What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help J-385 or Marquis Epic??  (Read 4575 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Help J-385 or Marquis Epic??
« on: October 19, 2005, 04:23:25 pm »
Help, this has been the hardest purchase that I have ever considered. I visited a Marquis dealer today and checked out the Epic ($9,200.)and the the Everyday U530 ($7500). The Epic is wonderful, though a bit out of my budget range. Then we stopped at the Jacuzzi dealer and looked at a J-385 (about $8,000). We are going to wet test this weekend and I plan to purchase by next Week. Can someone clarify a couple of the differences in the two brands?  The Marquis dealer said her tubs don't use a "circ" pump, instead one of the main pumps acts as a circulation pump would. The Jacuzzi dealer said that the ozone isn't as effective if a unique pump isn't designated to circulate the water.  He also said that the Jacuzzi filtration system, using minerals, is so effective only occasional shocking is required. He said Bromine is irritating so using less, is better. The Epic has a spa frog.
Is there anything (and I know the wet test should really be the determining factor) that really makes one of these tubs stand out from the other two as far as dependability?
Is the Epic worth the price difference?
The Jacuzzi dealer was giving me a discount because my sister just purchased a swimming pool from them.
All of them come with covers, hydrolic lifters and steps. The dealers are reputable and have been in business 20+ years. If I hit the Powerball tonight, my problem will be solved and I will just order all three! Thanks!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Help J-385 or Marquis Epic??
« on: October 19, 2005, 04:23:25 pm »

cappykat

Re: Help J-385 or Marquis Epic??
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 05:41:05 pm »
I went through the exact dilemma.  We narrowed it down to the Epic and the J-385.  I thought I loved the 385 until I wet tested the Epic.  I still think the 385 is a great tub.  For us it just came down to the Epic fitting both my husband and me better, and providing what we thought was better therapy.

The 385 was actually a bit more than the Epic when we purchased, that was in early August.  But we got an exceptional deal on the Epic.  

Good luck with your choice.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.
2005 Marquis Epic

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 05:51:58 pm »
Thank you for your input, you obviously know how hard it is to decide.  Maybe I should just let my husband and kids decide for me. My sister went crazy over the Epic and wanted me to buy it right away. Please keep posting about all the things you love about yours!

cappykat

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 06:20:56 pm »
This journey has really been one of "Epic proportions"...LOL!!  I think we started the process in April??  It's been a long wait!  I will keep everyone posted when delivery is set.

2005 Marquis Epic

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 06:21:01 pm »
The Marquis dealer said her tubs don't use a "circ" pump, instead one of the main pumps acts as a circulation pump would.

Now is that good or bad? It depends on who you ask.

The Jacuzzi dealer said that the ozone isn't as effective if a unique pump isn't designated to circulate the water.  

I do agree with this. A circ pump allows for 24 hr ozone whereas a 2-speed pump would have ozone on about 1/3 of the day. At the same time, I wouldn't decide my purchase based on this.

He also said that the Jacuzzi filtration system, using minerals, is so effective only occasional shocking is required.

ANY spa can use a mineral system. BTW, you DO still want to use some chlroine, even with a mineral system (oftern referred to as Nature II). Don't let anyone sell you on the old "our spa can be used without chorine" routine as a way to entice you.

He said Bromine is irritating so using less, is better. The Epic has a spa frog.

Some like Bromine, some don't. I'm not a fan but the reality is you have to find out for yourself.

Is there anything (and I know the wet test should really be the determining factor) that really makes one of these tubs stand out from the other two as far as dependability?

A wet test will more often than not point in one direction or the other. No one can really tell you which of these are better for YOU other than yourself (or your spouse ;)).

Is the Epic worth the price difference?

Epic owners and dealers would probably say YES. J-385 owners and dealers would probably say NO. Since each would be giving their opinion I'd bet all would pass a lie detector.

If I hit the Powerball tonight, my problem will be solved and I will just order all three!

...and I'll come work for you as your spa and pool boy ($200,00[size=18]0[/size]k/yr, you can afford it).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 07:05:48 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

cappykat

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 06:24:42 pm »
...and I'll come work for you as your spa and pool boy ($200,00k/yr, you can afford it).

HAAA!!!...and I guess that would make her a "Desperate Housewife"!!
2005 Marquis Epic

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 06:39:03 pm »

HAAA!!!...and I guess that would make her a "Desperate Housewife"!!

My question is was the typo for $200,000K per year or did he mean $200, O Ok per year ???

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 08:57:09 pm »
Spa tech,
If I hit the powerball tonight, I will send you your first year's salary plus a bonus for being so helpful.
I think the statistics for hitting the powerball is something like the chance of getting hit with lightening while drinking a Bahama Mama as you soak in your new hot tub under a harvest moon.  But I still take the chance!  Thanks so much for your help!

jdheffer

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 09:40:08 pm »
We wet tested both along with a few other brands.  The 385 was the first to be eliminated from our list only because it wasn't that comfortable for us when wet tested it.  The lounger pushed us to the side and some of the other seats just didn't fit that well.  We loved the foot jets in the 385 though.

The only issue I had with the Epic was that the neck jets made a lot of noise because they are out of the water and it sprayed alot.  This did not happen when we tested the Destiny, so I don't know why the Epic did this.  It was very loud and not very relaxing.  I may wet test again to see if it was the water level or what.  I might not buy the Epic because of this alone.

Has anyone else had this issue with the neck jets on the Epic?

