What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Dealer?  (Read 3905 times)

econstl

New Dealer?
« on: November 18, 2005, 09:23:31 am »
I am in the process of buying a tub and trying to check out all of the options in my area.  There is a dealer who is just starting to carry Artesian - which from this forum I gather is a decent tub.  This line is so new for them that they do not have any floor models yet.  But, so that I could wet test the tub that I am interested in (Onyx) they have ordered that tub (in my color selection) as one of their floor models (and mine if I decide to purchase).  

My question:  Do you think it is wise/unwise to buy from, a dealer who is just starting to sell a particular line? (Also, they already sell Saratoga)

If you are okay with commenting I am curious if the price they are quoting is reasonable (I am not sure if they know how to price these tubs yet): $7999 for start up, cover, ozone, light, pillow fall, and delivery.

Hot Tub Forum

New Dealer?
« on: November 18, 2005, 09:23:31 am »

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: New Dealer?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 09:49:37 am »
I am not a dealer, just a past tub owner currently considering a new one. The dealer I bought from before switched from Sundance to Artesian about 10 months ago. He has been in the spa business along time, and I would have no second thoughts about buying an Artesian from him just because he is new to the line. He has had very good sales with Artesian, and very few problems with them in the field. I think the price sounds pretty good. I was quoted $8,000 for an Opal. It is in the Gold line like the Onyx, but it is also smaller. That price included all you have listed plus tax and a covelift. Good luck.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 10:00:05 am »
econstl,
Check the dealer with the Better Business Bureau at http://search.bbb.org/search.html and/or your local Chamber of Commerce.
They're both good places to start.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 10:45:56 am »
BBB can be bought and sold.
Homeworks Financing Representative

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 10:51:04 am »
BBB can be bought and sold.

True but as I said, it's a good place to start.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 11:25:27 am »
True but as I said, it's a good place to start.

Phil

Fair enough. As Jeff pointed out, the quality & reputation of the dealer is more important. I would like to hear from a dealer that switch or added a brand why they made a change.

Some dealers may add brand X because brand Y just isnt offerring a configuration, feature or price point that is important in that market.

Some manufacurers change policies or open too many dealerships (or allow the wrong person to open one) that would comprimise the profitability or stability of the original dealer.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 11:34:20 am »
 I was told by my Sundance dealer that they got the line when the existing Sundance dealer in the area wasn't performing to Sundances expectations somehow.
Not sure what if any the issues were, but that's the story they gave me.
Brewman

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 11:52:16 am »
I would think that people wouldn't generally switch away from one of the top 2 selling brands on their own accord. They most likely got the Sundance line yanked from them. Find out why, go from there.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 02:20:49 pm »
I agree.  Even if they wanted to carry Artesian there would be no need or no sense to drop Sundance.  

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 02:26:38 pm »
I hear what you guys are saying, but I have read some tales on here regarding Sundance and some issues with dealers in Michigan. Forgive me for not remembering the name of the dealer, but if my memory serves Sundance granted dealership rights to a very large, multi-store chain in Michigan. This effectively put the "sqeeze" on many of the smaller dealers who could not compete based on price with the larger buying group.

It has been a few months since this info was posted, perhaps someone closer to the situation can clarify or repeat the events I am refferring to.

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 04:39:44 pm »
I hear what you guys are saying, but I have read some tales on here regarding Sundance and some issues with dealers in Michigan. Forgive me for not remembering the name of the dealer, but if my memory serves Sundance granted dealership rights to a very large, multi-store chain in Michigan. This effectively put the "sqeeze" on many of the smaller dealers who could not compete based on price with the larger buying group.

It has been a few months since this info was posted, perhaps someone closer to the situation can clarify or repeat the events I am refferring to.

Unfotunately that did happen in the Detroit area. A very large dealer out of Ohio wanted a presence in the Detroit Metro area and a couple smaller dealers got squeezed out. If this is the case in your area then it doesn't reflect poorly on that small dealers customer service, just their ability to sell a lot of tubs. These Mega-Dealers are a trend I don't see ending. So.....Sell a lot of tubs, open more stores, become a Mega-Dealer yourself! (easier said than done, I realize!)

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 12:48:50 pm »
Well, you got that right.

