What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tired of the smell and the burning eyes  (Read 18715 times)

Froggy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Tired of the smell and the burning eyes
« on: November 09, 2005, 04:23:16 pm »
What do you guys use instead of Chlorine to combat the smell and burning eyes.

Aroma therapy, more like torture, the chlorine is killing me.....lol I can't seem to get away from that gaseous chlorine smell, HELP!!

Hot Tub Forum

Tired of the smell and the burning eyes
« on: November 09, 2005, 04:23:16 pm »

grahamtasia

• Life is not short!
Re: Tired of the smell and the burning eyes
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 04:28:13 pm »
I would recommend switching to a non-chlorine system, like, BaquaSpa.  Its more expensive than chlorine, but, in your situation(being chlorine sensitive) it would be well worth it.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 04:41:21 pm »
What do you guys use instead of Chlorine to combat the smell and burning eyes.

Aroma therapy, more like torture, the chlorine is killing me.....lol I can't seem to get away from that gaseous chlorine smell, HELP!!

How are you adding you santizer treatment, if done right this should not be an issue.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 04:59:45 pm »
How are you adding you santizer treatment, if done right this should not be an issue.

Lots of people switch from Chlorine to Bromine or vice versa so one option is to go that way.  However, I agree wtih Mendo.   My chlorine level is usually zero when I get in my spa.   I add a dose of chlorine when I get out and a dose of MPS about every 2 weeks.  I usually get 3-4 months out of my water.  The only risk this way is if you don't use the tub for 2-3 days it can go bad quick at 102-104 degrees F.   If I don't use my tub one night I hit it with chlorine before I leave for work in the morning.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 06:14:33 pm »
I am still at a loss to understand why anyone would not use bromine as smell, burning, itching, and the other things I read about are not issues I deal with.  I keep my levels very low with the floater set to minimum.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 06:19:06 pm »
I am still at a loss to understand why anyone would not use bromine as smell, burning, itching, and the other things I read about are not issues I deal with.  I keep my levels very low with the floater set to minimum.

We have heard people having similar issues with Bromine. In my time here I have heard people claim problems with both. Some people seem more sensitive.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Froggy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 06:50:54 pm »
I add two ounces of Chlorine granuels and two ounces of shock after every soak, our eyes burn like hell and the skin itch????, My dog looks at us now like we're the ones with fleas.....lol

I think after talking with my dealer at lunch time today, after we dump the water we're going to try Brilliance he tells me it's pretty good for people with eye and skin sensitivity issues.

Froggy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 06:54:11 pm »

Lots of people switch from Chlorine to Bromine or vice versa so one option is to go that way.  However, I agree wtih Mendo.   My chlorine level is usually zero when I get in my spa.   I add a dose of chlorine when I get out and a dose of MPS about every 2 weeks.  I usually get 3-4 months out of my water.  The only risk this way is if you don't use the tub for 2-3 days it can go bad quick at 102-104 degrees F.   If I don't use my tub one night I hit it with chlorine before I leave for work in the morning.

MPS ?????

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:56:37 pm »
2 OUNCES!!!!!! Are you that dirty that you need that much or is your tub that big? You need enough dichlor to reach a level of 3-5 PPM after your soak. For me at 400 gallons that is aproxamitly 1.5 tsp for 2 people. As was mentioned your soak the next evening should be at 0 PPM or there abouts. If your not going to use it the next night or the next couple nights just add a double dose or 1 TBLS this lasts a few days for me before the level is back down to 0 PPM.
Retired

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 07:07:49 pm »
I add 2 tsp after 1 or 2 people soak. This gives me a reading real close to zero when I enter the tub the next night.

As stated, if I skip a night I through in 1 - 1 1/2 tsp before I go to work so it good that night.

I am running ozone and silver ions too.

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 07:13:27 pm »
Froggy,

You might check your shock treatment too. The shock is what oxidizes the combined chlorines (source of the smell and burning eyes).

I am on a program to add enough chlorine after use (about 1/2 tbs) to reach 2-3ppm. Then shock once a week with 2 tbs to oxidize the combined chlorines.

Before the shock I may detect a small amount of chlorine smell but after the shock no chlorine smell.

If you follow the routine of small doses of chlorine and then a shock weekly your combined chlorines should never get so high as to be overwhelming, unless you are ultra sensitive. If you are ultra sensitive you probably should follow the recommendations to try something else.

If you use high doses of chlorine and insufficient shock treatment you may never be oxidizing all of the combined chlorine.

I tried MPS initially since I have the nature 2 cartridge but I found that the simple chlorine only routine seems to work fine. Cheaper and simplifies the chemistry.

Only drawback is waiting for the chlorine level to go down after the chlorine shock, I shock on Sunday night and wait until Tuesday before using the tub. Chlorine level is normally back under 5ppm by then.

Steve.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 07:15:24 pm »
Well said SVSPA, it's the chlorimines that create teh smell not the chlorine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bosmani

• lifes to short to drink cheap wine
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 07:23:12 pm »
Try ECO ONE product.........Minimum sanatiser required.

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 07:34:41 pm »
Cut Back on the Chlorine  :'(

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 09:10:13 pm »
I add two ounces of Chlorine granuels and two ounces of shock after every soak, .

As others have indicated, this is way too much chemicals. MPS is a type of non-chlorine shock. Look at the ingredient list of what you call shock and let us know what it says.  I use about 2tsp of chlorine in my 425 gallon tub after we get out and about 1 ounce of
"shock every other week, but you don't need to do both every soak.

Now wonder your eyes burn.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 09:10:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42