What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MicroPure Disposable Filters  (Read 5550 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
MicroPure Disposable Filters
« on: July 26, 2005, 12:25:20 am »
Any opinions on MicroPure Disposable Filters? They look like a good option.

I know they are standard on Arctic Spas and look like a good replacement for Spas that use Unicell C-4326 filters (4 15/16 x 13 5/16 with 2 1/8 top and bottom openings).

Thanks,

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

MicroPure Disposable Filters
« on: July 26, 2005, 12:25:20 am »

mika_molli

• NEW 2 TUBS
Re: MicroPure Disposable Filters
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 05:53:40 pm »
I just bought one thinking it looked like a good thing as well but I don't have my spa going yet.  Hopefully soon.

I can hardly wait!!!!! :P

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 08:53:52 pm »
It will be interesting to see how it works.  My dealer did not like them, but I still think they look like a good option.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 09:01:10 pm »
The corporate site is micropure.ca and gives a decent description.  I think the biggest advantage is no filter maintenance and the price point that makes them disposable.  Check the essential hot tub site (figure it out) and get 4 for $100.  Beyond that, there is debate as to whether the lower micron rating is truly useful for spas.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:57:16 am »
I am on my second micro pure filter.  I love it.  It is no maitenance which is a plus and no extra chemicals needed.

The only things that I use are bromine, shock, ph down one every three months and alk every week.

You can not add clarifiers and stuff like that or you will clog the filter.  The filter does a great job of removing everything.

One thing that I did notice however, was that after three months it begins to break down.  the white stuff starts to come off the filter and into the tub.  Not a big deal, one of two things to do.  Either replace at three month mark and leave in water or change water and replace new filter.

It is so great, no filter soaking or anything.  It has been so easy and my water is honestly crystal clear, no foam issues, cloudyness in over 4 months.

Just my two cents.  100 canadian for 4 filters is cheap in my opinion for ease and convienance.

mika_molli

• NEW 2 TUBS
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:38:30 am »
I thought the price was reasonable as well.  I bought mine at Hot Tub Essentials on-line for $25 CDN.  Haven't got my tub running yet but am curious to see how the filter works. :)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 12:14:54 pm »
Bosco,

Do you add a stain and scale inhibitor?  

What about using Nature 2 with it, or can you eliminate that also?

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 07:53:07 pm »
directions I got was nothing, no stain, no scale, no clarifier nothing,   dont need n2 either.  

i did some homework spoke with the service department and they confirmed, nothing at all,  just your shock, bromine, ph, alk.  Thats it.

Every thursday I fill up my pucks, check ph and alk and thats it.  once a week three tablespoons of shock and that is all.

Never touch the filter.  Almost five months now and never had any water issues.  My water has been great and since I have cut the water softner out of my routine, the water has been amazing.  The best ever

I was told that the micropure can filter smaller particles and thats why I dont need all the extras.  I have not even had issues with water lines, I have never had anything around rim.  I also use a scum ball to pick up the crap floating on top of the water.  

I hope this helps.......I have never used the other way but I could not even imagine switching.  This way is fast and easy.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 09:42:19 pm »
Bosco,

These filters sound like the way to go.  I am surprised you do not need Stain and Scale inhibitor.  I agree you will not need the N2 or clarifier.  

Can you use a water softener with the filters?  I have very hard water and the water softner makes a difference.

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 07:40:53 am »
i used a water softner for the first three months.  it had no effect.   Now that I have not used it on the new fill up, I notice that the water is alot clearer.

this could be from a variety of things however, ie hot summer and a hard to maintain alk level, new expierence with chemicals and new tub.  

I was told by my service department to use ultra spa which is an arctic product relabeled from I believe spa boss. Its a powder.  

So yes you can use it

nicker

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 10:22:26 am »
good idea !  Ya maybe.  But I do not like them for a few reasons.  One being they do break down and you will have a bunch of white crap in your tub.  Second and I think more importantly.  More crap in our land fills.  If they could  be recycled then hey why not.  Otherwise I will stick with the regular ones.  Which I actually think are still cheaper in the long run.  If taken care of they can last years.  I  use two filters in my tub and have an extra set that I rotate monthly.  I figure I should get 2 maybe 3 years so for just under $200 cdn for 4 filters I will stay with what I am doing.  

If I wend with disposable I would be $50 every three months so $200.00 for 1 year and that is also 8 filters in the land fill. NO THANKS

but thats just my 2 cents

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 12:53:13 pm »
Nicker,

You would need to factor in the cost of not having to purchase: Filter Cleaning solution, Clarifier, Stain and Scale inhibitor.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 01:18:12 pm »
good idea !  Ya maybe.  But I do not like them for a few reasons.  One being they do break down and you will have a bunch of white crap in your tub.  Second and I think more importantly.  More crap in our land fills.  If they could  be recycled then hey why not.  Otherwise I will stick with the regular ones.  Which I actually think are still cheaper in the long run.  If taken care of they can last years.  I  use two filters in my tub and have an extra set that I rotate monthly.  I figure I should get 2 maybe 3 years so for just under $200 cdn for 4 filters I will stay with what I am doing.  

If I wend with disposable I would be $50 every three months so $200.00 for 1 year and that is also 8 filters in the land fill. NO THANKS

but thats just my 2 cents

So just to clarify, you've used them and found that they break down?  Bosco's had his 4-5 months and mentioned nothing of it.  

The price is roughly half you are stating for them.  You also have to factor in filter chems and cleaning time which points to the convenience factor.  Folks here might love to clean filters.  It's a task I can do without if I don't have to.  They may not work out.  If they do, hooray for me.  

If in general they work out, look for more people and spa mfrs to switch.  You can have 2, 3 even 5 filters, but if all you do is put a new one in everytime you change water as opposed to periodic cleaning, people will gravitate to it.  Even if they are a few extra bucks overall, I'd pay it.  

This isn't an Arctic thing.  It's a filter thing, before anyone tries to pigeon hole this as Arctic.  I could have had a paper filter had I wanted it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 01:20:14 pm by rexspent »

nicker

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 03:37:26 pm »
Marks & stl-rex.  Factoring the solution to clean them is minimal.  I currently $6.00 and thats for 6 months of cleaning.   Disposible or not you should still rinse them off each week.  And you will still have your stain and scale as thats not there to clean the filters its for the other components of the tub.  It may be extra work to clean them once a month but id still rather.  I mean it takes all of 10 minutes.   I still like the idea of not have that extra junk in the garbage.   As for cost I was just using what others said $25.00.  If they are cheaper great.  Do they break down......YES I know two people that used them and they broke down.  Can I say were they abused etc.  Don't know.  But I do know they like what they use now. For those that use them thats fine.  I just think the old method is sure and true.

And sure I can see more companies going that way, more $$$$$ in their pockets.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 04:11:39 pm »
Nicker,

According to the web site you do not need a stain and scale inhibitor.  I assumed you would need to add a stain and scale inhibitor also.  From their web site:

Micron disposable filters are meant to last from 2-5 months depending on use and chemicals added. To get maximum filter life with crystal clear water you do not need to use enzymes, brighteners, clarifiers, coagulating agents, or stain & scale preventers. Your filters natural properties will attract oils and scum that go through standard filters, so you can decrease or stop the use of defoamers or other anti-foaming agents.

Also you do not rinse them off weekly, just throw them out after 3 months.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 04:38:57 pm by marks »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 04:11:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42