What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Shopping  (Read 13362 times)

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Hot Tub Shopping
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 12:22:29 am »
a few makers do add the extra pump but  do so at the expense of running the heater while having all 3 THERAPY pumps running. What this means is that if you want every jet to run you than have 2 choices take away jets or make them smaller to cerate more pressure .......

So what exactly is the downside to running three pumps again?  If you can run three main therapy pumps and give good therapy to every seat, what's not to like about that?  

You suggest that you can't use two pumps and provide adequate therapy with all diverters at neutral.  The Marquis solution is to eliminate that option and provide concentrated therapy at the expense of running all the jets - yes?  So if you add another pump you can get the best of both worlds?  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 12:22:29 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 09:54:07 am »
Boy, picking the right tub is stressful (and a lot of $$$).
 I just want to be happy with the purchase and destress!!!

Thanks

Skylark, have fun! ;D  Try and look at it like you have a pot of gold in your pocket and people are going to bend over backwards to please you, to make you comfortable, to make your shopping experience as enjoyable as possible.  Take your bathing suit and sit in as many spas as you like.  Ask any question you want.  Never feel pressure.  If anyone out there is less than accomodating to you and your pot of gold, move on to the next person.  Treat it like an adventure and the journey can be half the fun! ;D  Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

luigi311

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 10:19:04 am »
Don't sign anything or give a deposit to anyone.  I had a bad experience where a company's definition of "hold a tub for you" meant that they would not give your deposit money back to you.
DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY UNTIL YOU ARE DONE NEGOTIATING!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 01:42:17 pm »
stl-rex and terminator offer wonderful advice.....enjoy your shopping as much as you can.....the end of the rainbow will be right in your back yard soon..... 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 03:43:17 pm »

So what exactly is the downside to running three pumps again?  If you can run three main therapy pumps and give good therapy to every seat, what's not to like about that?  

You suggest that you can't use two pumps and provide adequate therapy with all diverters at neutral.  The Marquis solution is to eliminate that option and provide concentrated therapy at the expense of running all the jets - yes?  So if you add another pump you can get the best of both worlds?  

To run 3 pumps at once you heater in effect becomes like a spa that runs off 110 it will not run at the same time as all three pumps and that is the point that all makes are limited to what 50 or 60 amps of electric can supply, It is the same reason when you hear some makers touting 5 or 6 horse power pumps it is a blatant lie the simple fact that is not open to debate or preference is that 50 or again 60 amps of electrical will not power pumps and a heater of that size they need more juice to run them. This than just leaves with 2 choices make the jets smaller to create power if you want a large jet count like those who claim 70,80 or more jets when you look at what is being touted as a jet you will see it is not going to do nothing more than tickle you, or you run fewer jets, if you look at the makers who are most commonly respected you will find them to have very comparable amounts of jets in their spas and that with the Marquis it will be slightly higher jet count because of the tri zone. But as has been mentioned above....wet test and find the spa that fits you best. I would say forget the specs for the most part that have to do with jet count and HP numbers and instead sit in the spa and see what feels best to you......

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 04:48:16 pm »
Take Mendocino's post, delete all sentences EXCEPT the last two, and you have some EXCELLENT advice.  Forget all the other marketing garbage and let your wet test be your guide.  8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

stan1

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2005, 05:15:02 pm »
i am new to this forum but have owned a hot tub now for over 3 years i shopped all major brands that were in my area, hot springs ,caldera, beachcomber, most were over 12k.iwanted a tub  for  6 person that included a lounge am/FM CD stereo 60 or so jets and real wood not plastic.. i found a brand on line called spas direct called there toll free number  spoke to there rep a fellow named john, he assured me that his product is second to none and that they were a direct manufacturer I was a little worried about making such a large purchase on line but he gave me a number of references to call and every one said the same thing  a awesome tub.Well i deiced to purchase  a 6 person with lounge and stereo it arrived i had 2 of my buddies with me to move it one guy is a builder of  fine homes the other is a landscaper, all 3 of us couldn't believe what a beautifully hot tub it was. any way to make a long story short i have had this tub for over 3 years with no problems at all!! just great soaking time!! before any of you guys by a tub check these guys out!!  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 05:25:32 pm »
Stan,
It's good to hear a positive story about buying on-line as I hear I often hear the other story. It's still an unwise choice in my opinion and a few postive experieinces here and there are too few and too far between to convince me otherwise but I'm glad it worked out for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 05:30:37 pm »
To run 3 pumps at once you heater in effect becomes like a spa that runs off 110 it will not run at the same time as all three pumps.

