What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: proper way to drain a tub during cold winter  (Read 17899 times)

teach

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
proper way to drain a tub during cold winter
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:11:38 am »
Is there a sure fire method to drain a hot tub during winter?  I sometimes am not home for several weeks at a time during the winter.  I was wondering what the best method is to drain a tub inorder to assure tub is safe from freeze up, if a power failure occurs, while I am absent.  Really don't have any neighbors who could watch the tub during that situation.  Any precautions to take during refill and restart up, when I return?   What do others do when they leave their tub unattended for an extended period of time during winter?

Hot Tub Forum

proper way to drain a tub during cold winter
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:11:38 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: proper way to drain a tub during cold winter
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 08:29:48 am »
You'd have to do a thorough job of getting all the plumbing drained.  The best method would be to drain the water before it got cold.  Personally, I'd only drain my spa in sub freezing weather if circumstances forced me to, like a prolonged power outage.  
In my opinion the risk of draining in sub freezing temps is higher than the odds of our power going out.  
We never have winter power outages, and if we did, I'd be more concerned about the water pipes in the house freezing than my spa.  
Our owners manual has a procedure to follow for draining in sub freezing temps.  So check there for any advice from your specific spa mfg.  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 08:30:35 am by Brewman »
Brewman

teach

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 09:55:32 am »
If power does go off while you are away and several hours later the power is restored, does the tub just start up again, or does the power interuption cause the GFIC breaker to trigger and someone must then reset the breaker before the tub again works?

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 10:01:48 am »
  Just pick it up and tip it over.   ;D  ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 10:08:17 am »
If power does go off while you are away and several hours later the power is restored, does the tub just start up again, or does the power interuption cause the GFIC breaker to trigger and someone must then reset the breaker before the tub again works?

In short,  No. Some one is not needed to flip the circuit breakers when power comes back on because typical power outages do not trip the GFCI circuit breaker.

A circuit breaker trips because the load exceeds the pre-determained maximum aperage. This can be caused by a short circuit, or too many amps being drawn (Too many applicances on the circuit) or a power spike (lightening can do this).  If the circuit breaker is tripped, it will need to be flipped back on manually.

When power is restored duing an outage, the tub should start up to the default settings for temp and filter cylces.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 10:09:59 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 10:31:22 am »
 Just pick it up and tip it over.   ;D  ;)

Or drill a hole in the bottom.  It'd be easier to lift without the water in it.

Terminator
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 10:31:54 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 05:23:01 pm »
Shop vac, drain plug on the wet end. This of course after all the water is out. Turn the shop vac around and blow air into the jet holes to force the water to the equipment. I take the unions off at the gate valves but I am a plumber.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 07:10:10 pm »
I wouldn't attempt to drain the tub in the winter until you have it down pat!

I typically use a sump pump hose and it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to drain and then about the same to refill. I guess if it's above 40 F you can get away with it but I wouldn't attempt it at anything freezing or below especially being a newbie. All you need is to have the power off just a little too long and you'll have frozen pipes.

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 10:14:57 pm »
As quickly as possible!!!

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 10:14:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42