenance free, my suggestion would be against painting.

As for the color, I have a redwood skirt on my sovreign and I stained my deck honey gold this year and I've gotten a number of compliments from my neighbors and friends who say the contrast is nice.  The redwood also matches the lava rock I landscaped with this summer.  I have a few pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/lawdawgva
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 08:07:05 am »
Your deck and tub are beautiful, I agree, the contrast is nice!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 09:17:35 am »
Prune,

I agree with the folks that your set up is very  nice, and I woudn't worry to much about the colors.

I have a tiger river spa with the "shurewood" cabinet (ie: Plastic,). If the Hotspring cabinet is even remotely similliar, you'd have a hard time painting it, you might be able to go with an automotive or marine grade paint, but  I think it would look like sh_t.

You cannot stain a non permeable surface, so I'd get off that track quickly.

However, there are a few ways to skin this cat...

You could, re-stain the deck to match the tub, or stain the deck a neautral color to blend and coordinate better.

You could re-side the hot tub cabinet.  Remove the perma wood and replace it with the wood of your choice and stain appropriately.

Build a wrap around bar for the tub  that matches the deck.

Me? I'd leave it alone.  I've see wooden tub skirts that haven't been maintained and they look horrible.  But a well maininted wooden tub skirt is stunning.

Let us know what you decide to do.

:D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 09:21:43 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 11:38:18 am »
Does anyone know if this everwood material accepts paint or stain?  Does this void the warranty of the cabinet if I do choose to paint / stain it?

It may void the warranty relative to the slats themselves but I doubt that would be a big issue for you. My guess is you'll have better luck with a paint than a stain. If you want to do this I'd ask the dealer if they have a scrap piece or two of material you can have to test the stain/paint on.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 11:39:58 am »
I believe Sherwin Williams carries a special paint that will adhere to the Everwood.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 11:46:26 am »
I believe Sherwin Williams carries a special paint that will adhere to the Everwood.

Terminator
A-100 exterior latex satin finish, #A82 series paint.  Also to be used with B51W50 Prep- Rite Anchor Bond whit interior-exterior primer.  Color can be formulated to that of which is desired.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:14:49 pm »
And it will not void your warranty. However, you might end up repainting every couple of years.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 03:52:22 pm »
you could alsoput a bunch of stickers on the tub.  That would make it look classy and cover up the offending clash of colors. (not that I thin there is any) I suggest NASCAR stickers. :)

Serioulsy, you could stain the railings  on the deck to match the tubs skirt. That would give the whole thing a customed matched look.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 03:52:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42