What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Weird Chirping/Whirring/Squealing Sound  (Read 9887 times)

clayfiregrrl

Weird Chirping/Whirring/Squealing Sound
« on: November 10, 2005, 10:06:13 pm »
Ok, we have been using our new HS/Tiger River Caspian hot tub for just over two weeks now and absolutely love it!  Only problem is that tonight after we got out and I turned the thermostat back down to 102 (we usually leave it set at 102 but I turned it up to 104 tonight before we got in to see if if would get any hotter), this weird chirping/whirring/squealing sort of noise started coming from behind the main panel.  

I was alarmed, as the tub has never made this sound before and it definitely sounds like something is mechanically wrong.  I wanted to unscrew the front panel and take a look inside but my S.O. did not want to touch it and I already know from experience that the panel is hard for two people to get back on and impossible for one to get back on so did not want to pursue it myself.  

Any ideas on what the sound could be or suggestions on what we should do?  I'm afraid to get back in if something is malfunctioning...and something is definitely wrong, just don't know what or how to go about fixing it...

Thanks!!
Dorie

Hot Tub Forum

Weird Chirping/Whirring/Squealing Sound
« on: November 10, 2005, 10:06:13 pm »

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
Re: Weird Chirping/Whirring/Squealing Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 01:03:22 am »
Ok, we have been using our new HS/Tiger River Caspian hot tub for just over two weeks now and absolutely love it!  Only problem is that tonight after we got out and I turned the thermostat back down to 102 (we usually leave it set at 102 but I turned it up to 104 tonight before we got in to see if if would get any hotter), this weird chirping/whirring/squealing sort of noise started coming from behind the main panel.  

If your spa is new, contact your HotSpring/Tiger River dealer for service.

Your spa is equipped with a Silent Flo circulation pump- made by Laing Thermotech. Inside the pump is an impellor rotating on a ceramic bearing. The sound you are hearing is the impellor grinding on the inside of the pump-- this can be caused by cavitation or by a bad impellor.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 08:07:37 am »

this can be caused by cavitation.

Then the Russian tub will hear it coming.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 08:40:30 am »

Then the Russian tub will hear it coming.

That may be worse than my hokey-pokey joke.

Maybe not.

J._McD

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 08:49:33 am »
The best suggestion would be to call your dealer who would be most familiar with any quirks about your system.  Explain the situation and see what he has to say.  They may want to come out and look at it and they may know what needs to be corrected.

Give them a call, thats part of what you paid for as well, custimer service.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 10:41:31 am »
What everyone else said is right on the money, even about the Russian sub.  Never do repair work on your spa as you run the risk of voiding your warranty.  Call the dealer and tell them to fix it pronto.  You can still use the spa if you can tolerate the whining. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

clayfiregrrl

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 11:03:10 pm »
Thanks so much for the responses (and even the bad jokes )!  I will call our dealer tomorrow and see what he says.  I don't know what an impellor is or what cavitation means, but we have not even opened up the front compartment let alone tried to repair anything, so I'm sure our warranty is intact.

The strange whining sound coming from the front cabinet did stop by the next morning and has not come back yet, but I am concerned about what caused it to begin with and if any damage was done while it was making that weird sound.  Hopefully our dealer can address quickly and we will go on our happy hot tubbing way!  I don't know how we ever lived without our glorious hot tub!  

Dorie
8)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 01:24:54 am »
There is a good chance you won't hear the sound again and if you don't hear it then there was no damage done. Call your dealer anyway but they'll probably ask you to monitor it and let them know if it happens again. If it's bad it'll happen again soon enough.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 08:43:18 am »
I was getting an abnormally loud humming sound a week or so ago and when I did a refill, it magically disappeared.  It was hard to get a tech out as the pool and spa convention in Orlando was running and it turned out I didn't need the service call... yet.

keating

• Arctic Avalanche Ultra DELIVERED
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 12:04:33 pm »
possibly a divertor or jet vibrating?

in all the tubs I've been in, they tend to vibrate, making a wierd whirring sounds in some positions.

grab the knob and you can feel it vibrating...turn a little in one direction or the other and it stops.

Tends to happen more when the air/venturi valve is open.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 12:04:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42