What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just Curious?  (Read 8722 times)

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
Re: Just Curious?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 10:18:27 am »
Ok, here's my reasons for choosing our tub in this order:

1.  Referral- I have a friend who worked at Fort Wayne Pool who gave me the name of a guy who used to be a tech and is now in sales.  He highly recommended Marquis for quality and said my dealer had won many awards for service.  So...

2.  Dealership.  For me, the dealership and salesperson did not go hand in hand.  The salesperson was just ok.

3.  Warrenty

4.  Power of jets

5.  Seating style- we really liked the lounge

That was on our first tub-Marquis SA Reward.  We sold that in order to get the second tub (Epic).   Our important factors were different for this one, in this order:

1.  Jet placement- We wanted leg jets to begin with, but Marquis didn't offer them when we bought the first tub.  And when we wet tested the Epic, the therapy pillar was awesome!

2.  Service-  Dennis and Rich are great.  They are very personable and went above and beyond as far as we're concerned.  They made us feel like we are their only customer, and really care.  If it wasn't for them, we might have considered checking out other brands the second time around.  I've seen them at the store a few times since they were out and they know who I am by name.  I just hope they stay with my dealer as long as we have our tub.
And I hope the dealer sees this and gives them a well deserved raise for keeping us as customers!

3.  Power of jets

4.  Quality of construction.

5.  Warrenty

Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 10:18:27 am »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2005, 10:34:29 am »
MY EARS ARE BURNING! I'm not sure why but they are burning.  ;)
-SpaMan~

shabba34

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2005, 11:34:05 am »
Paul,
The evolution for my store was this.  We carried a top 2 brand since 1984.  We always carried a secondary line with the thought that we would present the "Lexus" as the best, most energy effiecient...yada yada yada, but if someone wanted something other than white (oops) or couldn't afford it then we had another "plan B" brand.  What happened about 5 yrs ago is that our consumer started drifting away from the lexus when they realized that they could get a bigger spa with many more features for less money.
I, as a trainer, struggled to maintain the "Top Gun" type training we had from the "lexus" companyr and continue to pitch the better "Quality" but then came to realize that if we worked the program and explained why the smaller, less powered spa with less jets and no radio was a "better" spa many people got confused and walked.  

So I think it was that we started listening to what the customer wanted, not trying to sell them what we wanted to sell them.
And to think now that that "lexus" company has adapted so well to the evolution of the customer and remained at the pinnacle of the industry without sacrificing any of there "Quality", "Enginneering", or "Pricing" platforms. ;)
"White shells....  That's sooo 90's :P ;D.

cappykat

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 11:45:57 am »
Mine were:

1 Quality of construction
2 Comfort
3 Price
4 Warranty
5 Dealership
2005 Marquis Epic

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2005, 11:54:08 am »
I, as a trainer, struggled to maintain the "Top Gun" type training we had from the "lexus" companyr and continue to pitch the better "Quality" but then came to realize that if we worked the program and explained why the smaller, less powered spa with less jets and no radio was a "better" spa many people got confused and walked.  

I'm not the greatest salesman the world has ever seen, but I have very few problems helping customers understand the difference in VALUE between this spa which is bigger, has more jets, and costs less

and this spa which is smaller, has fewer jets, and costs more

You have to be able to explain to the customer in a way that makes sense to them why one is "Built for a Lifetime of Relaxation" and the other is basically a 5-10 year spa, at best.  It's more than just more jets, bigger pumps, pretty lights, and stereos.  It is about the materials used, the manufacturing process, the quality of jets, and the peace of mind and ease of ownership. ;D

Terminator
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:55:04 am by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2005, 11:58:01 am »
What is that "thing" above the beautiful hot Spring?
-SpaMan~

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2005, 12:16:40 pm »
What is that "thing" above the beautiful hot Spring?

It's a brand manufactured in Houston, TX.

