What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: rusting cover lifter bar  (Read 2847 times)

Debra

rusting cover lifter bar
« on: October 28, 2005, 10:09:46 am »
The top bar on our cover lifter is rusting leaving long brown streaks running down top of the cover.  Is this to be expected and common?  It doesn't look good at all.  Our tub is only one month old.  I would have thought that shouldn't happen for a couple of years.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hot Tub Forum

rusting cover lifter bar
« on: October 28, 2005, 10:09:46 am »

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
Re: rusting cover lifter bar
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:14:52 am »
I am awaiting delivery of our new tub and a new cover lifter.  I certainly would not expect the bar to rust after a few months or even a few years.

I would call the dealer and have it replaced (by them) for one with stainless steel.

What brand is it?

We'll have to see if others have had similar concerns .

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 10:30:38 am »
What brand of cover lift is it? And, what color is it (there are a few "counterfits" of name brands around)?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Debra

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 10:41:14 am »
Our tub is made by Sundance and it's their lifter.  The cover is grey and the bars are all black.  Are there others who have had this problem?  Do you think this should be covered under warranty?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 10:56:01 am »
 I was greatly dissapointed recently when this began happening to some of our customers. It all started when one of the (Non HotSpring) cover lift manufacturers called me and said they were offering a simple lift for an extra-low price if I bought in quantity. I had been using their other products with good success for years, so I ordered sight unseen.  

Now I am the proud owner of lifts which are made of steel (aluminum is the norm - and works much better) and I think they are painted as opposed to being powder-coated. I am not sure about the paint, but if that's a powder coat, it's the thinnest one I have seen. Whatever finish they put on does fail quickly, and then the rust begins.  

I really can't go out replacing the lifts, tanother lift would leave holes in the spa. So I am removing, sanding and painting them. Seems to work fine - at the cost of an hour or more of my labor...

In your case - I would ask for some help. If Sundance is selling lifts made of steel, then they should have enough protective coating to last awhile. If they will not do anything, you could at least ask for a discount on a lifter made of aluminum. Or, you can spend some time with sandpaper and a good brand of spraypaint.  

Sand off all the rust, prime with Rustoleum or similar, let it dry and then two coats of gloss black. Or any color you like..
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 11:39:26 am »
 The cover is grey and the bars are all black.  

You're sure the cover LIFTER is black? and not dark grey? It should be covered under warranty.

Is this what the lift looks like;

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Debra

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 12:06:56 pm »
No, that's not the one we have.  We have one that lifts the cover right down beside the tub so that only about 12" of it is sticking up above the tub.  It is black. There is a 3 piece bar running accross the top of the tub.  It is at both joints of these bars where the rust is occurring.

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 05:07:33 pm »
Your description matches, what many Sundance Dealers sell, it is the Covermate I  with the Sundance bracket, the Lifter is made by Leisure Concepts. The Sundance bracket was designed to work with the Sundance cabinet frame. To see if it is your lifter, go to www.leisureconcepts.com and look for the covermate I with the optional Sundance bracket. Dave.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 05:13:51 pm »
Or does it look like this;

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 05:16:45 pm »
Thanks for the photo Doc,
That is the Covermate I with the optional Sundance bracket.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 05:23:59 pm »
Looking back, as much as I spent on my tub, the electric and concrete I wish I had spent more on a cover lifter. I think I got a knock off Covermate 1. In the long run, a little better investment up front would have been better.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Debra

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 07:16:28 pm »
I just looked at that website and don't see our lifter on there at all.   ???   I think I'll call the dealer to find out what kind it is.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 07:16:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42