What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge: What Is It???  (Read 2238 times)

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge: What Is It???
« on: October 30, 2005, 09:44:31 pm »
OK, so I was bored and started reading the container of the blue Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge when I noticed the following:

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic organisms.

I'm not bored anymore. I want to know why I'm putting pesticide in my spa? What actually is in a mineral cartridge anyway?
Elsewhere it reads that "use of the Mineral Cartridge as directed can reduce bromine levels up to 50% to 80%..."

Is that true? Is it also a sanitizer like Bromine and Ozone? ???

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge: What Is It???
« on: October 30, 2005, 09:44:31 pm »

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge: What Is It???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 09:54:47 pm »
Yes, I've been to there website at http://www.kingtechnology.com but they don't give any real information.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 10:30:33 pm »
I just just today received an email from King about the mineral cartridge for pools and its approval from the EPA....I do not have it here at home or I could post its text.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:00:55 am »
OK, so I was bored and started reading the container of the blue Spa Frog Mineral Cartridge when I noticed the following:

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: This pesticide is toxic to fish and aquatic organisms.

This suprises me I did not know this!!! I guess this means it will keep the mosquitos away also.

I'm not bored anymore. I want to know why I'm putting pesticide in my spa? What actually is in a mineral cartridge anyway?
Elsewhere it reads that "use of the Mineral Cartridge as directed can reduce bromine levels up to 50% to 80%..."
Is that true? Is it also a sanitizer like Bromine and Ozone? ???
Phil

None of the mineral cartridges are approved sanitizers and can not be treated as such. Will they help to reduce your sanitizer quantity, Yes. They can also be very helpfull between soaks, in other words if your not going to use your tub for a few days they will help to keep up on the cleaning duties if you don't put in any sanitizer. But an approved sanitizer should be uses primarily, and anything else should be secondary.
Retired

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:10:04 am »
I used to use the frog before Sundance came out with their version of N2.  I used it with dichlor.  I emailed them regarding the contents.  Its been a while but if my memory serves me they use silver and zinc.  It is slightly different than what N2 uses but not terribly different.  I believe N2 uses some copper.  Whatever it is, it is what allows the frog to use bromine and N2 not to.  Lately, it seems the frog has found its niche with bromine users and they market it this way, now.

As for the fish thing, I would lend a guess here and say that in such a small environment such as an aquarium, the silver or zinc could be hazardous to those fish.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:10:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42