What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for dealers  (Read 2445 times)

jdheffer

Question for dealers
« on: October 29, 2005, 08:56:31 am »
My local Hot Springs dealer only had last years model of the Grandee on the showroom floor, not the HP.  We wet tested it, but weren't that impressed.  We tried the HP Vanguard and HP Vista since they said the feel would be the same, but we really wanted to wet test the Grandee HP.  I wasn't going to buy it without wet testing the real thing.

We gave them a few weeks to sell the old Grandee while we looked around and tested other tubs.  I called back this week and told them we were getting close to making a decision and asked the owner to put a new HP Grandee out so we could wet test it.  I told him that we would not consider their tub without trying it.

He said he could not do that, but he would take $1,000 off the price.  This was great, but I still wasn't going to buy a tub without trying it out, no matter what the price.  

Was I being unreasonable to ask them to do this?  I can't believe they would pass up a potential sale because they didn't want to move around some tubs on the showroom floor.  I don't know, maybe that is a big deal to do?  I would think losing a $9,000 sale and me telling people how unaccommodating they were would be a bigger deal.

Needless to say, we did not buy from them.

I just would like to know why a dealer would do this.......thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Question for dealers
« on: October 29, 2005, 08:56:31 am »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Question for dealers
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2005, 09:12:34 am »
My local Hot Springs dealer only had last years model of the Grandee on the showroom floor, not the HP. šWe wet tested it, but weren't that impressed. šWe tried the HP Vanguard and HP Vista since they said the feel would be the same, but we really wanted to wet test the Grandee HP. šI wasn't going to buy it without wet testing the real thing.

We gave them a few weeks to sell the old Grandee while we looked around and tested other tubs. šI called back this week and told them we were getting close to making a decision and asked the owner to put a new HP Grandee out so we could wet test it. šI told him that we would not consider their tub without trying it.

He said he could not do that, but he would take $1,000 off the price. šThis was great, but I still wasn't going to buy a tub without trying it out, no matter what the price. š

Was I being unreasonable to ask them to do this? šI can't believe they would pass up a potential sale because they didn't want to move around some tubs on the showroom floor. šI don't know, maybe that is a big deal to do? šI would think losing a $9,000 sale and me telling people how unaccommodating they were would be a bigger deal.

Needless to say, we did not buy from them.

I just would like to know why a dealer would do this.......thanks!

Jd, my company would have filled anytub for you to try its only right that you know exactly what you are buying before you buy it. if you dont like my tub I certainly dont want you buying one and telling 10 of your friends how terrible it is, then they tell 10 of their friends, word of mouth is critical in my market and would assume this to be true anywhere. You did the right thing not buying what you could not try.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 09:13:18 am by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2005, 10:01:16 am »
My dealer filled a total of five tubs for three wet test sessions.  I bought one of the final test tubs, then two weeks after delivery changed my mind and wanted the first tub I tested.  He gave me full credit on the trade-in and a good price on the final tub.

Speaking of the final tub, when delivered we found it had a air line leak buried under foam so one of the air dials had no effect.  The tech said he could fix it, but he would have to dig a bunch of foam away.  The dealer said no-way, not on a new tub, called the factory ordered a new tub, and left the air leak tub at my house until the new one came in. So I have had a total of three tubs in the last six months, but have never been without one.

Now that's a dealer.  Ultimately, Vita didn't do too badly either.  It's a great tub.

p.s. I have sent several other people to that dealer who are considering tubs.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 10:02:02 am by JJ »

TCat

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2005, 11:20:05 am »
We wet tested a Vanguard last night.  We reallyliked it a lot, but I think for us, bigger would be better, so we're also considering a Grandee.  The one they had there is the older type, with single moto-massagers.  The dealer said it would sit and feel just like the Vanguard, but when we sat in it dry, some of the seats felt higher or a little different.  So would it be foolish to take his word that it would be the same w/out wet testing it?  They don't have one of the newer ones on the floor, so wet testing one of those may not be an option at all.  Reading this, I'm thinking maybe we should be more demanding???

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 11:22:57 am »
We wet tested a Vanguard last night. šWe reallyliked it a lot, but I think for us, bigger would be better, so we're also considering a Grandee. šThe one they had there is the older type, with single moto-massagers. šThe dealer said it would sit and feel just like the Vanguard, but when we sat in it dry, some of the seats felt higher or a little different. šSo would it be foolish to take his word that it would be the same w/out wet testing it? šThey don't have one of the newer ones on the floor, so wet testing one of those may not be an option at all. šReading this, I'm thinking maybe we should be more demanding???

As much as I like the new Hotspring tubs and I do, You had better wettest it! when its in your backyard is not the optimum time to realize you baught the wrong spa for you and your family.
-SpaMan~

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 11:33:30 am »
Sorry your dealer wasn't more accomodating: perhaps he wants to be sure the older Grandee is sold before he begins showing the newer one.

Is there another HS dealer somewhere within a reasonable drive who WILL show you the new Grandee?

I don't think this guy is trying to loose your business, but he may be limited in what he can do.

BTW - think for a moment about the time and expense of bringing in a $9K tub for you to wet test, swapping the floor models, but then having to swap it out again, take that brand new spa and stick it into the warehouse until the older unit sells. . .

I think the $1000 offer is genuine. You can get a very good idea of the dual motos and other jets in other HP models, and the seating is not changed in the new model Grandee.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

jdheffer

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 08:05:43 am »

Is there another HS dealer somewhere within a reasonable drive who WILL show you the new Grandee?

There is another dealer 40 miles away, but they said they were out of my area.  We wanted to just wet test with them, but they didn't have a new tub on the floor either.

BTW - think for a moment about the time and expense of bringing in a $9K tub for you to wet test, swapping the floor models, but then having to swap it out again, take that brand new spa and stick it into the warehouse until the older unit sells. . .

Like I said, think of the expense of losing a $9,000 sale and all the negative things I am going to tell everyone about them.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:42:06 am »
Like I said, think of the expense of losing a $9,000 sale and all the negative things I am going to tell everyone about them.  

Maybe they need to feel more secure that you are serious. I'm NOT siding with them as I would think you've let them know you're serious and I'd probably take the chance if I were them to set it up. However, while they certainly are risking losing the sale they are hardly "wronging" anyone and don't deserve the "all the negative things I am going to tell everyone about them" treatment. Save that for a dealer that is truly doing you wrong.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:42:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42