What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Service in the post dealer era -Spa tech needed  (Read 5848 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Service in the post dealer era -Spa tech needed
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:19:05 pm »
We stress being comfortable with the dealer while buying, but as Lori and I both now, sometimes even that isn't good enough.   But at least with Lori, she has a bigger named tub and a reasonably close other dealer.

My dealer closed their doors a couple of months ago. I have been ok till now. Of course this couldn't happen last week when it was 70 all week.  No, its this week with the first sub freezing temps of the year.

Refresher for everyone -  Dynasty Excalibur 4000 - 2003 model.  I believe it uses a Gecko control pack.   Changed the water 2 weeks ago, including putting in clean filters.   I haven't been able to use the tub for 2 days because of storms.   Went out today, the tub was set at 104, but it was 100, and that was way too cold for  the cold windy day.  I closed the cover, turned the jets on, 15 minutes later it was up to 101.   Waited a couple of hours, checked again it was down to 99.  Called Dynasty - Oh, yea, on the temp display there is 3 dots blinking that haven't been blinking before.   Here is what the manual says

A problem has been detected.
Do not enter the water! Check and open water valves.
Clean filter if necessary. Check water level. Add water
if necessary.
Shut power off and power your spa up again to reset the
system.
Call your dealer or service supplier if problem persists.

Too late, I was already in the water !  Called
Dynasty, they had me pull the filters - no change.
Closed things up, called the tech # they gave me.  HAven't heard back from him yet, but I found out he has a day job, and has been helping Dynasty out since the dealership here closed.   So I can wait to hear from him. I called my sister in law who had a guy who serviced her Dynasty. He told me to again take the filters out, turn the power off the tub, and this time leave it off 20 minutes, turn it on and see if it clears.   10 more minutes to go on that one. He mentioned a pressure switch possible problem and I asked about the old tapping with a screw driver and he gave me his opinion on that.  I'll hold that in reserve if I needed it. I'll see what happens!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Service in the post dealer era -Spa tech needed
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:19:05 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
Re: Service in the post dealer era -Spa tech neede
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:37:53 pm »
Power up after reset and the flashing dots are still there.  I put the filters back in and there is definitely strong suction that and both pumps run.  What is this pressure switch anyway?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 08:40:03 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:59:01 pm »
The pressure switch is the redundant back up that prevents the heater circuit from activating when there isnt sufficient water flow.

It sounds like the pressure switch has failed-- possibly in the 'closed' postion,... since the tub will not reset, the board in the Gecko control pack 'knows' something is wrong thereby deactivating the heater circuit.

To test, you can use a digital multimeter to check for continuity with the spa 'off'. If you get a circuit through the pressure switch- the part is defective.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 09:08:14 pm »
The pressure switch is the redundant back up that prevents the heater circuit from activating when there isnt sufficient water flow.

It sounds like the pressure switch has failed-- possibly in the 'closed' postion,... since the tub will not reset, the board in the Gecko control pack 'knows' something is wrong thereby deactivating the heater circuit.

To test, you can use a digital multimeter to check for continuity with the spa 'off'. If you get a circuit through the pressure switch- the part is defective.

Thanks with decent weather, I'll look at that in the morning.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 10:08:11 pm »
The tech finally called tonight and it seems its unanimous, everyone says its the pressure switch. He confirmed he works a day job, he will come Saturday or Sunday and try to adjust the switch.  I called Dynasty and left a message to see if they will send me a switch. (per his suggestion) I'll follow up tomorrow and see if I can get them to overnight it. I may give the tap the switch a try tomorrow, if I can find the time, I've got a few service calls of my own :)

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 10:41:45 pm »
It appears to be a flow isssue, I would prefer a replacement of the "flow switch" or "pressure switch" which ever.  Common symptom, nothing to be alarmed about, new pressure switch should do the trick.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 10:42:34 pm by J._McD »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 04:46:55 pm »
It is definitely a pressure switch issue. Dynasty is sending me a new switch. I tried the screwdriver trick to no avail, but when I called Dynasty, I told them there guy couldn't be here till Saturday and I was a competent person around electricity and he had he pull one lead off of the pressure swictch and put it back on. This allowed the heater to start, but he said it would cut back out again when the pump went off. Could I just leave it off?  I decided to instead turn the filtration up to continous for the next couple of days so the pump won't turn off. (Heat and filter run on pump #1)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 01:43:22 pm »
Dynasty sent me the pressure switch. I had to use my credit card and get a refund when I send the old one back, but I don't feel terrible about it. They were helpful on the phone and got the part out overnight. I hope to see the Spa Tech tommorow, but its the Michigan game, and I won't mind if he puts it off till Sunday. I can at least soak

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 02:33:31 pm »
Well, I'm back up and running again. The tech came as promised.  He is a former tech for my dealer, so I knew him.  He quit before the dealer went belly up so he couldn't tell me much.   He advised me ahead of time that there were be a $29.99 trip charge since I took care of the part situation.   Since he is doing construction during the day and taking calls for Dynasty on evenings and weekends, I figured he would prefer cash.  ATM's around here only have $20s these days, but I figured $40 would be worth it to have my tub 100% again.  

Now all I have to do it return the part to Dynasty and get credit and this will be done. Dynasty has been very supportive to this point, so I don't anticipate any problems.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 04:49:15 pm »
Sorry, I was at the show and didn't see this...

Um....Bill...bet it's the pressure switch ;) ;D

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 09:23:12 am »
I'm so glad you got the problem rectified, Bill!  It is nice to know Dynasty is taking care of you!  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 09:23:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42