What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new hot springs sovereign leak question  (Read 23792 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: new hot springs sovereign leak question
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 08:21:08 am »
Thats what you get for buying a Hot Springs Hot tub!!

Ok, your one step from being banned, would you care to explain how your success with one particular brand gives you the knowledge to bash a top brand?

If you think I'm not being fair, here is the door.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 08:21:08 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 09:19:47 am »

And I thought you said that you weren't a tech ;D  Your talents are amazing.

I just bluff my way by using big technical words.  It sounds impressive when I use tech jargon! :D

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 09:26:12 am »
Thats what you get for buying a Hot Springs Hot tub!!

Yep, that's what he gets by purchasing a quality used product that even though it's older than dirt is probably still light years ahead of the generic kit spa you overpaid for. ;D  Check back in 15 years and let us know how your spa's doing.

Terminator

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 12:40:45 pm »
This site is geared to help people.  When certain users take there privillage and abuse it by making uninformed and unjustified blanket statement it makes it more difficult to get the proper information out.  I have only been on this site a short while, but, it didn't take too long to figure out who's responses are worth reading.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 02:10:55 pm »
In taking this HS tub apart, the one thing I have been very impressed by is the construction. I was dreading/expecting (maybe from those British Sports Car days, and some house restoration I've done) that it would be a rotted mess. But no; though it shows signs of age, overall the condition of the tub and the components is quite amazing.

Also, when we moved it, we tipped it this way and that - it is very very solid.
The only part I find a bit beaten up is the equipment area panel, and that's easily remedied by either shifting the screws or cutting a new piece of plywood and attaching the redwood slats to it.

stan1

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 02:35:46 pm »
Just from my experience, your so called "top brand" is overpriced for what they are offering.If that would make you happy banding me fine, i don't think i am out of order nor have i been voguer in anyway.In todays markets 12k for a product that has a mark up higher than jewelry is insane. I shopped all the products that are mentioned in this forum and in my opinion spas direct makes a superior product. Oh and by the way i am a PE, So i know a thing or 2 about almost everything structurally ,mechanically ,electrically..And one other thing i am very very cheap with a dollar and for me to even spend 8k was a killer. Again please accept my apology if i offended anyone in this forum. Regards Stanley

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 04:32:56 pm »
Just from my experience

Well then, from my experience I would not buy a spa on-line as you have done (and i've seen MANY come to regret that type of price based decision). I guess our spa experieince and opinions differ.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chris_H

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 04:49:16 pm »
For the people that couldn’t understand what Stan wrote I have fixed the spelling errors in his previous post.  I could fix the grammatical errors also, but that takes a lot longer in Word.  

Just from my experience, your so-called "top brand" is overpriced for what they are offering.  If that would make you happy banning me fine, I don't think I am out of order nor have I been vulgar in anyway. In today’s markets 12k for a product that has a mark up higher than jewelry is insane. I shopped all the products that are mentioned in this forum and in my opinion Spas Direct makes a superior product. Oh and by the way I am a PE, so I know a thing or 2 about almost everything structurally, mechanically, electrically. And one other thing I am very very cheap with a dollar and for me to even spend 8k was a killer. Again please accept my apology if I offended anyone in this forum. Regards Stanley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 05:18:56 pm by Chris_H »

Chris_H

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 05:05:36 pm »
Chris’ response to Stan is as follows:

Stan the Man wrote: “Just from my experience, your so-called "top brand" is overpriced for what they are offering. “

What is your experience in portable spas?

Stan the Man wrote: “If that would make you happy banning me fine, I don't think I am out of order nor have I been vague in anyway.”

Bill’s call not mine.  I could care less if you were here.  There is only one person I don’t want on this forum and you are not it.

Stan the Man wrote: “In today’s markets 12k for a product that has a mark up higher than jewelry is insane.”

First of all, the average spa is not $12,000.  I would guess the average 6-person spa from Hotspring is between $7,000 and $8,000.  I do not know the mark-up on jewelry so I cannot comment.

