What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lithium Hypochlorite with HS Freshwater III?  (Read 6368 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Lithium Hypochlorite with HS Freshwater III?
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:21:40 pm »
My local Hotspring dealer recommends using Lithium Hypochlorite instead of Dichlor or MPS as part of the Freshwater water system.  They have all thier wet spas setup with this routine.  The manual actually recommends using Dichlor or MPS with the Silver Ion Cartridge and Ozone.  

The dealer claims that the water does not give off a chlorine odor and you don't need to shower after getting out of the tub.  They were actually selling it as a chlorine free product.

I did a little research and discovered it's a form of chlorine with a higher PH.  I also understand that it is used in Canada where Dichlor isn't as prevalent.   This doesn't sound like something I want to try but I'm curious if anybody else has tried this?  Sounds like my dealer (salesperson) is misinformed.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2005, 11:46:01 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Lithium Hypochlorite with HS Freshwater III?
« on: October 30, 2005, 10:21:40 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Lithium Hypochlorite with HS Freshwater III?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 11:58:50 pm »
Hey Gombo,

I used Lithium Hypo for many years with very good results. It CAN NOT be sold as a chlorine free product by any means but it was a good shock. It does have a pH of about 12 so it had the ability to negatively affect pH in that regard. With all the great non chlorine shocks available now, lithium Hydpo is kind of old school and has no real benefit.

Lithium Hypo is not to replace Dichlor. It is not a stabilized form of chlorine and therefore dissipates quickly. It's for this reason that it made a very good shock but not a product to sustain chlorine levels between usage as levels would drop quite qickly after the addition of lithium hypo.

Hope this helps.

Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 07:44:07 am »
I agree with Steve.  The advantage of lithium hypochlorite is that it is a non stabilized chlorine, therefore it will not add to CYA.  It is commonly used as a chlorine shock for pools for this reason.  The disadvantages are the higher pH and the lower chlorine percentage adding to TDS and needing more product to attain the desired chlorine level.  If I remember correctly, I think it is relatively expensive or maybe just more expensive to use because you need to use double the amount.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 07:46:14 am by tony »

Debra

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 08:08:19 am »
We are in Canada and have been using the lithium hypochlorite in our new Sundance for one month.  I do like it because there is no chlorine smell afterwards.  But I did not know about the increase ph and TDS which is what we had a problem with in our first month so we ended up dumping the water after less than 3 weeks.  We'll see how the levels are this month.  So far it's been great, very easy to add.  We also use a non-chlorine shock once a week.

c00ter

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 02:20:33 pm »
I am also using Lithium Hypochlorite as a shock, once a week per the recommendation of my SD dealer.  I am also using Bromine tabs in the filter basket and my tub has an Ozone.  

My question, is it better to use a using a non-chlorine shock vs the Lithium Hypochlorite?  If so which one...  I have only had my Maxxus for 1 month and really not had any water probs, besides foaming (which I think was from bathing suits).

Thanks

Karl

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 02:27:55 pm »
You are much further ahead using a non chlorine shock weekly than lithium hypo.

Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 03:28:33 pm »
We are in Canada and have been using the lithium hypochlorite in our new Sundance for one month.  I do like it because there is no chlorine smell afterwards.

Dichlor is not going to give you any more chlorine smell than lithium hypochlorite.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 04:39:51 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  It's the Chloramines that give off the chlorine smell.  From what I have read chlorine is orderless.  I'll have to go back and look into it further.  

Dichlor is not going to give you any more chlorine smell than lithium hypochlorite.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 09:44:16 pm »
 If I remember correctly, I think it is relatively expensive or maybe just more expensive to use because you need to use double the amount.

Both. It is more expensive by weight. I sell 800 Grams for $17.99 CDN and 800 Grams of Dichlor for $12.99 CDN. We make less profit on the Lihchlor too.

Dosage wise, 20G/1,000L for Dichlor, 35G/1,000L of Lithclor for shocking purposes.
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 09:47:41 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  It's the Chloramines that give off the chlorine smell.  From what I have read chlorine is orderless.  I'll have to go back and look into it further.  

Chlorine is definitely not odour free. Some forms are stinkier than others (trichlor is the worst IMHO).

Chloramines do smell much stronger and are usually the source of comments like:
"I can't stand the smell of chlorine"
OR
"I hate the way my skin feels after swimming in Chlorine"
Homeworks Financing Representative

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 09:47:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42