What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Duh...think we messed up!  (Read 5540 times)

cappykat

Duh...think we messed up!
« on: November 07, 2005, 08:16:18 pm »
Let's see, we've had our spa a week and our water has been clear and clean.  That is until today.  On Friday night 4 of us used the spa.  We covered it up and checked it today to do our first weekly chemical routine.  

Oh wow....cloudy, yukky water!  I figured I might as well try to do the chemicals, so I used the test strip and the PH was between 7.8-8.4 and the alkalinity was high (180).

I cleaned the filters, put in 2 lbs. of PH down according to directions, and 3 ozs. of shock according to directions.  Now my readings are:

Hardness:  250
Bromine:  10 (within limits)
PH:  ???  very yellow not even within the color ranges
Alkalinity:  Very low

So, now what do I do?  Oh, and about 3 ozs. of clarifier.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:17:23 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

Duh...think we messed up!
« on: November 07, 2005, 08:16:18 pm »

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
Re: Duh...think we messed up!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:32:56 pm »
So, now what do I do?  Oh, and about 3 ozs. of clarifier.

Now you leave it alone and let the filter  clean it up, the only thing I would advise you to do in the future is, after a heavy bather use, add a dose of shock and run the jets for 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:34:50 pm by Guzz »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 08:39:11 pm »
wait....did I misread or was that 2lbs of ph down....I think you need to add some di chlor....outside of the ph

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 08:52:05 pm »
Get your ph and alk back to within range, shock the water and in the future, just shock it before you get that many people into the water.  You'll be fine.

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 09:05:29 pm »
Thanks, Guzz.  
2005 Marquis Epic

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 09:06:44 pm »
Mendo...no, you didn't misread--2lbs of PH Down.  That's what the instructions said for a PH reading of 8.0-8.4.  
2005 Marquis Epic

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 09:11:52 pm »
Dichlor??  I'm not using that--we are using bromine.
2005 Marquis Epic

stan1

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 09:25:52 pm »
try a product called ezspa i been using it for over 3 years with shock.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 09:29:47 pm »
I'm confused??You should shock before you get people in the spa?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 10:18:55 pm »
You pH is waaaay low.  2lbs is a lot of pH down.  What told you to put that much in out of curiousity?  Some more experienced folks should weigh in, but I think after that, I'd get that water out of there asap and refill it.  Your TDS is going to be high after that anyway.  Rather than waste a bunch of alkalinity or pH up.  Punt.

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 10:52:14 pm »
Cappycat,
Wow! 2 lbs of PH- is far too much, for a 500 gallon or less spa. Typical increments are usually 2 oz, not punds. It could take almost 2 lbs of PH+ to get it back up. I'm sure your test strip color for the PH Test is Yellow, as low as it goes. When adjusting water, add 2 oz at a time and retest, till your ph and alkalinity is in range. A 2lb container will usually last about 3 months. Start adding PH+ with small dosages and see how it goes. Let the filter do its job . If it is really bad and the levels are that low, you could dump the water and start frresh.Always check your water chemistry "prior" to shocking, as chlorine shock can raise ph levels slightly. Goodluck. Dave.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 11:04:35 pm »
Cappycat,
Wow! 2 lbs of PH- is far too much, for a 500 gallon or less spa. Typical increments are usually 2 oz, not punds. It could take almost 2 lbs of PH+ to get it back up.

Dave is right it should have been 2 oz not pounds....I would also as it was mentioned suggest draining and refilling....remember when correcting your water it is always in small dozes not in gallons or pounds ....

cappykat

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 08:05:24 am »
OMG!!!  I am an idiot!!  You shall write that on the board 50 times!!  Geez Louise, I went and got the pH down so I could type the directions...and what should I see in the bright of day???  

Dosage Required per 10,000 gal

No, it wasn't in red but somehow I totally missed that!!!  Gee, you think that might be my problem :-[ :-/

I'm going to drain the water and start over.  I'm not going to do another thing until my husband gets home.  He can take over and fix my mess...LOL!

Hey, at least I've provided humor for the day for everyone reading this! ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 08:13:41 am »
I'm going to drain the water and start over.  I'm not going to do another thing until my husband gets home.  He can take over and fix my mess...LOL!

Hey, at least I've provided humor for the day for everyone reading this! ;D

cappykat,
Think of it as an opportunity to try out some of the interesting suggestions in this new thread: popular way of draining spa ;D ;D

Phil
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 08:14:09 am by Phil_ »
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

nicker

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 08:23:25 am »
2lbs, where the heck do you get 2 lbs to begin with!  I don't keep that much on hand.

I can't really comment on your water balance as I do not use bromine.   But the one problem I had when I first got my tub was try to micro manage the chems.  Just relax and double check the instructions on the bottles and its better to add a little of what is required and then let the chems do their job for at least a couple of hours before you recheck or even till the next day.

But with adding 2 lbs I would say drain and refill your TDS will be through the roof!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 08:23:25 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42