What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ask Alan about: Ozone and a mineral purifier  (Read 2820 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Ask Alan about: Ozone and a mineral purifier
« on: November 17, 2005, 01:38:32 am »
Has anyone gone to Alan's website? I believe he is a chemist who specializes in pool and spa water chemistry.
http://www.askalanaquestion.com/myweb2/index.htm

Anyway, he recommends using ozone and a Mineral Purifier (N2).  He claims you don't need an additional sanitizer (dichlor) in conjunction with ozone and N2.  I don't think Vermonter would agree but I thought it was interesting.  What do you think?  
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting Set Up?

Great web site Alan.  I am in the process of setting up a spa (approx 450 gal).  I will be installing an ozonator and probably using a mineral purifier.  I would like to minimize bromine and chlorine, and minimize maintenance.  Can you recommend a top of the line corona discharge ozonator?  Secondly, are there any other devices I can install that will automatically balance the water, so maintenance is reduced?  Lastly, can you recommend which chemicals would be best suited, both type and brand.  Thanks again.

Steven, 4/20/2003

I suggest that you pay a visit to your local spa dealer.  He should be able to suggest a corona-discharge ozonator that will be suitable for use with your spa.  This type of unit is much more popular today, than it was 10-15 years ago. The use of a mineral purifier will add a backup sanitizer and should avoid all need for you to have to add any chlorine or bromine.  In addition, this combination will minimize the frequency of pH and total alkalinity adjustments.  Having the water tested and balanced, will get you off on the right foot.  Thereafter, some periodic adjustments will have to be made, based upon the usage patterns of your spa and the nature of your source water.  There is nothing that will automatically balance the water -- at least nothing that you should get involved with.  I hope that I have been of assistance.  Thanks for visiting the website and enjoy the spa.

Sincerely.  Alan Schuster, 4/21/2003

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 01:40:33 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Ask Alan about: Ozone and a mineral purifier
« on: November 17, 2005, 01:38:32 am »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Ask Alan about: Ozone and a mineral purifier
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:52:36 am »
They say you can use N2, Ozone, and MPS with no chlorine. But if you do you will be dissapointed.
Retired

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 09:18:50 am »
I have been using my hottub with a N2 cartridge and a Del Eclipse Platinum Ozonator for a while now.  I use SpaGuard Enhanced Shock once a week (which contains a percentage of dichlor) but do not maintain a chlorine residual during the week.  

I could not be happier.  No water issues, easy to balance, crystal clear all the time.  I think the beneficial factor is that my HS Sovreign has the 24/7 circ pump so the N2 always has water flowing over thus introducing the sanitizing minerals into the water all the time; and the ozonator is introducing ozone into the water 24/7 also.  I'm not sure the results would be as good in a tub with a timer for filtration cycles throughout the day.  Ozone is very short lived in water so it needs to be introduced constantly in order to be most effective.

As I said, many may disagree, but for me, it has worked extremely well and has cut down on chemical usage greatly.
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:42:40 am »
Has anyone gone to Alan's website? I believe he is a chemist who specializes in pool and spa water chemistry.
http://www.askalanaquestion.com/myweb2/index.htm

Anyway, he recommends using ozone and a Mineral Purifier (N2). Â He claims you don't need an additional sanitizer (dichlor) in conjunction with ozone and N2. Â I don't think Vermonter would agree but I thought it was interesting. Â What do you think? Â
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting Set Up?

Great web site Alan.  I am in the process of setting up a spa (approx 450 gal).  I will be installing an ozonator and probably using a mineral purifier.  I would like to minimize bromine and chlorine, and minimize maintenance.  Can you recommend a top of the line corona discharge ozonator?  Secondly, are there any other devices I can install that will automatically balance the water, so maintenance is reduced?  Lastly, can you recommend which chemicals would be best suited, both type and brand.  Thanks again.

Steven, 4/20/2003

I suggest that you pay a visit to your local spa dealer.  He should be able to suggest a corona-discharge ozonator that will be suitable for use with your spa.  This type of unit is much more popular today, than it was 10-15 years ago. The use of a mineral purifier will add a backup sanitizer and should avoid all need for you to have to add any chlorine or bromine.  In addition, this combination will minimize the frequency of pH and total alkalinity adjustments.  Having the water tested and balanced, will get you off on the right foot.  Thereafter, some periodic adjustments will have to be made, based upon the usage patterns of your spa and the nature of your source water.  There is nothing that will automatically balance the water -- at least nothing that you should get involved with.  I hope that I have been of assistance.  Thanks for visiting the website and enjoy the spa.

Sincerely.  Alan Schuster, 4/21/2003

ELimate sanitizers with 03 and a mineral pack?

Uh, yea.  Thanks Allan.  

Remind me never to get into allen's tub.
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 09:49:02 am »
The issue is not that it won't work, but that it only works for a certain percentage of people.  
The problem arises when those people tell others "I only use chlorine once a week," then the friends try that, and end up with pseudomonis.  

You cannot accurately measure ozone and ions on a regular basis, so there is no way to know if there is enough of either one to be effective.  Everybody's body chemistry is different, so what my take 1tsp. of chlorine after every use for one person, may take 1tbsp. of chlorine for someone else.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 09:55:03 am »
The issue is not that it won't work, but that it only works for a certain percentage of people.  
The problem arises when those people tell others "I only use chlorine once a week," then the friends try that, and end up with pseudomonis.  

You cannot accurately measure ozone and ions on a regular basis, so there is no way to know if there is enough of either one to be effective.  Everybody's body chemistry is different, so what my take 1tsp. of chlorine after every use for one person, may take 1tbsp. of chlorine for someone else.  

That is a very good point.  I would also think the amount of people using the tub, the amount of time they soak in the tub, and the frequency of use would be of significant concern as well.
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 10:05:34 am »

That is a very good point.  I would also think the amount of people using the tub, the amount of time they soak in the tub, and the frequency of use would be of significant concern as well.

Exactly.

hymbaw

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 11:35:54 am »
I've had customers use the ozone/N2/MPS sucessfully but usually in smaller tubs - HS Jetsetter, Sundance Metro, etc.

lawdawgva, your method is what I prefer. That dichlor in the enhanced shock helps quite a bit.

From what I've seen in the showroom, the ozone and N2 can keep the water clean on their own - until you add people!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 11:45:30 am »
Agreed.

You are not going to get a good kill rate with just N2, ozone and MPS.  You may have clear water, but there will still be bugs swimming around while you are soaking.  Now your body chemistry may be able to handle that, but someone elses may not.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 11:45:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42