What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Quartz heater for cold weather  (Read 4284 times)

nhskier

Quartz heater for cold weather
« on: November 01, 2005, 10:03:47 pm »
I'm trying to figure out the cold weather tub entry/exit routine for the coming winter here in New England - the first winter with our hot tub.  I've come across an outdoor quartz heater designed to warm up a small patio area which looks like it might be great for use while drying off, closing up the cover, etc.

Has anyone had any experience with a Solaira Quartz Patio Heater?  I'm wondering how well it would work in typical New England winter weather.  This dealer website has info and pictures of the unit.

http://www.infraredheaters.com/solaira.htm

It looks ideal - warms objects not the air, wall mounted, standard 120V plug, instant heat - no warm-up time.

Thanks in advance for any info!

NHskier

Hot Tub Forum

Quartz heater for cold weather
« on: November 01, 2005, 10:03:47 pm »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
Re: Quartz heater for cold weather
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 10:18:58 pm »
I have a similar unit in my spa house.  It's 1500 watts and the quarts bulbs take a minute to get warmed up.  I don't think that it will cast enough heat for what you are looking for unless you are quite close but it may tke the edge off on the way in.  The web site did crack me up.  I would kick my kids butt for going outside in the cold in a T-shirt to play chess.  

PackerPaul

• Go Packers
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 10:58:37 pm »
Looks like a pretty good idea, but $82 for a replacement bulb??!!! We are thinking about a free standing patio propane heater for our yet to be built 12' by 18' screened in porch/spa room.http://www.patioheaterstore.com/patio-heaters/free-standing-patio-heaters/shop.cfm?kwid=propane%20patio%20heater&N=408+4294835865&source=overture

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:22:23 am »
Here in Northern Minnesota we have never had a problem getting out of the tub, no matter how cold, wrapping a towel around our waist, walking in the house and getting dressed then walking back out to cover the tub. Actualy when you get out of 102 degree water into 10 degree air it is not as cold as you think and very invigoration. Wait till you see the steam rise from every square inch of your body. Get out, roll in the fresh powdered snow, and then get back in if you want to wake up your senses and open your pores.
Retired

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 07:27:53 am »
Looks like a pretty good idea, but $82 for a replacement bulb??!!! We are thinking about a free standing patio propane heater for our yet to be built 12' by 18' screened in porch/spa room.http://www.patioheaterstore.com/patio-heaters/free-standing-patio-heaters/shop.cfm?kwid=propane%20patio%20heater&N=408+4294835865&source=overture

4,000 Btu (electric) Vs 40,000 Btu (gas)...go for the latter. I use a 30,000 Btu tank-mounted infrared unit in my garage, and on cold camping trips. Works great, just like standing in front of a fire.

The electric one looks like something I could use in my 14 x12 spa room, mounted just over the spot where we dry off. Since we open up all the windows to cool down the room, only when we use the tub, this would be great to warm up to afterwards, without heating the entire room.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 07:37:35 am by johnvb »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:49:49 am »

4,000 Btu (electric) Vs 40,000 Btu (gas)...go for the latter. I use a 30,000 Btu tank-mounted infrared unit in my garage, and on cold camping trips. Works great, just like standing in front of a fire.

If you are using your propane heater outside with nothing to stop the wind the heat just flies away, the quartz heater heats up everything regardless of wind or shelter.
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 08:14:33 am »
Same here for doing without.  You do have a few minutes after getting out of the water to get a towel and or robe on, and get into the house.  I've done it in below zero weather.  If it's really windy and that cold, it's another story, but then I'd probably not go out to the spa that night.
Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 09:27:27 am »
Same here for doing without.  You do have a few minutes after getting out of the water to get a towel and or robe on, and get into the house.  I've done it in below zero weather.  If it's really windy and that cold, it's another story, but then I'd probably not go out to the spa that night.

I agree with Brewman.  This may  not be as big an issue as you think.  

I live in New England  (Central MA). I have found that when you get out of the water your body temp is very high (obviously) and you are also surrounded by a blanket of warm air from the water.  This seems to almost "insulate" you for a bit.

I almost think it's better to not wrap yourself in a robe that was sitting outside and is now ice cold, but better to just walk into the house au natural, or with a suit on and then put on a robe, or towel inside.

You  have much more time than you think before you start to get "Cold".

Wind will greatly effect this.

Have a clear path to get back to the house.

Also,  close up half the cover of the spa while still stitting in it, so that when you get out you minimize the time outside. I also bring any chems (dichlor) with me in premeasured  water proof bottles with me, to minimize the after soak time needed to do the chem dose.

I would wait  and actually see how "bad" it is before investing any money into heaters. You may find you don't need them at all.

Flip flops or some boots may be needed for the feet, but I find it very, very rare for me. YMMV.

Hell, there have been times I've leaped out of the tub, buck naked , and jumped into 3' snow drifts,  had races to one end of the yard and back, through the snow and back into the tub. Yes alchohol was involved.  It felt like burning....But that's another thread. ;)  

My point? Don't sweat the cold!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 09:38:36 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

chaunceyboyblu

• im daddy
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:24:52 am »
we just got our tub and we are in NW Montana. all my friends with hot tubs say even when it gets way below zero they use theirs and the short walk back in isnt as bad as it seems, just get out and go quickly. I am anxious to see how this works, one said his hair froze. thats weird. i was thinking about a small glass or plexi glass tunnel to ours, but im sure that is rediculouos. r

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 10:59:53 am »
... one said his hair froze. thats weird.

This happens a lot to me and is not uncomfortbale. I actually find it quite amusing and entertaining.

But then again, I am very easly amused.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 12:18:51 pm »
Ditto on both the hair freezing, and the easily amused thing.

Brewman

nhskier

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 10:32:31 pm »
Thanks for all the great comments!

I suppose it does make sense to hold off on anything for the time being, and see how it goes once we get into the real cold weather.   We purposely positioned the tub just a couple of steps from the entry to a 3-season porch, so outside time can be kept to a minimum if needed.

NHskier

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 10:58:52 pm »
You'll be fine then.  Really, you don't start getting cold all that fast, as you'll soon see.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 10:58:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42