What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I Would Like Ya'lls Input (Consumers and Dealers)  (Read 13582 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
I Would Like Ya'lls Input (Consumers and Dealers)
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:41:54 pm »
I had a frustrating situation at the store the other day.

A man and his wife walked into my store while I was visiting with one of my customers who had a chemical question.  I greeted them and told them "I'll be with you in a minute.  Make yourselves at home and feel free to look around."  They ignored me and went out onto my deck.

I spent about 45 seconds more with my customer and we said our goodbyes.  I walked out onto my deck and the man is looking at an Accolade.  "How much is this?"

I say "Around $8,000."

"J**** C*****!  We had a HotSpring in Florida and it only cost us $4,000."

Terminator: "Well, we have 20 different models to choose from.  Maybe one of those will be more in your price range.  Let's go look inside."

Floridian: "How much are you getting for the Sovereign?"

Terminator: "$7695"

Floridian: "G** Almighty!  They're $6,000 in Florida."

Terminator: "Sounds like a good deal.  You should buy one."

Floridian: "You bet I will.  Our furniture's in storage in Florida.  When we go get it, I'm going to buy a spa there and bring it back."

Terminator: "Well, I hope the dealer you buy it from will service it as well."

Floridian: "You mean you won't service it?"

Terminator: "We have the right to refuse service to anyone.  You have the right to buy a spa wherever you want.  We charge what we feel is a fair price for this market and it allows us to stay in business."

Floridian: "Well, we'll see about that."

Terminator: "Good luck.  It was nice meeting you."

Now, I have mixed emotions about this whole situation.  The man acted like a jerk to me the whole time and I'm pretty easy going, but I let him get under my skin.  I'm sure I could've handled the situation better than I did.

Yeah, we'll service his spa if it ever comes to that, but it is really aggravating when someone acts like this.  I think he was lying to me about the price (or was confused) and was hoping I would try to match it.  No way!

Anyway, I value the insight of the majority of the folks on here.  How would ya'll have handled it?

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

I Would Like Ya'lls Input (Consumers and Dealers)
« on: October 04, 2005, 05:41:54 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: I Would Like Ya'lls Input (Consumers and Deale
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 05:49:45 pm »
Now, I have mixed emotions about this whole situation.  The man acted like a jerk to me the whole time and I'm pretty easy going, but I let him get under my skin.  I'm sure I could've handled the situation better than I did.

I'm not sure why you'd have mixed emotions? Based on your replay of the situation your responses seemed appropriate. If someone decides to act like a jerk there's no reason to take it personally (unless they get personal). It's merely a reflection on them, not you. Answer their questions in a calm, matter of fact manner, let them vent if they so choose, wish them a good day and wait for the next customer.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 06:11:30 pm »
There's no way this gu is getting these spas at the prices he quoted you. That dealer is a whole 1/2 a country further from the manufacturer than you are. Unless the dealers whoring out the product, which I doubt. You can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but (no matter how hard you try) you'll never please all of the people all of the time.

I had a frustrating situation at the store the other day.

A man and his wife walked into my store while I was visiting with one of my customers who had a chemical question.  I greeted them and told them "I'll be with you in a minute.  Make yourselves at home and feel free to look around."  They ignored me and went out onto my deck.

I spent about 45 seconds more with my customer and we said our goodbyes.  I walked out onto my deck and the man is looking at an Accolade.  "How much is this?"

I say "Around $8,000."

"J**** C*****!  We had a HotSpring in Florida and it only cost us $4,000."

Terminator: "Well, we have 20 different models to choose from.  Maybe one of those will be more in your price range.  Let's go look inside."

Floridian: "How much are you getting for the Sovereign?"

Terminator: "$7695"

Floridian: "G** Almighty!  They're $6,000 in Florida."

Terminator: "Sounds like a good deal.  You should buy one."

Floridian: "You bet I will.  Our furniture's in storage in Florida.  When we go get it, I'm going to buy a spa there and bring it back."