Terminator

salesdvl

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2005, 12:43:24 pm »
Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that it cant be done, Goodness knows I did it for a long time.  I'm only suggesting that for our area, competition, etc...  it changed our way of looking at things.  We were not a Watkins only store.  What I'm saying is that there are more than one option for customers.  We didnt talk anyone out of a Hot Spring but for us it kinda stacked up like this.
(Last Year)
The Vangard         The Gr. Bahama
~ $7200                ~$7200
7'                                  8'
1 jet pump                   2 jet pumps
1 big light                     several multi LED lights
N/A                               SS jets
$1500 option               cd player w/ 6 speakers
N/A                              reverse modlded neck collar
Things like: circ pumps, full foam, resin cab were all the same.  

My only point is that we found that value that our customers found was greater in the bells and whistles.  And that, going back to my original post response, I would suggest to MY sales people that if the umbrella of "confidence, endurence, ease etcc" isnt hitting home then play to what the customer is liking most.  

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 12:44:57 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2005, 09:17:36 pm »
In your example with the Vanguard vs Grand Cayman, that's exactly what I did! Although I didn't realize that more jets and more pumps were part of "bells and whistles".

But I asked myself - 'Self, how much quality am I giving up?' The answer was not too much but again I'm a consumer. Is a Hot Springs that much better ... maybe or maybe not.

I read posts that some HS have problems, the same is true with Sundance and all the rest; so in my thoughts even "the best" can be faulty. And how can you fault any consumer who goes into a spa store and hear the merits of any spa being the best. No store is selling crappy spas and certainly any store that sells 2 or more brands are selling "the best" of that style, price range, ..., whatever; because they wouldn't put their reputation on the line!

In the situation of Artesian and HS, the case  may be made their products are of equal quality; what about a HS dealer selling Icon or Weslo ... do you think that dealer is telling their customer that only has $4000 that that spa is crap ... I don't think so.

The truth is unless someone is sold on "brand name" and there are people out there that are, all of us were (are) looking for the best they can afford. Sometimes it's the Vanguard and sometimes it's the Cayman and sometimes it's something else.

What happens 15 years from now, I don't know. If the tubs lasts that long with few problems and I'm assuming they probably will then the right choice was made by any of us.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 09:18:27 pm by Vinny »

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2005, 11:03:56 am »
Based on all of the comments...I would say the #1 reason anyone buys a certain brand is the sales person who is selling it.  There are many companies that are very successful selling what I would call horrible spas.  I think the dealer may have better long term growth with a quality referral company with fewer problems, but as far as numbers out the door:  sales person
                                               retailer reputation
                                           product (everything matters)
                                            price

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2005, 11:13:42 am »
I'm not the greatest salesman the world has ever seen, but I have very few problems helping customers understand the difference in VALUE between this spa which is bigger, has more jets, and costs less

and this spa which is smaller, has fewer jets, and costs more

Terminator

What could be better than an Envoy!!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2005, 11:20:03 am »

What could be better than an Envoy!!

Add one of these

and 2 of these

Terminator

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2005, 11:34:23 am »
Add one of these

You can't underestimate the value of the accessories.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2005, 11:42:48 am »
Based on all of the comments...I would say the #1 reason anyone buys a certain brand is the sales person who is selling it.  There are many companies that are very successful selling what I would call horrible spas.  I think the dealer may have better long term growth with a quality referral company with fewer problems, but as far as numbers out the door:  sales person
                                                retailer reputation
                                            product (everything matters)
                                             price

I will have to agree with Kyle on this.  If a customer doesn't like you, 99% of the time they aren't going to buy from you.

The very first boss I had gave me some of the best advice I've ever gotten:

Homer "Butch" Thomas- "You've got to sell yourself first.  It doesn't matter what you're selling, if the customer doesn't like you, they're not going to buy from you.  When you call on a company and the secretary doesn't like you, you aren't going to make it past the lobby.  Sell yourself, and everything else will take care of itself."

Homer, I raise my glass of Maker's Mark in salute to you, Amigo!

Terminator

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 02:23:23 pm »
1) Warranties
2) Quality of construction
3) Seating style
4) Sales Person
5) Bells & whistles

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 02:23:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42