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 10:21:38 pm »
Both are very nice spas, If you want a warranty that is more inclusive than read both in total. Somethings are different, the outside cabinet being one example on one of the spas it is covered for 7 years against, warping . fading and cracking on the other is only until the delivery crew leaves , both are nice spas and I think you will enjoy them both. You just need to decide what type of things are important to you. I have to say I hate it when a dealer over sells something and it is unfair to the customer to imply things that are simply not true. With regards to water care just remember Hot Water is Hot Water in any brand of spa and what it takes to keep it sanitized and clean should be just about the same for any spa , some will make it is nicer with in-line feeders, etc,... but you can apply just about any sanitizer routine to just about any spa.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 10:27:50 pm »
The only issue I had with the Epic was that the neck jets made a lot of noise because they are out of the water and it sprayed alot.  This did not happen when we tested the Destiny, so I don't know why the Epic did this.  It was very loud and not very relaxing.  

Unless someone is sitting in the seats the neck jets should not be on, without a body in the seat they are loud and do spray water. If someone was sitting in front of them than it would be odd for the noise to be an issue.

jdheffer

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 10:49:03 pm »
`
Unless someone is sitting in the seats the neck jets should not be on, without a body in the seat they are loud and do spray water. If someone was sitting in front of them than it would be odd for the noise to be an issue.

I was in the seat and it was horrible.  Like I said, I didn't understand why this happened because the Destiny was no problem.  I asked the sales guy and he didn't have an answer.  The angle of the neck jets on the Epic was slightly different than the Destiny, this is the only thing I could think of, unless the water level was lower in the Epic.  It didn't appear to be though.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 11:52:45 pm »
We have never had that issue with the Epic...there are 3 seats that offer neck jets and all at different heights did they all hit you the same way.....?

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 11:59:06 pm »
Let me respond to your question about the ozone and circulation pump.

The more water you flow through an ozone jet, the more oxygen is pulled through the ozonator to produce ozone.  It's very simple.  Yes a circulation pump is running 24 hours a day, and when a pump button has not been pressed, it continues to pull ozone into the tub.  However, the circ pump is pulling 6-8 gallons per minute through the ozone return.  Marquis uses a high flow pump, 80 gallons per minute (low speed) to heat and filter the water.  Now I cannot tell you how much water is circulated through the ozone return in a Marquis because the 80 gallons per minute also flows through about 4 - 20 jets (depending on tri-zone setting)  But I'll bet it's very similar.

Now, to answer the difference in price between the J-385 and Epic.

I'll list a few features you might appreciate on the Epic, if you like the test soak vs. The 385.

1.  Exterior cabinet has superior warranty 7 vs 2
2.  Controls are on inside with additional floating remote for convenience.  vs. exterior location.
3.  Built in sanitizer vs manual or floating.  ( note:  this built-in is superior only when you truly understand how it works.  So get a good education on it from the dealer)
4.  Ozone is included.
5.  Cover is far better on Epic.  2# foam vs. 1.5#.  Double stitched vs single, 3 year warranty vs. none (through manufacturer), buckles for future adjustments vs none, linear heat seal for better efficiency vs. none, padded front and side handles vs standard and 4 color options vs 2 (correct me if i'm wrong anyone)
6.  5 year component warranty includes no fault on heater and pump(seals warranteed for 5 years against chemical damage) vs. heater only.
7.  Warranty is transferable to any owner.
8.  Tri-zone jet selector (3 way) vs Dual jet selector (2 way)(Again only superior if you understand it and it works for you)
9.  Tr-zone allows for over 35 jets that can handle 40 gallons per minute each.
10.  Home Monitor option to control spa functions from inside the house (Must get this...it's worth it for investment of $8,000+)
11.  7 year leak warranty vs 5
12.  Both have synthetic bases, but Marquis specifically warrants for 7 years vs none listed specifically.
13.  For people who say more pumps is better.  I remind them that Marquis used 3 pumps systems 4 years ago.  3 pumps produced 330 gallons per minute on 50 amp breaker.  Current two pump produces 320 gallons per minute.  Everyone knows pumps do not vary greatly in price because of hp or flow rating.  Better efficiency.  Lower future replacement costs.

This is not to discount Jacuzzi, but you asked for a refresher of why the Epic might be more expensive.  Only on paper does the Epic seem better.  If Jacuzzi seemed to "fit" you better...I'd buy the 385.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 01:30:36 am »
The more water you flow through an ozone jet, the more oxygen is pulled through the ozonator to produce ozone.  It's very simple.  Yes a circulation pump is running 24 hours a day, and when a pump button has not been pressed, it continues to pull ozone into the tub.  However, the circ pump is pulling 6-8 gallons per minute through the ozone return.  Marquis uses a high flow pump, 80 gallons per minute (low speed) to heat and filter the water.  Now I cannot tell you how much water is circulated through the ozone return in a Marquis because the 80 gallons per minute also flows through about 4 - 20 jets (depending on tri-zone setting)  But I'll bet it's very similar.

My understanding (please chime in) is you use different injectors depending on which pump you use (circ vs 2-speed) in order to meter the amount of ozone going in because you can't just pull more ozone with the bigger pump proportionate to the additional water moved. In other words the 2-speed pump moves much more water per minute but not much more ozone per minute. For this reason, I believe the amount of ozone put in the water for a circ pump spa versus a 2-speed pump spa is fairly similar per minute used but since the circ pump is used 3-4 times more in the end you get more ozone with an circ pump. Then again, I thought I could fix my dryer last week and am still scratching my head.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 01:30:36 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42