Good Dealers are very important because they are in the "people" business.  They are expected to take care of you after the sale and you should expect a long lasting relationship with a dealer, even IF he should change brands.

There have been an increasing number of quality dealers that have had their relationships terminated and displaced by Super Stores that presumably will do higher volume.  This happened in the Chicago area, the Detroit area and I am sure many other areas.  This does not necessarily mean the "super stores" will be known for customer care services, nor does it mean the "mom's and pop's" that have been displaced are anything less than they were before.  Chances are very good, they will be a better choice for customer care over the super store who is more likely to be measuring ROI of the various departments and SKU items, not customer service which can be a loss operation after the money is made.

With 21 years in this industry and 16 award winning years in both sales growth and "exceptional customer care" with SD it was as simple as them saying, we are going to terminate our relationship as of whenever.  That makes this a "dog eat dog" world and a very competitive industry.

Going through our transition, we have found the corporate/investor owned manufacturers to be more focused on numbers that relate to marketshare and increased profits, while privately owned manufacturers seem to care more about the people, such as the dealers and the consumers that buy and sell their products.

Gair

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 01:41:42 pm »
We have a dealer in this area that had their Sundance line pulled and given to a new multi brand big box store.  (The Great Escape)  They had carried the Sundance line for many years.  They were given just a few weeks notification they would not have the contracted renewed.  This dealer had an outstanding reputation.  I know several that have purchased from The Great Escape and have trouble. They contracted out all their service.  One of the men I work with bought a very large pool from them.  It was setup in July and they never were able to use it this year.  This Local dealer now carries the BullFrog line.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 01:46:52 pm by Gair »

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 01:59:32 pm »
Ultimatly, the manufacturers that look for the big box mega spa stores to sell their spas will have their reputations hurt in the long run. We are already hearing the fall out right here in this thread. Unfortunatly, 99.9% of spa shoppers hear one thing and one thing only when buying a spa and that is the bottom line price. I sell a high quality product made by a well respected manufacturer, but regularly lose deals to my big box competitor BECAUSE price price price. Everyone in this market (even the customers) knows their service department is non existant. But you know what, the customer does not care. The only thing the customer cares about is how much money is cooming out of my pocket RIGHT NOW. It is very unfortunate when 6 months or a year down the road and they call for warranty service and get the run around. I talk to these people every day "why did you buy that (piece of crap, never audible) spa?" Oh, well, we got a GREAT DEAL. And right there I have to bite my tongue. I think I'm ranting. Done.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 02:00:26 pm by Wisoki »
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

J._McD

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 04:02:15 pm »
Ultimatly, the manufacturers that look for the big box mega spa stores to sell their spas will have their reputations hurt in the long run. We are already hearing the fall out right here in this thread. Unfortunatly, 99.9% of spa shoppers hear one thing and one thing only when buying a spa and that is the bottom line price. I sell a high quality product made by a well respected manufacturer, but regularly lose deals to my big box competitor BECAUSE price price price. Everyone in this market (even the customers) knows their service department is non existant. But you know what, the customer does not care. The only thing the customer cares about is how much money is cooming out of my pocket RIGHT NOW. It is very unfortunate when 6 months or a year down the road and they call for warranty service and get the run around. I talk to these people every day "why did you buy that (piece of crap, never audible) spa?" Oh, well, we got a GREAT DEAL. And right there I have to bite my tongue. I think I'm ranting. Done.

Amen Brother, you try to tell them and they are their own worst enemy.  It IS all about the amount they pay, it is not the water test, it is not the dealer, it is all about the DEAL.    Then when they come in to talk to us because they won't deal with them anymore when the truth is known, they all tell you how they thought they were getting a great deal, but now realize the got the short end of the stick.

When you discount your prices to close them, they think there still may be more to come out of the price.  When your desperate for the sale, (perish the thought eh!) they get spooked and think something is wrong.

It seems, unless you lie to them, give them a $5,000 cash rebate due in three years (yeah sure), strip out the foam and put in a tv, overprice the spa and give them a big discount along with the rebate, you are just not a good enough DEAL and they pass you up.

Lucky us. ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 04:05:54 pm by J._McD »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 04:02:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42