What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wind storm  (Read 5743 times)

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
Wind storm
« on: November 06, 2005, 09:02:18 pm »
I flew from Toronto to Calgary today and when I landed spoke to my wife, she said the wind picked up very quickly in the Toronto area and knocked over all our planters and picked up an outside toybox---and the cover on the tub lifted and was kept on because of the cover lifter, it was off for a few hours before she got home.

My question-- Do you guys actually use the little plastic latches that come with the tub?  They don't look that strong and I am afraid that if I did use them I would forget them and rip either the cover or the tabs.

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Hot Tub Forum

Wind storm
« on: November 06, 2005, 09:02:18 pm »

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
Re: Wind storm
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 09:05:40 pm »
We use the front 2 in windy weather and never the 2 by the lifter.  Normally we only latch 1 corner and have not had a problem.

lawdawgva

• 06 Hot Springs Jetsetter
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 09:55:57 pm »
Ditto here....I usually use the front two.  Never use the two in back because the cover lifter holds that end down.  Sometimes I will forget to latch the front and have never had a problem, but I do have a wind break on two sides of my tub.
They're not doughnuts, they're glazed bagels.

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:10:13 pm »
I'm sure Windsurfdog has replaced his little plastic clips with heavy chains by now.   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 10:39:15 pm »
Yes, I use them just keeping the wind from getting underneath the cover is a big part of the battle. Mounting them so the cover is held down tight helps.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 11:03:08 pm »
You should use the locking straps, in the front if you have a lifter and both sides without a lifter. The tough part is training your entire family that the straps are locked. In many cases, teenage sons come out in the dark, don't notice their locked and just yank the cover up, ripping the straps right off. If you choose not to lock them, in a real storm, the cover could end up in the neighbors yard. Dave.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 10:22:22 am »
I'm sure Windsurfdog has replaced his little plastic clips with heavy chains by now.   ;D

LOL......actually, for normal thunderstorm wind possibilties (and, around here, 50 mph is a definite t-storm possibility), I use bungee cords hooked in the cover straps and under the lip at the bottom of the tub.  For hurricanes, 2--2" webbed straps with ratchets using some hand towels under the straps at the edges of the cover.  These are hooked into 1" 2-hole conduit straps that I've attached to the deck.  So far, so good.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 10:27:35 am »
I don't clip my cover down.  LIke you, I would forgot about them and open the cover without them, and end up breaking something.

However, my tub is not in an area that is accesable by small children, and I do not have small children.

If you have kids or your tub could be accessed by children, I'd recommed you get in the habit of  clipping down the lid. The risk isn't worth it.

I did use the clips the other day, last week. We had high winds and half the cover flipped open. LEaves and rain got in and  the heater was going full bore.  

07 Caldera Geneva

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 10:30:16 am »
Here in Florida, we are no stragers to wind and i latch the clips as well as put some patio bricks on some plasic sheeting to avoid scratching the cover if strong winds are predicted.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 10:36:20 am »
I would suggest windstraps to hold your cover on in the wind. I know a very popular website you can buy them from, it starts with the letter rhtubs.com
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:37:35 am by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 10:38:40 am »
And I bet there is only a token fee for such an accessory right?  I bet I am getting riped off with the $3 I spent on the patio blocks.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 10:39:51 am »
in a real storm, the cover could end up in the neighbors yard. Dave.

My friend with the Master LSX lives in a large block, about 1/2 mile around and everyone's back yard faces each other. One a gusty night we saw 3 covers go by, which prompted him to recheck his.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 10:42:03 am »
And I bet there is only a token fee for such an accessory right? šI bet I am getting riped off with the $3 I spent on the patio blocks.

No not at all patio blocks are fine, they may not be a sure thing in all conditions but if they work for you I was simply making a suggestion and that website is not my own I was merely saying where you can find such an item. I in no way meant to demean your creative suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 10:42:46 am by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

Ritz

• Vanguard 2004
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 12:06:13 pm »
We've used the 2 front latches from day 1.  Only time I left them off was when I was planning to go back out in th evening - but bad weather rolled in and I forgot to go latch it.  The cover was ripped off with part of the lifter....  now we always buckle every time out....

SJK

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:49 pm »
We live in a pretty windy area and have latched (but not locked) the straps from day one.  After a few days it  becomes habit and I doubt you'll rip the straps off after that.  The big test comes when the snow starts flying and its 20 below....we'll find out how long it takes to latch and get your ice-covered keester back in the house.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2005, 10:47:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42