What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Advice  (Read 4024 times)

srlollar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Chemical Advice
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:32:03 pm »
I am the proud owner of a HS Envoy purchased about 1month ago.  I started out using dichlor 1xweek and mps daily or when we bathed.  Everything was peachy.  Then on the advice of a dealer I switched to Bromine (Leisure Time Tabs).  First off it took over a week before I even got a Bromine reading.  Then, when I got a reading, it was off the charts.  I just cannot seem to keep my readings consistent.  I also use Leisure Time Renew 1x week for shock(4oz).  When I do shock, the Total chlorine and bromine read off the charts and remain that way for 4-5 days.   I add my scale, etc.  I have an ozonator and a silver ion cart.  My wife and I only bath maybe every other night.  I cannot understand why when I switched to Bromine everything went to crap.  Ph and TA are in line.  Advice please.

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Advice
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:32:03 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Chemical Advice
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 04:37:13 pm »
Advice please.

I'm not a bromine fan and if the chlorine was working for you I'm not sure why you switched but to each his own. Anyway, the main reason I'm responding is to tell A) you do not want to use the silver ion cartridge in a bromine spa so discard that, B) if you continue to use bromine and shocking sends the sanitizer level too high, you might want to reduce the number of bromine tablets you're putting in the floater.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

srlollar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 04:50:04 pm »
Currently I only have 3 tabs in the floater.  

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 01:13:34 am »
Why don't you dump the water and go back to your old method.  The manual recommends Dichlor and or MPS with the Silver Ion cartridge and ozone.  The silver ion cartridge does not work with Bromine.  Did your Hotspring dealer tell you to do this?  Good luck.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 08:23:13 am »
Your original method is about what I have been doing for over a year now with no problems.

srlollar

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 08:48:10 am »
Yes my dealer (the biggest in the houston area) told me to use Bromine with the ion cart.  This is even after I told him that I had contacted HS and they told me not to use Bromine with the cart.  He informed me that ths is what they reccomend to all their custs and have had no problems.  He then showed me all the showroom models which were using bromine with the ion cart.  Go figure?---More money on chemicals??  I am now going to drain and restart.--WHat is the best start up method?  What is necessary to add in the beginning?

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 01:36:13 pm »
I am a fan of bromine. But, it shouldn't be used with N2. Your dealer said they haven't had any problems. You wont have any problems using the two together except spending more $$$. N2 needs Dichlor or MPS to "activate" it. By using it with bromine it was just sitting there, doing nothing.

Either your dealer is trying to get extra $$ out of its customers or they're not trained very well on chems.

I'd find another dealer for your chemical needs.

good luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 02:02:59 pm »
Yes my dealer (the biggest in the houston area) told me to use Bromine with the ion cart.  This is even after I told him that I had contacted HS and they told me not to use Bromine with the cart.  He informed me that ths is what they reccomend to all their custs and have had no problems.  He then showed me all the showroom models which were using bromine with the ion cart.  Go figure?---More money on chemicals??  I am now going to drain and restart.--WHat is the best start up method?  What is necessary to add in the beginning?

I'm not sure if this is lack of understanding on his part or what but you don't use N2 with bromine. You use something called the Spa Frog. Do a google search, print it out and bring it to him and ask if he carries it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:10:57 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 02:04:17 pm »
Actually, the bromine coats the metals N2 cartridge therby making uselss. Clrifiers will have a similair effect. If you do switch back to chlorine, that cartridge in your tub is useless to you.
Homeworks Financing Representative

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 03:34:11 pm »
The Spa Frog actually works very nicely with bromine as it does with dichlor.  You can cut your bromine levels in half or more.  King Technologies seem to have found a market with bromine users where Nature 2 seems way ahead with chlorine users.

srlollar

You should get a bromine reserve with 2 oz of sodium bromide when you first start with bromine.  Then the tabs can take over.  Not sure which silver ion cart you are using, but as has been said Frog OK, N2 not.

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:33:15 pm »
Gotta say I swear by the Vermonter method.   About a Tablespoon of Cl after use, and add LT Enzyme and Defender once a week.  (This is in a 580 gal SD Max.... )  (Don't use B&C as LT recommends, since the SD micron filter is supposed to filter out the scum, etc.)  YMMV.

I also use the Taylor chem kit to be accurate, along with chem strips for intermediate testing and also TDS strips to be sure when to change water.

Also, two people, three or so times a week.

When we enter the spa, Cl level is about 0.  Love that pure water! :)

Plug:  purchase everything fom rhtubs!  !!
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 04:33:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42