What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cloudy water--sort of  (Read 2834 times)

crapjack

• good stuff
cloudy water--sort of
« on: October 20, 2005, 05:56:08 pm »
My spa just arrived yesterday--Arctic Yukon-- and filled it yesterday after it was wired and then added the dealer recommended chemicals after it came up to temp 90+---1. Refresh(spa shock) 2. Best Defense 3. ultra spa 4. Bromine Booster 5. Bromine tabs in dispenser and a brand new filter
Have not been in spa yet, looking forward to using it tonight---opened lid after work today and water seems to be cloudy not clear not sure if this is normal for first ever fill---pump/heater never been used etc  or should i add something to clear it up or adjust Bromine tab dispenser(set at 4 right now)
This is all new to us here and am looking for a little guidance crystal clear water seems much more appealing!

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

cloudy water--sort of
« on: October 20, 2005, 05:56:08 pm »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Re: cloudy water--sort of
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:13:11 pm »
welcome  to the arctic ownership.  A few questions for you though.  I have an arctic tundra so I can give you some advice from my expierences.

Ok, first off, I need to know if you have a pleated filter or the new microban filter.  Depending on this, you do certain things.

Lets suppose you have the microban filter, if its new then you should have it.

Ok water gets put in and the only thing that you need to do is the following:

bromine tabs fill in dispenser, set to 6 to start, you can adjust as you go.

The only other thing that should be in the tub is the package of activator, peak bromine, small pack should have come with set up.  If not two capfuls of granulated bromine.

Thats it for the first week.  Dont do anything else with the arctic.   Dont add shock (refresh yet)

For the first two weeks, I would suggest that you shock after each use.  That really helped me until I learned how my chemicals reacted.

Do not waste any test strips yet nither.  Wait until the end of the week.  

Now if you have microban filter, the only chemicals that you are allowed to use are

refresh
bromine tabs
perfect balance (alk)
ph up and ph down
ultra spa

Do not add ultra spa yet.  I would wait two weeks.  It could react and cause foam.  Let the water get used a bit.

Ultra spa is awsome, it makes the water feel so good.  I would add two capfuls of ultra spa for the first time.  Every week after, add 1/2 cap of ultra spa.  
Wait two weeks before first use.

You will find with the arctic products using bromine that ph may vary a little but no much.  

When you use the bromine, you will notice that your total alk will lower quite often.  just add capful of perfect balance for each color that is off on the chart.

I kept track of how my water reacted, for the first little bit so I could develop a routine.  After two weeks of constant checking, I learned that every Friday I would fill my bromine dispenser, add two capfuls of perfect balance and a 1/2 capful of ultra spa.  This was it, so easy.  Honestly

Now for the cloudy water, I found that until the tub broke in, I did in fact get a little cloudy water, but once the filter breaks in, you will be crystal clear as long as you learn how to maintain your levels.

DONT ADD WATER CLARIFIER, DE FOAMERS ETC ETC WITH MICROBAN, YOU WILL CLOG THE FILTER AND RUIN IT.

Last but not least, dont fall victim of the newbie to hot tubs.  Everyone tends to over chemical the tub and are forced into an early water change.

Once your tub is worked in, add shock once a week on opposite day to all the other chemicals or after heavy bather load, one spoonful for each user.

Good luck, pm me if you have any further questions.  I will be happy to help.  

Dont forget, this is what worked for me and it may not be something that you like.

Where are you from

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 06:15:54 pm »
oh yeah, the other thing, when i first got it, i added to much shock as you probably did as well.

Your bromine level is to high more than likely.

As a result cloudy water.  Two ways to get rid of it.  Leave cover off for a couple of hours in day light, sun will reduce level, also another way to reduce is use the hell out of it.  

That is more than likely your issue, after re reading your post.  Good luck

dont add water clarifier or your filter is toast.

also if you added ultra spa already, then that may have caused the cloudy water.  I know fletch49 said that he got cloudy water when he used it.  I would wait a bit before adding it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 06:20:04 pm by bosco0633 »

crapjack

• good stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 06:27:52 pm »
Hi Bosco, when you say add "shock" after each use for the 1st  couple weeks you are talking about the Refresh? I have a microban disposable filter right now for the 1st month then i am on an exchange cleaning program with my dealer where he cleans my filter each month (no cost) I have 2 filters to offset exchange.
I agree thinking that the new water may need to get used before a true verdict is in--I will increase the Bromine tab dispenser to 6, and use tub later tonight---going down to -4 C tonight here---yyyouchh  

fletch49

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 06:40:22 pm »
Crapjack...My AS salesman told me to stay away from the product best defence. I realize that it is branded by AS, but he mentioned that several of his customers had in the past believed that the product best defence was the root cause of their cloudy water.

Not sure if this product does the same thing...but he sold me the blue water conditioner instead, and that seems to be working well.

You should only be using bromine, mps (refresh) and possibly the blue conditioner with the 1 mic filters.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 06:43:23 pm by Spazz »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:46:53 pm »
yeah sorry, refresh is shock

if you use the microban filter then you do not need to exchange your filter every month.  microban is good for three months then you throw away.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:46:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42