Terminator: "Well, I hope the dealer you buy it from will service it as well."

Floridian: "You mean you won't service it?"

Terminator: "We have the right to refuse service to anyone.  You have the right to buy a spa wherever you want.  We charge what we feel is a fair price for this market and it allows us to stay in business."

Floridian: "Well, we'll see about that."

Terminator: "Good luck.  It was nice meeting you."

Yeah, we'll service his spa if it ever comes to that, but it is really aggravating when someone acts like this.  I think he was lying to me about the price (or was confused) and was hoping I would try to match it.  No way!

Anyway, I value the insight of the majority of the folks on here.  How would ya'll have handled it?

Terminator

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 06:28:08 pm »
There's no way this gu is getting these spas at the prices he quoted you. That dealer is a whole 1/2 a country further from the manufacturer than you are. Unless the dealers whoring out the product, which I doubt. You can please some of the people all of the time, and you can please all of the people some of the time, but (no matter how hard you try) you'll never please all of the people all of the time.

Yeah, you're right.  I think the guy just came in looking for a pigeon and he thought maybe he could get me to negotiate.

I'll say this, people can talk all they want to about salesmen, but the majority of customers play games with the best of them.  I don't know how many times over the years shoppers have tried to BS me.  100 times more than I do them.  They've got nothing to lose by doing so whereas I have to stay above the fray to protect my reputation in the industry.  Oh, well, it's all fun and games anyway!  ;D

Terminator

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 06:39:44 pm »
As a consumer, I think you handled it fairly. He was being an idiot. I would not let it bother you. He will probably be back to see you after he finds out the charges to ship a tub from Florida.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 07:20:15 pm »
It would be nice to get every sale. Make every shopper happy and fulfill every expectation.

You handled yourself professionally. Yes, most businesses need to make money. Your price is not out of line(very close to ours in ct). Yes, it would bother me as well.

He had some other event in his life that day which angered him. You were just his ventilation.

The shopper who buys the Vista loaded with spaudio tomorrow from you will help you forget about it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

drprwnap

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 07:22:44 pm »
Wow, I don't envy you Terminator.  I'm not sure you could have handled the situation any better.  I KNOW you did better than I would have!!!  I bet that if you would have sold him a spa at the price he wanted, he would still be rude and impolite.
Ask yourself this question:  Would I want this man as a customer?  Now I realize you need all the business you can get, but isn't some just not worth it???  I guess I would be a poor salesman  :o

drprwnap  8)

ps. Did you try showing him a picture of Tammy??? Maybe that would have helped! ;)
Lovin' Spatopia in my Epic!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 07:32:14 pm »
ps. Did you try showing him a picture of Tammy??? Maybe that would have helped! ;)

I doubt it would have helped. He would have wanted Terminator to toss her into the deal at no extra charge.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 07:39:59 pm »
That dealer is a whole 1/2 a country further from the manufacturer than you are.

A whole half?  I always hated fractions!  ;D ;D ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 07:54:09 pm »
Wow, I don't envy you Terminator.  I'm not sure you could have handled the situation any better.  I KNOW you did better than I would have!!!  I bet that if you would have sold him a spa at the price he wanted, he would still be rude and impolite.
Ask yourself this question:  Would I want this man as a customer?  Now I realize you need all the business you can get, but isn't some just not worth it???  I guess I would be a poor salesman  :o

drprwnap  8)

I met Tammy for the first time on Sunday.  I'll tell that story tomorrow if anyone's interested. ::)

You're exactly right about some people are just not who we want for customers.  I've told a few over the years that said to me "$6000?  I can buy that same spa down the road for $1500!" to go right on down the road and get it.

Here's another dilemna.  I had a very nice man and his wife in the store a few weeks back.  I really liked the guy.  He told me they were relocating here looking for a new start.  I filled him out a quote sheet and got his name and address.

Well, about once a month, I check the State of Texas Sex Offender list to make sure there are no perverts in my neighborhood.  Lo and behold, there is the customer that had been in my store the week before.  Turns out he had been convicted of molesting his son and daughter (9 and 10 years old).  His picture was on the Offender website and his address was the same as the quote sheet.  I felt sick to my stomach.

