What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Feedback on Used 03 J-385  (Read 8777 times)

Brookenstein

Feedback on Used 03 J-385
« on: November 03, 2005, 11:17:37 pm »
That pretty much sums it up.  Fully loaded.  Asking price new was $12k, paid $10k.  What is a good used price?  Anything to watch out for on this year?  I finally found one with water.   :)  They are including a gazebo, (haven't seen pics yet, will get in the morning) how much does that infuence price?  They are moving and not selling it with the house.  

Any idea how much this costs to operate with it being a fairly large spa?  Since it doesn't have a warranty is it expensive to repair?  The Sundance dealer scared me away from the 02 Maxxus because of repair costs.  He said the 03's and newer were cheaper to repair.  Dont know if this has any revelance to the 03 Jacuzzi or not.

Hot Tub Forum

Feedback on Used 03 J-385
« on: November 03, 2005, 11:17:37 pm »

chaunceyboyblu

• im daddy
Re: Feedback on Used 03 J-385
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 12:52:24 am »
I just bought that same spa a couple weeks ago. the one I got was only a year old and didnt have the stereo. I paid 3500 delivered and set up. I bought it from a dealer of another brand, he had this as his personal spa at his house. im in NW Montana, so the market on used high line spas is probably low. I wasnt scared off by not having the warrantee. a lot would have to go wrong to cost the difference from what I paid and a new one. we have used it several times a day for several weeks now and no problems. the circulation pump that runs most/all the time is the same consumption as a 75 watt light bulb per the manual. electricity should be pretty low. r

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 01:09:51 am »
They are moving and not selling it with the house.  

Also ask if it comes with the breaker box. Not a major deal but it'll save you from having to buy one.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:24:31 am »

Also ask if it comes with the breaker box. Not a major deal but it'll save you from having to buy one.

Hmmmm good point.

I doubt the home owner would allow the breaker box to be taken off the house. Unless it was proffesionaly done and  "buttoned up" (if the house has already been sold it may not even be an option)

But there is absolutely  no harm in asking. And if the wiring wasn't buried, I'd asked about the whip as well. A box, the breakers and the whip is worth a few bucks.   ;) And if they haven't offered, all the chemis and other doo-dads they might have left over.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 09:28:14 am »
I just bought that same spa a couple weeks ago. the one I got was only a year old and didnt have the stereo. I paid 3500 delivered and set up. I bought it from a dealer of another brand, he had this as his personal spa at his house. im in NW Montana, so the market on used high line spas is probably low. I wasnt scared off by not having the warrantee. a lot would have to go wrong to cost the difference from what I paid and a new one. we have used it several times a day for several weeks now and no problems. the circulation pump that runs most/all the time is the same consumption as a 75 watt light bulb per the manual. electricity should be pretty low. r

Chauncy what town do ya live in? I grew up in gibbonsville Idaho and attended college at the University of Montana, I really miss the early morning flyfishing on the bitterroot river!

Oh yea and to keep on the subject of spas, if its the right breaker atleast have them throw that in!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:29:31 am by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

Chris_H

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 10:34:48 am »
“That pretty much sums it up.  Fully loaded.  Asking price new was $12k, paid $10k.”
I would highly doubt he paid $10k for a 2003 J385 with a stereo and all the normal accessories.  I would guess at most he paid $9,500, but I think it is much closer to the $8,000 – $9,000 price range.

“What is a good used price?”
For tub only, I would not pay any more than half of his real purchase price.  I think $4,000 - $4,500 would be fair, but I would try to get it much cheaper.  

“Anything to watch out for on this year?”
Nothing I am aware of at this time.

“I finally found one with water.”
That is a good thing.

“They are including a gazebo, (haven't seen pics yet, will get in the morning) how much does that influence price?”
Depends on the gazebo.  Some gazebos are $1,000 some are $10,000.

“Any idea how much this costs to operate with it being a fairly large spa?”  
About 20 – 30 bucks a month.

“Since it doesn't have a warranty is it expensive to repair?  The Sundance dealer scared me away from the 02 Maxxus because of repair costs.  He said the 03's and newer were cheaper to repair.  Don’t know if this has any relevance to the 03 Jacuzzi or not.”
Anything out of warranty is going to be expensive.  You will be paying full retail on any replacement parts and at least $75 dollars an hour in labor.  That is the case for a 2002 Sundance or a 2003 Jacuzzi.  

chaunceyboyblu

• im daddy
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 11:10:49 am »
spaman, hey we live up in the NW corner Whitefish, it is right by Glacier natl. park.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 11:16:58 am »
AAAAAAH! I know it well use to go there every summer as a kid. I also did alot of fishing the Flathead! Big Mountain is also great fun in the winer time. If you take HWY 93 south into Idaho I grew up 1 mile from the continental divide trail there. Maybe oneday I will be able to retire up there.
-SpaMan~

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 11:31:15 am »
My in-laws live in Kalispell. Wonderful winters, too bad they last 10 months. GREAT country out there.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 12:59:35 pm »
brook,

looks like you are getting close. are you going to be able to test this puppy out?
i know its a fairly new set up, but i would ask if they treated the gazebo with anything. i have seen skirts/gazebos fall apart from dry rot. granted, they were older, but still something to keep in mind.

socal
Marquis dealer

Brookenstein

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 09:19:19 pm »
I just got the pics and more info.  It is an 04 not an 03.  Looks very nice, but he has a slight foam issue, lol.   :)  The gazebo is wrought iron with the canvas top, so I don't see that adding a lot to the value.  I could be wrong, but I don't think they cost more than a few hundred new at Target.  My bid for delivery was $500.  I just have to figure out how to fit it in the yard as our front gate opening is 38.5".  The wood gate on the other side wouldn't be to hard to remove, but there is a second gate that is metal in concrete (almost like a curb), that would be more difficult.  I don't want to pay for a crane.  I'm trying to get everything wiring, pad, tub, delivery for $5k.  Not sure it can happen, but that is my goal.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:20:23 pm by Brookenstein »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 10:54:23 pm »
'04, sounds like a pretty good deal Brookster.

I'm not a big gazebo guy but those "gazebos" are pretty cheap and are effective enough. It doesn't add much but take it with you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 11:00:01 pm by Spatech_tuo »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 10:56:12 pm »
A good price on a new '04 385 would have been around $8K.  In most cases, you can get a used spa for 50% of the new price so if I were you I would offer him $4K.  He will say he paid 9,500 for it but that doesn't matter. It's got no warranty and it is used. Tell him your top number would be $5K. that would still be a deal.  As far as moving them... You should be comfortable tilting a Jacuzzi brand on their side, they are super strong and on-side is realy no issue for a short trip through your gate. Let us know how it goes.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Brookenstein

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 12:10:16 am »
My husband thinks maybe we can remove the top of the bricks.  Guess we will look at it in the morning.  If we can and we can remove the gate, that would give us 41" so we would have 3" of clearance.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:00:17 am »
When I asked our dealer for advice on price when were selling our old tub, he said to figure about 1000.00 per year depreciation.  We bought 7/04 for 7400.00 and sold 9/05 for 6200.00.  

Ruby
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 02:00:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42