I'm still waiting for the negative to this.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 05:31:20 pm by rexspent »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 05:38:23 pm »

I'm still waiting for the negative to this.

You can't have the heater on when all 3 pumps are on so the controller automatically disables the heater until one of the pumps is turned off. How much of a negative that is depends on where you live, how long you soak, what is the outside temp, how many people are in it (you don't always run all 3 pumps at once), etc. If you live in Vegas I'd imagine it's hardly ever an issue. If you live in Chicago it may be an issue at certain times.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 05:52:57 pm »
Take Mendocino's post, delete all sentences EXCEPT the last two, and you have some EXCELLENT advice.  Forget all the other marketing garbage and let your wet test be your guide.  8)

What kind of a rude dog are you.....If am stating something that is untrue please point it out. You cannot run 3 pumps and a heater all at the same time, If this is untrue please enlighten us all with your break though in electrical law ....If you want to believe that it is OK to lie about HP power , than you are the right guy for the makers who tout this lie as it is total BS .....if it does not matter to you fine but that does not change that  it is in fact  BS, why would you take offense to it. Again what did I say that is untrue.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 07:39:35 pm by Mendocino101 »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 08:52:23 pm »

You can't have the heater on when all 3 pumps are on so the controller automatically disables the heater until one of the pumps is turned off. How much of a negative that is depends on where you live, how long you soak, what is the outside temp, how many people are in it (you don't always run all 3 pumps at once), etc. If you live in Vegas I'd imagine it's hardly ever an issue. If you live in Chicago it may be an issue at certain times.

Well, I can think of one brand that seems to be able to run three pumps without having the heater run and not have issues in the cold.  That alleviates the requirement to make do with two pumps as Mendo suggests is necessary.  It also gives very good power to all jets even with the diverters neutral.  I won't say the name for fear of banishment to the dead horse forum.

P.S.  This is all part of some good natured ribbing I've exchanged with Mendo in the past.  Personally, I like him, maybe because he reminds me of Homer Simpson ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 08:54:25 pm by rexspent »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 10:50:06 pm »

Well, I can think of one brand that seems to be able to run three pumps without having the heater run and not have issues in the cold.  That alleviates the requirement to make do with two pumps as Mendo suggests is necessary.  

It will maintain the heat pretty well (same as the other spas with 3 pumps) but it will lose definitely loose heat with the cover off. How much of an issue varies as I'd mentioned earlier. It's like stirring a cup of coffee; are you doing it indoors or outside,summer or winter, 15 seconds or 15 minutes, etc.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 10:58:36 pm »

It will maintain the heat pretty well (same as the other spas with 3 pumps) but it will lose definitely loose heat with the cover off. How much of an issue varies as I'd mentioned earlier. It's like stirring a cup of coffee; are you doing it indoors or outside,summer or winter, 15 seconds or 15 minutes, etc.

I'll let you know.  It could be argued the other three pump tubs are of a different design and don't make as efficient of use of the pump heat.  I won't get the sub zero temps of the folks up north, but if it holds or gains after 40 minutes to an hour in the teens I'd say it's doing OK.  We've only hit the 30's and it's still gaining temp during operation without the heater running.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 11:26:46 pm »

I'll let you know.  It could be argued the other three pump tubs are of a different design and don't make as efficient of use of the pump heat.  I won't get the sub zero temps of the folks up north, but if it holds or gains after 40 minutes to an hour in the teens I'd say it's doing OK.  We've only hit the 30's and it's still gaining temp during operation without the heater running.

Sure, some pumps may put out more heat than others and some spas will hold heat in on the sides more than others but with the cover open I doubt there'll be much of any difference in heat loss between spas that have their heaters off. Not anything to throw the gloves off over.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 11:26:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42