What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How do you clean your filters?  (Read 5410 times)

Big_Ed

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How do you clean your filters?
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:31:38 pm »
Having a hard time getting all the residue out of mine (I did wait too long to clean them, spa noobie error).

Before I just bite the bullet and buy new ones, anybody have any good secrets on cleaning them well?  Keep in mind, I am a noob, so no advice is too basic.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

How do you clean your filters?
« on: October 13, 2005, 03:31:38 pm »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: How do you clean your filters?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:13:45 pm »
There are lots of products availible to clean your filter. Does your local dealer carry one? That is where I would start.

1.Rinse the filter.
2. Soak the filter in filter cleaner for 12-24 hours.
3. Rinse thoroughly. This is key, filter cleaner can lead to foaming and cloudy water if it gets into your tub water.

I recommend a fourth step, soak the filter in water for a few more hours and rinse again.
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:18:50 pm »
Unicel is one of the major suppliers of cartridge filters for spas.

Here is a link that will allow you to download their instructions on filter cleaning/maintenance:

http://64.60.149.245/unicel/prof_uni_frames.html

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 07:48:05 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 04:21:02 pm »
I use 1 cup TSP in a 5 gallon bucket and let it soak for an hour or so.  Then swish it around 3-4 times each time in clean water to get all the TSP rinsed out.  I bought a water nossle  at the store that is used specifically to hose down the driveway.  It gives alot of pressure and flushes everything out of the pleats of the filter.  Start at the top of the filter and go around the filter cleaning about 1/3 of the way down then do the next third and then the final third.  Works great for me.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:40 pm »
I take them to the place I get my spa chemicals from, and they clean them for me for no charge.  I suppose they have some big dunk tank or something- they do a better job at it than I did.  
I've also used some spray filter cleaner between dunkings if the filters looked like they needed it.
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 04:31:40 pm »
HTM's recommendations are great. Getting them done at the local spa store is good too but the only concern is do they they do it properly?

If they aren't putting the filters in bleach first for 5 -10 minutes, then they run the risk of contaminating all the filters if someone has a bacteria in theirs. These guys don't dump the cleaner after each use so if you use a local dealer, ask them if they do this. Sometimes the cost (free) is directly related to the quality of the job... ;)

Filters should be cleaned monthly to help extend the life of the filters and maintain good water quality. Personally, I use filter brite by SpaGuard and it is the best I've ever used.

Steve

Froggy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 06:22:49 pm »
How soon after I use my tub should I clean mine, I have Maxuus that we use every night.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 08:45:17 pm »
They look cleaner than when I clean them myself.  I'll ask next visit, though, thanks for the suggestion.  
I figure they are cleaning their own filters in there too, so they have the stores interest in mind not to put bad filters in their own wet test spas.
Brewman

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 08:46:40 pm »
How soon after I use my tub should I clean mine, I have Maxuus that we use every night.

I swap out at every water change, and do a quick clean in between based on what the filter looks like.  Maybe once every couple weeks based on our use.  YMMV.

Brewman

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 10:46:38 pm »

3-4 weeks rinse with hose...... put in the dishwasher at water changes (Tri-x filters)

OKC

• We love LA
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 11:42:33 pm »
Put it in the Dishwasher?  Ive never heard of that.  

jetster

• Bublin Jetsetter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 01:03:55 am »
Throw em in the dishwasher once a month. ;D ::)

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 08:54:19 am »
I do the dishwasher routine once a month and run it once, then turn the filters and run it again.  My filters are like new after they come out.

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said that you don't want to add any soap to the dishwasher, right?

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 11:54:36 am »
Froggy,
   What year is your Maxxus? You cant clean a MicroClean Filter just replace them.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 05:53:01 pm »
All those people that put their filters in the dishwasher.... [size=10]GROSS!![/size] :P

One day I'm going to list some of the "goodies" that are found in ALL filters. To think that your dinner plates go in there too is BLAKKKKK! :P ;D

Invite for supper? Uhhhh, no thanks! ;)

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2005, 05:53:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42