Knowing what I know, if he came into your store, would you sell him a spa?  I won't.

Terminator

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 08:16:10 pm »
Reminds me of a time I was selling a used car. Older guy came and looked at it, asked how much, I told him $2000.00, he came back with $1500. We haggled a little and finally agreed on $1700.00. He was a little crotchety, but not that bad, just kind of a grumpy old man thing, and as the entire transaction only took about 15 minutes, it wasn't to bad. He said he'd think about it over night, I didn't even bother asking for a deposit thinking I'd never hear from him again. He calls me the next day in a state of rage. Telling me I should be ashamed for selling such a piece of junk. OK, so an '88 Oldsmobile Delta 98, may not be a classic, but it was in pretty good shape and only had about 50,000 miles on it.  His actual words were actually quite a bit more offensive then that, even to an ex Marine. I let him rant on and on for about 5 minutes, and them reminded him he needed to take his medication. Then he hung up. I was actually kind of pissed about it for awhile thinking I had done some thing wrong.

Always remember 99.9% of every thing that goes on around you has nothing to do with you. Don't take this kind of behavior personally.

By the way sold the car the next day, for $2000.00 to a very nice lady.

rfraboni

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 08:34:33 pm »
Since I seem to be one of those customers that is always trying to get the beest price and trying to compare other regions and get frustrated I have to admit I think that handled the situation very well.  Even when I have been at my most frustrated I still try to keep my cool and try to understand that factors vary by region.

I have have been looking at buying the spa at the local dealer even though he is not willing to move on his price or include the usual accessories.  He would not even budge when the price was from a dealer at a home show 70 miles away.  

Personally I value to local dealers and what they can offer if you should need assistance.

I think that respect should go from both the dealer and the customer and vice versa.

I do feel for your situation and I do not think you should worry about how you handled it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 08:38:54 pm »
I think you handled it fairly. But I truely think most people believe (as I did once) that the warranty must be honored by any affiliated dealer. Actually I know of a HS dealer who sold someone I know a tub and told them the local dealer (not the selling dealer) HAS to fix the tub.

Maybe if that happens again you can ask for the dealer's name and call their bluff. Tell the customer to hold on as you call the dealer that quoted them the price and "find out exactly what's included".  Maybe even ask their name and use it when talking to the dealer, if he is selling it at the quoted price ask the dealer how they can sell it for so low. If the customer doesn't know the name, ask where they shopped as HS has a dealer's network and you can find which one they were at.

Be extremely customer oriented - You may see them sweat!! Tell them you want them to get their best price ...

... Then tell them you won't service their tub! ;D

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 10:19:18 pm »
In hindsight, I would have stopped with the "Sounds like a good deal, you should buy one" and made mental note of him.  You grudgingly could provide service (since based on your posts you are quite service oriented) but assess that "reasonable" trip charge for warranty repairs that is allowed in the HS warranty.

Sales is a tougher job than most people realize.  Even though I am usually tougher on big purchases, rudeness never comes into play.  Chalk it up to some folks are going to act like that no matter what you say.  As a consumer, you catch more flies with honey.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:19:49 pm by rexspent »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 10:35:55 pm »
I used to work at a liquor store in my college days.
We weren't the cheapest store on the block- the owner charged what he felt he had to to make his business.
He didn't do loss leaders, and only put things on sale when he got a price break he could pass along.  Very equitable guy.  
Every so often someone would come in and whine because we charged $1.50 more on an $20 bottle of Bailey's than the discount outlet 10 miles out of town.  
That person never did buy anything from us, I think he just had fun trying to bait us.  Didn't work.  I just said that I didn't set the prices and offered to have him come in when the owner was in the store to discuss pricing with him.  Far as I know, he never did.  And he probably burned up that $1.50 in wasted time and gasoline.
There's just no winning with some people.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 10:35:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42