What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: She's in and running! (first month's impressions)  (Read 4372 times)

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
She's in and running! (first month's impressions)
« on: October 07, 2005, 01:47:16 pm »
Our Beachcomber 730 was delivered a few weeks back!  I've included a few shots of the initial install as well as an "empty" running photo and my VERY custom-cut thermal blanket.

The delivery and install went flawless.  The guys had a big-dollar spa-trailer as well as a large-tired dolly to move it.  We did have to take it off the dolly at one point and slide it down the side of the house to the final spot, but some large moving blankets combined with a well-wrapped tub avoided any damage issues.  My wiring hook up went flawless (thanks to all you guys with the wiring, GFCI, and breaker box advice)!  Rich, the owner of OC Spas & BBQs, stayed until close to 8:00, filling the tub, hooking up all the fittings, checking for leaks, installing the cover lifter, setting the digital controller, etc.  He was great!

After a few weeks, we have had ZERO issues (except for a secondary controller that doesn't work-Rich will be out today to check his wiring hook up and/or replace the controller).  Water maintanence has been pretty simple, although I will probably drain and re-fill next weekend just to follow this site's "one month" rule of thumb.

My (our) thoughts on the tub overall over the first few weeks:

-The large "Pro Tec" step is great for entry/exit, as are the cool-down seat and textured steps.  The kids pretty much forego this and usually just slide in over the side like a gator into a swamp, but I think this will be a nice feature as we continue to "mature".

-Pump #1 controls essentially the aft middle and aft right-hand seats (as well as the two "upshoot" jets positioned between the seats along the step side); pump #2 controls the remaining five seats.  Turning both pumps on sends power to the whole tub; however, in order to activate the four powerful foot jets in the well, you must divert some (or all) of the flow from pump #2.  You can find a happy medium, but I have found it better to have full flow to the seats, then switch completely over to the foot jets for alternate therapy.  Of note, Beachcomber suggests that you either have pump #2 off or on low prior to diverting flow to avoid breaking the valve, a minor annoyance.

-The low settings on the pumps are great for either "cooling down" or quieter times when socializing.

-The air flow valves really blast, and provide for great massage.  I really like the quantity of larger jets in the tub.  We can switch them between ports if we want, and have traded a couple in for "alternate" types that we found we liked better.  In fact, if I shut a few seats down all together, I can even blast my 6'3" frame out of the seats with the power!

-At 38", this is a deep tub, maybe too deep for some (although my family is all going to be near or over the 6 foot range, and water levels can mitigate some of that issue).  My featherweight daughter and thin son float out of the deeper seats, as does my wife; however, there are several seats that fit them fine.  Numerous times, I have used this to my advantage as I "assist" my wife from floating out using my own frame as leverage.... ;)  

-After using the tub almost daily since its arrival, we are truly elated about our purchase.  Like we all seem to say, I can't believe we waited this long to take the plunge.  We feel more relaxed in the evening, sleep better, have had a little more social AND romantic time together, and even have our kids (12 and 14) ask US to come in with them!  Without it, we would have never seen a recent rocket launch from Vandenburg light up the sky, leaving a multi-hued ribbon and actually disappear into space in front of it's conical trail!  Absolutely stunning, and probably a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we all got to enjoy.

-Thanks again to all who helped here (Mendo, Stl, East Tx, Brewman, Chas, Drewstar, and all the others I forgot to mention).  We're truly in hot tub heaven!  I'll stay tuned for info as well as any questions or issues I have. ;D ;D

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

She's in and running! (first month's impressions)
« on: October 07, 2005, 01:47:16 pm »

dalop

• If its not the Boat Its the Tub!
Re: She's in and running! (first month's impressio
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 02:00:59 pm »
Looks great!! they did a good job. Good luck enjoy the many more stary nights ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 02:08:59 pm »
I was going to ask what do you do with the thermal blanket in the winter (will it ice up when it's off the tub?), but then I saw the palm trees in the background and realized....never mind.

Obviolsuy you are in a warm climate, why the thermal blanket?

The tub looks great too. Congrats and enjoy!  ;D
07 Caldera Geneva

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 02:15:38 pm »
Drewstar,

Less than a mile from the sand in Huntington Beach, so.....as you figured, no ice issues there. :D   Just figured, as a benefit, it might help a little on heating costs as well as a little heat, moisture, and chemical wear and tear on the cover.

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 03:17:36 pm »
Beautiful
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 04:01:00 pm »
Glad to hear a good delivery story once in awhile too!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

vlady

• 05 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 04:38:23 pm »
Looks great - congratulations!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 04:48:46 pm »
Very Nice! Enjoy!!

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 09:48:34 am »
That hot, clean, bubbly water looks very inviting!!

Enjoy!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 10:45:21 am »
That hot, clean, bubbly water looks very inviting!!

Enjoy!!!

Where the hell have you been?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Lori

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 06:25:48 pm »
Sorry!  I have been rubbing in a certain win to a few people around here!  LOL!!!  I'm giving them a lot more hell than I gave you, in fact!  #100 was ours!!  

Ok, fun over, actually I only get a few minutes during the week and having to skim some of the posts on the weekends!  But, the new job is going really well, have been released to answer the phone, so now the real education begins!   :P

I pop in now and then.  Been better about reading the boards than checking my mail!   ::)  Besides, it is starting to feel like fall, which means winter is not far off, and I'm trying to enjoy the nice weather while we have it!!!

How's your new job?  Ok, hijack over!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 10:09:11 am »
Hey Leaky,

Congratulations. Enjoy your new 'year 'round vacation at home.' May you soak long and prosper. Nice photos, nice looking tub.

Hey Lori,

Long time no read.  ;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Lori

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2005, 10:17:35 am »

Hey Lori,

Long time no read.  ;)

Same to you, stranger!!  
;) :-*

leesweet

• '05 SD Maxxus
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 11:12:10 am »
Water maintanence has been pretty simple, although I will probably drain and re-fill next weekend just to follow this site's "one month" rule of thumb.

Sounds like things are going great, congrats!

But I was confused by the line above.  Where/when do people here say 'drain every month'?!  Or did you mean after the first month only, and then three months?

If so, folks, why is the first month special?  Because the average user (not many here... :) ) messes up the chems  so bad, it's better to start over?   [But I have been there/done that on a previous spa...]
--
Lee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2005, 11:12:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42