What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new hot springs sovereign leak question  (Read 23791 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Re: new hot springs sovereign leak question
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 11:28:12 am »
Oh and by the way i am a PE,

That's what you get for becoming a PE.

You become a Pain in the Ess.

You should SUAGA, I will explain if asked!!

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2005, 11:28:12 am »

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2005, 12:19:47 pm »
How long did it take me to find the leak?

About half an hour of deduction, and twenty minutes of digging.

When I fix this leak and test the tub - if I find no other leaks, I'll have to say it was a cinch. I'm just hoping I don't find another leak.

I will be spending a bit of time at Lowes, looking for any possible thing that could work. If I have to replace the jet, I'll do it, but I sure hope I can avoid that.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2005, 12:36:03 pm »

When I fix this leak and test the tub - if I find no other leaks, I'll have to say it was a cinch. I'm just hoping I don't find another leak.

I will be spending a bit of time at Lowes, looking for any possible thing that could work. If I have to replace the jet, I'll do it, but I sure hope I can avoid that.

Thermal Pain Guy- "You don't want a full foam spa as it will take days to find the leak and thousands of dollars to repair...and...and...and...and it will take days to find and thousands of dollars to repair.  Thermal Pain may leak like a sieve but it can be repaired in just a few minutes every time, however many times that may be."
;D ;D ;D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2005, 12:55:13 pm »
ST,

How close is it to the jet?  Is there any way to just saw off the cracked section and splice it with a PVC union and cement?

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2005, 01:17:56 pm »
It's pretty darn close to the jet. (1/4 inch maybe)
Here's a repost of the pic. I'm pointing at the crack -

The proximity to the jet is the reason that I think the only thing that can work, in lieu of replacement, is epoxy.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2005, 01:20:34 pm »
It's pretty darn close to the jet. (1/4 inch maybe)
Here's a repost of the pic. I'm pointing at the crack -

[
The proximity to the jet is the reason that I think the only thing that can work, in lieu of replacement, is epoxy.

Do yourself a BIG favor. Whatever fix you go with, run the spa for a few days that way to make sure you REALLY have a proper seal before you refoam and button it back up.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chris_H

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2005, 01:28:34 pm »

If I am not mistaken, this was your first spa fix.  Just think if you were a technician and had some expirience...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2005, 02:19:46 pm »

If I am not mistaken, this was your first spa fix.  Just think if you were a technician and had some expirience...

Yeah, and getting paid by the hour.  Then how long do you think it would of taken?

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2005, 05:21:00 pm »
Did I say twenty minutes? I meant four hours.  ;D

Spatech, you betcha. I'm going to run that thing for a good long time - real hot too. Even though this hasn't been the worst job in the world, I don't really want to have to go in again. The biggest nuisance really has been moving the tub away from a wall that (of course) the problem side was close to -- though the rolling it on dowel rods worked like a charm.

stan1

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2005, 12:42:46 pm »
Chris wrote:Thank you for your resume.  The regulars on this forum know much more than you about SPAS specifically their structure, mechanics, and electronics.  The brand that you have purchased, in our opinion, does not have superior structure, mechanics, and electronics.                                                                                       Chris thank you for you kind comments. It seems i am out numbered and it is quite clear who is sponsoring this so called  forum.I said what i wanted to voiced my opinion about the hot tub that i own. I Will not make anymore post on this forum. Good luck to most of the nice people on this forum and God Bless you all. Stan                

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2005, 01:16:44 pm »
Stan,
I agree that HotSpring is typically a bit overpriced but just throwing an attacking comment out there got you just what you it should have. If you want to turn tail and run away with another jab about sponsorship that's fine also but we would prefer you offer your input with some justification added to it. My guess would be that you couldn't beat the price that st18901 paid for that spa if you tried (he got it used).

Your opinions are as welcome as anyone here but have some class.

st,
I don't know if you have some flex room in there but I've used a short coupler and glued it over the crack in the past. It worked great, the secret is the make sure you have everything clean and use a good primer.

I just use "Great Stuff" foam that you can get at just about any hardware store for small repairs.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2005, 01:18:21 pm »
Chris wrote:Thank you for your resume.  The regulars on this forum know much more than you about SPAS specifically their structure, mechanics, and electronics.  The brand that you have purchased, in our opinion, does not have superior structure, mechanics, and electronics.                                                                                       Chris thank you for you kind comments. It seems i am out numbered and it is quite clear who is sponsoring this so called  forum.I said what i wanted to voiced my opinion about the hot tub that i own. I Will not make anymore post on this forum. Good luck to most of the nice people on this forum and God Bless you all. Stan                

Yikes :o suddenly this crazy Eminem song is playing through my head!! (Just Kidding Stan ;))   Seriously, though, this forum has lots of great info; has helped me a LOT.  I see no hidden agenda by any single manufacturer, and when someone gets too pushy with their personal fave, they are quickly subdued!!  A little verbal sparring occurs here and there, but it is typically in good fun.  If you hang around for a bit, there is lots to learn, and differing opinions are valued here.  The key is to avoid major blanket statements like your earlier comment on this thread.  A number of people have purchased low to mid-range spas and have actually gotten supportive and helpful comments from others...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2005, 01:20:32 pm »
Stan,
I agree that HotSpring is typically a bit overpriced but just throwing an attacking comment out there got you just what you it should have. If you want to turn tail and run away with another jab about sponsorship that's fine also but we would prefer you offer your input with some justification added to it. My guess would be that you couldn't beat the price that st18901 paid for that spa if you tried (he got it used).

Your opinions are as welcome as anyone here but have some class.

Yea, what he said, thanksf or saving me the trouble.

What'ya think  Maninng vs Manning in the Superbowl?

Now, to find out how guest posting got enabled again.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 01:21:49 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2005, 01:52:37 pm »
I can get any oem part you need for the spa.

Call-1860-585-5977 Our store, 23 year hotspring dealer. or pm me.

Will prefer you accompany a serial#, found in the equipment compartment, or filter compartment. sometimes it was additional written in marker on the hinged side of the equipment door.

Serial# would be I-19454, H-21467, etc.

Do you have a motomassage?

I wouldn't suggest a patch.  Replace the jet body and some pipe.

Let me know if I can help.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

J._McD

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2005, 08:06:04 pm »
st18901, sorry nobody has been of much help until the recent posts by stuart and hottub.pool_boy but take their advice and add this, 1) cut a similar size of pvc in half on a table saw making two pieces to "saddle" the crack, 2) take a sand paper belt from a belt sander and cut it in half and cut it open into one long piece to sand the cracked pvc clean, 3) use pvc primer to soften and clean the patch area, 4) apply the two pvc pieces previously cut in half to "saddle" the crack, 5) use a stainless steele hose strap that you use the screw to tighten or compress the "saddle" repair to the cracked pipe, 6) if you have a heat gun available apply heat to the pvc "saddle" patch so it will soften and compress tightly to the cracked pipe.

Check for success in a couple of days and pick up some spray foam to refoam.  If you need some PM me and I will fill you in more.

I sell quality spas and I have been there before as many others have.  I am surprised that so many here have been in this industry as long as they have and don't know how to help you better.  They have all been down this road before, unless of course they are "just" sales people. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2005, 08:06:04 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42