Stan the Man wrote: “I shopped all the products that are mentioned in this forum and in my opinion Spas Direct makes a superior product.”

Your opinion is welcome.  I will tell you the majority of regulars (whom I would consider experts even if they are from Texas and California) on this forum would not consider selling the ‘Spas Direct’ brand in thier stores.  That should enlighten you about the quality of the ‘Spas Direct’ product.

Stan the Man wrote: “Oh and by the way I am a PE, so I know a thing or 2 about almost everything structurally, mechanically, electrically.”

Thank you for your resume.  The regulars on this forum know much more than you about spas specifically their structure, mechanics, and electronics.  The brand that you have purchased, in our opinion, does not have superior structure, mechanics, and electronics.

Stan the Man wrote: “And one other thing I am very very cheap”

Thanks for telling us about yourself.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 05:20:39 pm by Chris_H »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 05:09:32 pm »
I think "voguer" was meant to be "vulgar."

He did apologize and I forgive him.

Terminator

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 09:20:23 pm »
Here I go, Hijacking my thread back again.   ;D

I found the crack. There was no mistaking it. It goes almost completely around the pipe!

I think that the FF actually is the only thing that kept this crack from not seeming worse than it really was. In a way, I think that were it not for the foam, the old owner might not have gotten rid of the tub because the pipe would have had a total failure and been replaced.

So, as of now - I like FF!   :)

I'm going to try to fix the crack with a combo of pvc sealer and epoxy. Fingers crossed, that will work. If not, I'm going to have to replace the jet - which would suck.

So - question is - do you have any recommendations for expoxies, etc. that can withstand the pressure and heat of this situation?
Have any of you heard of plast-aid?  http://www.plast-aid.com/
How do you like jb wet weld?

Anything else?

Spa_Tech

• Independent Spa technician
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 01:37:08 am »
Just from my experience, your so called "top brand" is overpriced for what they are offering. And one other thing i am very very cheap with a dollar and for me to even spend 8k was a killer.  Regards Stanley

Anyone want to give any guesses on what this will look like in 15 years? Or care to estimate a power consumption comarisom? Nevermind,.. youre comparing apples and oranges.

As for the original inquiry of this post: a few answers and a couple of tips.

Is there a way to tackle the leak from inside the tub ?
Not with these wallfittings, and jet inserts. If thats where your leak is coming from.

Since I belive it's at a jet, I'm hoping I can go from the inside.
Is this possible?

No, if your leak is from the underside of the wallfitting a foam dig would be required.

How does one replace a jet?

The wallfitting may only require a new gasket- but the wallfitting is threaded and will require a special wrench used inside the shell.

Your main focus should be on narrowing down the location of your leaks origin. Ideally, your spa should be filled while raised on piers or jackstands so you can observe water transfer. Once you have isolated the origin you can mark out your foam dig location, drain the spa and work on the spa while its on its side. Use duct tape to cover the edges of the 60# foam (the hard stuff). Follow the moist foam to your leak origin. Replace foam with a binary expanding foam like Handi-foam.

Good luck.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 10:43:43 am »
st18901, just out of curiosity, how many days or weeks did it take you to find that leak in the full foam spa?  From my understanding, some folks claim it could take several years to find it and cost thousands of dollars.  Is this true?

Terminator

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2005, 10:47:09 am »

Cool!  It looks like the queen alien's nest from Alien where all the humans were catacombed.  "Newt!  Newt!  Where are you!  Leave her alone, you bitty!"

Terminator  

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 11:23:28 am »
st18901,
Rather than epoxy or something along those lines, how about a compression fitting for leaky pipes? The kind of thing I'm thinking about I've seen at Lowe's or Home Depot. It's a piece of thick rubber that wraps around the pipe and two stainless steel hose clamps on each side to clamp it tight.
I looked for a picture online but couldn't come up with anything.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2005, 11:23:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42