What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I doing this right?  (Read 2439 times)

drprwnap

Am I doing this right?
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:14:45 am »
OK gang here's my chemical situation (I'll try my best to keep it organized).
Got my Epic on Oct. 15.  Was told by the dealer to set the bromine at 3 and the minerals wide open. After a couple of weeks, I dialed the minerals down to 3. I've programed an extra 2 hour filter cycle in the early morning and early afternoon.
The first problem I had was the dreaded "brown ring".
Got a small bottle of scale and stain, used the entire bottle and no problems since.
When I test the water with the strips, alk. seems ok. pH is 7.8 (I think). Since I hate the test strips, I've been taking a sample to a dealer, usually on Sat.  For the past couple of weeks, I've had to add 1/4 cup of alk. up and 1 or 2 tsp of pH down.
A couple of weeks ago, I bought some di-chlor.  I use 1 tsp. per bather when we're finished.  This did not make a difference on the alk. up issue.  I had to raise it with and without the di-chlor routine.
Also, last week I bought a bottle of Spa Perfect. Using 1 capfull per week.
I shock on Sundays with MPS.
Two weeks ago, I cleaned my filters. Thought I rinsed them enough- WRONG!  Now, I have a small foam issue. Not really a problem, it's not that bad.
Anyway, am I overdoing things?  Is the di-chor necessary?  Also, should I leave the cover open (and how long) for it to gas off or is it a non-issue because of the small amount?
Yes, my water is clear but I don't want to over chem. the spa.

drprwnap  8)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Hot Tub Forum

Am I doing this right?
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:14:45 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Am I doing this right?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 10:39:37 am »

Are you using both Dichlor and Bromine?  

I cut back on the spa perfect to 1-2 a month and had less of the residual fizzy foam.  
07 Caldera Geneva

drprwnap

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 10:44:41 am »
Yes, I'm using both. The Epic has the in-line frog system.
One cartridge is minerals, the other is bromine.  I'm using the di-chlor to make sure I'm killing everything asap (or so I hope).
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 10:48:49 am »
Yes, I'm using both. The Epic has the in-line frog system.
One cartridge is minerals, the other is bromine.  I'm using the di-chlor to make sure I'm killing everything asap (or so I hope).

Sounds like too much sanitizer then.  It's usally either Bromine or Dichlor, not both.  What are you free Cl readings?

Perhaps the Spa Doc or another  poster who is versed in these matters can help, as I am not an expert, but  its my understanding these are not compatable in the same tub.  

07 Caldera Geneva

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:47:28 am »
Sounds like you are over thinking it. If your bromine levels are acceptable, you dont need any additional sanitizer. If you want to shock after each (to eliminate waste: sweat, body oils, etc.) use I'd use te MPS. It wont increase your bromine levels like di-chlor will. And YES leave your cover open when you shock!

As far as the TA and PH, get the TA in range and your PH will stabilize.(though it should still rise slowly)

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 11:54:34 am »
I'm following your thread, drprwnap.  I'm going to keep the routine I have as it seems to be ok.  Just having a bit of cloudy water.  I think part of my problem may be that when I add the shock per week that my jets aren't running long enough.  Instructions say 15 minutes but I think the program cuts them off.  

I don't have the programming down at all.  I've just let the spa do what it was setup as when we got it.
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 11:54:34 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42