What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I Would Like Ya'lls Input (Consumers and Dealers)  (Read 13583 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: I Would Like Ya'lls Input (Consumers and Deale
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 01:03:30 am »
It's only one spa and one customer that you didn't get....The sun will still rise and set tomorrow.

You did fine

The truth is that people who care more about price than customer service probably aren't a good fit for your company and your much better letting them go.

I know that's hard to swallow but you have to learn to pick and choose your customers for your sake and thiers. ;) 8)

The reality is that he will probably never buy a spa and will always talk about how he could have.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 01:03:30 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 08:00:14 am »
Actually, I didn't become the Brewman until well after I left that establishment.  
Had I been homebrewing back then, it would have been to the detriment of the store.  I bought a lot of beer from them when I worked there, which I woulnd't have bought had I been homebrewing.  
:)
Brewman

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 08:53:33 am »
My Sister inlaw works in Retail Marketing and companies come to her for things like product placement, travel path through the store to guide customers in a certian direction, point of sales displays etc.  They also come to her to send people out into the market to do surveys not just for the the products they sell but for retail customer service in general and they are given specific scenarios to act out in a store and monitor reaction, temperment etc.  

Sounds like you were bitten by a Marketing firm or a drunk Floridian.  Either way you handled it well in the written word, how was your body language and pitch of your voice etc.

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Chris_H

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 09:06:17 am »
Terminator,
I think the best way to handle yourself in these types of situations is to tell them about your company’s lowest price guarantee on the same exact spa.  All you need to do is get a quote in writing with the exact services and options the consumer will be receiving on the spa purchased elsewhere.  
Chris

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 09:25:00 am »
I knew how that sounded when I typed it, but I liked it anyway and used it  ;)

A whole half?  I always hated fractions!  ;D ;D ;D

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

salesdvl

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2005, 09:31:18 am »
I know. I just had to poke fun.  ;)  
Measure once, cut twice.

cappykat

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2005, 09:48:20 am »
OMG!!!  I just read this thread and Terminator you handled yourself just fine. Like others have said, I'm not sure I'd have done as well.  

I live in Florida and like you said, "IF" he was able to get that spa for $6K then he should definitely buy it.  I don't believe he can or could, and of course, he probably wasn't comparing apples to apples. Anyway, that's beside the point--he was simply being an A##!!

I think Stuart made some excellent comments:

It's only one spa and one customer that you didn't get....The sun will still rise and set tomorrow.

The reality is that he will probably never buy a spa and will always talk about how he could have

Don't let some idiot like that get under your skin.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2005, 09:48:54 am by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2005, 11:01:57 am »
east tx, you wrote...
"J**** C*****!  We had a HotSpring in Florida and it only cost us $4,000."

I would have tried to go a differant route at this point, and asked some open ended questions to calm his agression ie: $4,000, really how long ago did you buy that? what spa was it? how long did you have it? why are looking to buy another? ect. it may have helped, it may not but I would'nt let it beat me up.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 11:32:21 am »
I really do appreciate everyone's input.  This forum really helps me immensely in my professional endeavors.  I have gained tremendous knowledge and insight from consumers and dealers and I try to use it to help make the shopping experience better for the customers.  Thanks again.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 11:46:33 am »

I don't know how many times over the years shoppers have tried to BS me.  Terminator

I don't doubt that, but you have to use some intellegence in doing so. I'm not going to church and tell the Priest that the Pope told me something different.  I may try to BS you that the Sundance dealer is offering a similar spa somewhat cheaper, but I'm not going to try to tell you another HS dealer is going to give me a price that is probably impossible.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2005, 11:52:45 am »
Since you asked.

I don't think you handled the situation "wrong".  The guy sounds like a jerk.

However, I like Guzz's approach better.  Engage the guy, rather than shut him down.    
07 Caldera Geneva

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2005, 11:53:39 am »

You did fine

The truth is that people who care more about price than customer service probably aren't a good fit for your company and your much better letting them go.

I know that's hard to swallow but you have to learn to pick and choose your customers for your sake and thiers. ;) 8)

The reality is that he will probably never buy a spa and will always talk about how he could have.

Having said that....

I would have had to resist the urge to ask him "How much would it cost in FL to pay someone to not show up at your door with a Baseball bat to train your poodle?" ;D

Texas_Tubs

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2005, 12:12:06 pm »
We have had similar situations happen at our store.  Some people are just unreasonable and there really isn't anything you can do or say to make them happy!!  

You handled it perfectly though!  You were polite and to the point.  I know you probably felt like punching him right in his face but unfortunately we, as sales professionals, can't do that.   >:(

Don't let it bring you down, your next customer will probably be a joy to work with!!

Brookenstein

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2005, 12:54:46 pm »
Before coming to this forum, I didn't realize that there could be such a price difference in parts of the country.  It makes sense to me now.  But, I could see how an uninformed consumer could go into a store and say I paid x for this here and not realize the difference... especially if one state say had sales tax the other didn't.  If one included all the extras of delivery and cover lifter and whatnot... plus just the regional differences.  Obviously one wouldn't have to be a jack booty about it, but I could see someone thinking they were comparing apples to apples when really they were comparing plastic apples to apples.

My parents kept telling me they paid $3500 for their spa, little did I know that didn't include the cover lifter, delivery, start up chemicals, sales tax (they live in OR)... no wonder I couldn't find a comprable spa for the same price.  If I added those things (to their price) I would be close to the ball park...

Anyway, the guy was a jerk so I think you handled it fine.  If someone is just naiive, you might want to put kid gloves on.   ;)

As for the sex offender thing... good for you for checking the registry.  Not very many people I know do it.  I check about every 6 weeks or so.  I checked before we bought this house and even before I chose what preschool to send my son to as it was at a park.  One park had 6 offenders with 3 blocks... we choose another school.  We don't have any living real close, but there are 3 I think within 3 miles.  I show my son the pics of the people and tell him if he ever sees the people not to talk to them and to go get an adult he knows immediately.  I think that is a tough call on choosing not to do business with them... I'm non confrontational, so it would be hard for me to say I won't sell you a spa cause you molested your kids.  I think I would have to just try and raise my prices so they wouldn't want to buy from me.   :-/

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 01:30:48 pm »
Terminator,

First things first, you could not have handled what was a very difficult situation any better than you did.  You should understand that this "customer" might not really buy a spa from you or anyone else.  He might be what we call a game player with nothing better to do and all day to do it.  

There are 4, and only 4 reasons why people do not buy:
1. No time
2. No money
3. No confidence
4. No need

Of course these four basic objections can be expressed a lot of different ways, but all resistance to action can be fit into one of these four categories.  So, which of these do you think is the reason that guy did not buy from you?  He had time to come into your store.  He might have a money problem, why else is his stuff in another state?  He never gave you a chance to instill confidence in you or your store.  Needs were not discussed, so there was no sales process.  

My conclusion from your description of what happened is that the guy was not a serious prospect because he never gave you a chance to enter into a sales dialog.  Forget about it and move on.

Regards,

Bill  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2005, 01:30:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42