What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The colder the weather the .........  (Read 4972 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
The colder the weather the .........
« on: November 07, 2005, 11:37:55 am »
Hi again everyone.  I just wanted to write a short note and let everyone know how much we are enjoying our Sundance Maxxus now that the weather is cooler.   It is an awsome experience to relax in the tub at night and look at the gorgeous ND sky.  Water is at 101 and the air temp 38.  We cannot wait until the first snow and experience even cooler temps.  The only drawback, cold towels!  Therefore I want to create a towel warmer that uses a small propane bottle.  Maybe an old grill.  Anyone got any great idea's!  I read the post about using the cooler and warm towels from the dryer.  I say we pool our collective brain power and create a build your own towel warmer idea forum!  What do ya think???

Hot Tub Forum

The colder the weather the .........
« on: November 07, 2005, 11:37:55 am »

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
Re: The colder the weather the .........
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 02:10:40 pm »
Campsalot,

I had posted a similar question a couple of weeks ago and several folks sent me links to items that are sold commercially

(see:http://www.rhtubs.com/store/towel-warmer.htm)

These are way too expensive and big!  I liked the idea of the cooler/dryer combo, but I doubt that will keep the towels nice and toasty unless you use lots of hot water bottles or microwavable hot packs to keep the towels warm.

My wife had already told me to invent something smaller (about the size of a cooler) that towels could be kept warm in .  She hopes that I could invent this and allow us to retire to spend more time in the tub.

I did check into one of those coolers that has a heating capability, but not sure if that could be used outside or if it would even work.  You might want to check those out as well and let me know what you think.

http://www.igloocoolers.com/products/Thermoelectrics/Travel/2856

I also was interested in a snow melting mat since I know that the path to the tub will certainly become covered in ice even if I shovel regularly.  These mats are pretty tempting, but we could probably just wear flip flops into the tub to protect our feet.  The towel warmer is our first priority.

http://warmzone.com/snow-melting-mats.asp

I am not so sure about your propane gas grill idea, since I am sure I would somehow start my towels on fire.  If you try this, let me know how it works.

stay warm but not dry!

ph

OKC

• We love LA
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 02:24:55 pm »
I plan on putting the towels in my dryer and let them heat up for a bit.  I wonder if you put warm towels in an ice chest....would that keep them warm for an hour?  If not I may hop out pull them out of the dryer and hand them out.  Someone has to sacrafice their body......

tootsie

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 02:35:13 pm »
I plan on putting the towels in my dryer and let them heat up for a bit.  I wonder if you put warm towels in an ice chest....would that keep them warm for an hour?  If not I may hop out pull them out of the dryer and hand them out.  Someone has to sacrafice their body......

great i usually get out of tub between 12:30-1:00 am  looking forward to you bringing me my warm towel. :D

I thought the cooler idea was good also.  

also, you can make cheap heating bags by filling socks with uncooked  rice and sewing the top and throwing them in the microwave for a couple of minutes.  I think if you start out with warmth in the cooler it should keep for some time.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 02:37:18 pm »

also, you can make cheap heating bags by filling socks with uncooked  rice and sewing the top and throwing them in the microwave for a couple of minutes.  I think if you start out with warmth in the cooler it should keep for some time.

Of course your towels will now smell like dirty feet and burnt  rice...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 02:48:33 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

nicker

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 04:38:47 pm »
yes the colder weather is nice when you have a tub.  Not sure how you folks in the warm climates can enjoy your tub.  It just aint the same with out the snow!

Anway about the towels.   We keep ours inside the house on our towel warmer.   I find I am so hot from the tub then getting out and into the house in the winter is NO big deal at all!!!!  Mind you if you tub was 40 feet away from the house it may be but ours is only about 3 steps.    Our towells are always nice and warm and it also helps them dry out too and they are cheap to operate.  They say its equivilent to a 40 watt bulb.   My whole thoughts on this is I want to keep it simple and this is simple.  Our towels sit on the bar and when we go out we turn it on and when we come in our towels are warm.  Having to go downstairs and throw them in the drier and wait 5 minutes and then into a cooler etc is just too much of a hasstle.    I find the easier I keep it the more I enjoy it.

But hey what ever works for you go for it!

pruned_hands

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 06:19:23 pm »
nicker,

i wonder if you would share what you mean by a towel warmer.  Can you find a link for us so that we can see what works for you?  

thanks.
ph

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 06:35:20 pm »
I built a cool box out of cedar, 2 foot high, 2 foot deep and 3 feet long. It has a hinged lid and also makes a great place to sit and slip on your shoes. In the bottom 8 inches up is a piece of expanded metal held up by scedar furring strips. Under that I have a 110 volt rough service light bulb wired to a switch on the side I used a pies of sheet metal in the bottom and mounted the bulb (it's an old work light) throw your towels in and hit the switch. The bulb gets plenty warm to keep the towels nice and toasty even when its very cold. Also keeps the robes warm and anything else you throw in.
Retired

AZJohn15

• 2005 Sundance Caprio
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 07:51:10 pm »
What about putting a heating pad in the cooler with the warm towels?  That should keep them nice and warm.

SJK

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 10:23:05 pm »
Actually, the sock and rice idea isn't that far off.  Go to any drug store near the section where they sell back braces and you will find these bean-bag looking things that you throw in the microwave for a few minutes to apply heat to your back.  I've had one for a few years, and if the cooler doesn't keep the towels warm long enough, I might throw it in there as well and see how it works.  

nicker

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 08:31:08 am »
Pruned hands, I will try to find a link to one for you. I think we got it at Home Sense here in Canada.  Where are you from ?

pruned_hands

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 08:49:38 am »
I hail from Michigan...and we don't have the Home Sense stores around us.

I have seen some towel warming bars that you hang towels on, is your warmer that type?

thanks in advance.,

ph

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 05:08:06 pm »
This is great.  I like the cedar box idea Posted by: Tman122 Posted on: Nov 7th, 2005, 5:35pm
I built a cool box out of cedar, 2 foot high, 2 foot deep and 3 feet long.
I think thats a wonderfull idea. Yes, the gas burner was just a thought off the top of my head and probally not to wise.  I think perhaps I'll build wood box and heat it with four 300 watt bulbs.  Perhaps a wood box built around an old cooler shell.  Then wire it into my addittional outlet at my spa cuttoff and wahla......a fire!  LOL!   No seriously the lights bulbs are great ideas.  I think I will try this.  Anyone else want to give some ideas?

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 05:12:43 am »
I started off with 2 bulbs of 100 watt, turns out thats alot of heat. then I went to 2-75 watt turns out thats still pretty hot inside a sealed up box. The cedar I used is tounge and groove and it is glued so most of the seams and corners are nice and tight. Then its sprayed thick with a urathane clear sealer. Now I have 1-100 watt and a reflective shield reflecting the heat up towards the towels. Make sure to put the bottom expanded metal in last after you figure out what kind of light set up you are going to install as you will need to adjust the height based on heat output. Wouldn't want to burn up the robe.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 05:12:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42