What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Privacy  (Read 3661 times)

porkweez

Privacy
« on: November 16, 2005, 04:58:36 pm »
Hi everyone.  I'm new here, and beginning the research into creating a new outdoor deck/hottub area.  My first concern is shielding the view from our next door neighbors, whose deck from their upper story can look down upon the spot where our hottub will go.  I considered an 8 ft privacy fence, but not sure that's quite tall enough.   Maybe a pergola with something covering one side would work.  Thanks for any suggestions. Pictures would be helpful, too.  We're considering the Keys Backyard hottub at Home Depot, but not finding many reviews on them.

Hot Tub Forum

Privacy
« on: November 16, 2005, 04:58:36 pm »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Privacy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 05:03:57 pm »
How much higher are they than you?.  If you position your spa and cover lifter so the cover lifter sets the cover up on that neighbors side, they might not be bale to see.  That's what we did.  The people to the right are shielded by our deck.  Our cover opens toward the left.  A Covermate I will give you decent protection.  You can get an idea by looking at the pic under my name.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 05:04:25 pm by rexspent »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 05:54:56 pm »

This is from http://www.aandbaccessories.com

This might be what you need. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 06:16:35 pm »
There was a poster on here a while ago that posted a picture of their set up.  I wish I could remember who it was so I could find the photo but they had a pergola that they enclosed with decorative shower curtains that they could close when they wanted to and were tied back otherwise.  It looked nice.  Does anybody remember who that was?  I'm guessing they lived in a warm climate.   Enclosing the pergola with lattice would work also.

Bill- you need to start a new board for a PHOTO GALLERY!
It would be awesome!
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:00:04 pm »
I just built a pergola and am hoping to hang outdoor drapes from the pergola.  I might buy from the following link, or will have my local boat cover seamstress sew me up a few.  The material would be sunbrella fabric and the drapery panels would be 3' wide by 8' long.  I  would love to see the previous post re: a similar idea so I can see more examples of this...it either is not very popular or not been done before.

See this link for an example:

http://www.baldwinpergolas.com/options/drapes/drapes.html

dantheman611

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:43:24 am »
Hope this works, first time trying to post pictures. We had the same issue when we built ours, we built the pergula, put lattice on 2 sides and added a roof. Turned out better than I expected.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 07:43:53 am by dantheman611 »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 09:15:39 am »
If your neighbhors view is  pretty much directly down into your tub,  perhaps a gazebo would work? There are a ton of sytles, prices and options (Pre-built, kits, contractors, do-it-yourself plans) and accesories (Glass windows, drink bars, coutners, TV's).  

You will find a lot of opionins in this forum on HD spas, but actual owner reviews and experinces are a bit harder to come by. Buit at least, hopefully, the information in this forum can help you understand what you are buying and what to consider as you whiegh your options.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

:)
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 10:48:56 am »
My backyard is pretty private  but I don't like my neighbors (on either side) at all.  Rather than have them
get any kind of view of my tub, I am going to put up
privacy fence on the North side of the deck, instead of a rail. Lowes has the fencing with lattice at the top. I still want a pergola but I guess that will have to wait until I recover financially from all of this...... :-/ If it turns out OK, I will post pics.

Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54:05 am »
My backyard is pretty private  but I don't like my neighbors (on either side) at all.  

Hot springs makes a lovely line of barbed/razor wire fences for just such a  situation.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 11:03:43 am »

Hot springs makes a lovely line of barbed/razor wire fences for just such a  situation.  ;)

not to mention their patented "Cone of Silence" Gazebo (for the Get Smart fans out there).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 11:13:19 am »

not to mention their patented "Cone of Silence" Gazebo (for the Get Smart fans out there).

You know that thing never works!  ;D

what does t.o.u. stand for?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 11:25:55 am »
The barbed wire sounds good, do you think that comes in 220v?  My one neighbor has a dog that "marks" EVERYTHING.  He is so bold that he came up on our deck this summer and went on cases of beer that we had for a party. If he goes on the hot tub, I am afraid my husband may pull a Godfather trick and they will find the dog's head in their mail box.  The other neighbor is a knows everything - but does nothing kind of guy. Always wants to be in your business, never offers anything constructive.  I have 30 foot bamboo on his side of the yard! summer time is is very private but we cleared a lot of the woods behind us for the kids to do paintball so in the winter when the leaves are gone, it is pretty wide open. WE didn't realize how wide open until this past week when the trees became bald from the winds!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 11:27:37 am »

what does t.u.o. stand for?

There were two Spa techs (Spa Tech and Spatech) posting on these spa sites. To avoid further confusion the first guy renamed himself "Spa Tech: the real one". I had no choice but to counter with my own subscript; "Spatech: the unreal one" (aka Spatech t.u.o.).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 11:27:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42