What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical Question  (Read 7969 times)

Neohcouple

Chemical Question
« on: October 10, 2005, 07:05:49 pm »
I have a new 400 gallon HS Vanguard tub.  I have the HS Freshwater Ozonator.   I use chlorine on a regular basis (several times a week) & shock it once a week.

I'm kind of in a routine to shock the tub every Sunday along with my normal weekly chemcials (stain/scale, clarifier, etc).

Should I add chlorine before adding the shock or vice-versa?  

Does it matter what order I put the chemicals in?  

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical Question
« on: October 10, 2005, 07:05:49 pm »

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
Re: Chemical Question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:29:31 pm »
When you are shocking the water you shouldnt have to used your normal dose and the shock. If you are using a chlorine shock than it's pretty much the same thing as your maintenance chlorine with some possible addatives. The order of which you put the chemicals in should not make a difference unless you are adjusting the ph which should be done before adding the others. I would not reccomend using the clarifier unless you need it. Depending on the clarifier you are using it should hurt to put it in if you dont need it but there is no need to waste chemicals.

Ehizzle

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:31:25 pm »
Depending on the clarifier you are using it should hurt to put it
It should not hurt is what I meant

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 07:43:10 pm »
Ehizzle,
You said it doesn't make any difference in the order you put the chemicals in unless you are adjusting the pH.  If you are going to adjust the pH, how much longer after you add the pH adjuster should you wait to add the bronine or chlorine?  
Connie

Ehizzle

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:10:00 pm »
I would put the appropriate amount of Ph increaser or decreaser circulate for 15-20 minutes. Retest the Ph and if its is where you need it go ahead. If not repeat the process. The chlorine will be more effective at the right ph range that is why it's better to do it first.

Neohcouple

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 08:26:53 pm »
When you are shocking the water you shouldnt have to used your normal dose and the shock. If you are using a chlorine shock than it's pretty much the same thing as your maintenance chlorine with some possible addatives.

I use a non-chlorine shock that I purchase from my local HS dealer.  The product is Rendezvous Activate.  The active ingredient listed on the bottle is Potassium peroxymonsulfate 32.8%.  

The exact product that I use is:

http:// http://www.glbpoolspa.com/TechDataInfo.asp?authID=784993516&ProductID=139
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 08:33:22 pm by Neohcouple »

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 08:27:39 pm »
Neohcouple, one thing that wasn't clear in your post is what you are using for a shock.  If you are using a "non-chlorine" shock (MPS) it will get rid of converted or used up chlorine known as chloramines, as would a shock dose of chlorine.  The only catch is that MPS will not raise or help maintain sanitizer (chlorine) level, so if you use non-chlorine shock, you should still test the free chlorine available and dose as required to maintain the correct level.

Steve

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 08:31:41 pm »
Neohcouple, please disregard the first sentence above as it was referring to your 1st post while you were typing out your second!! ;D  The rest of the message still applies...

Neohcouple

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 08:36:43 pm »
ssbraun:  

Does the order of adding chemicals make any difference?

Add them all at once or add them one at a time?

Thanks
neohcouple

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 09:11:43 pm »
Dear Ehizzle,
Thanks!!  I didn't realize the pH adjuster would work that fast.  I always wondered why it wouldn't.  My dealer told me to add all the products at once, run the jets full for 30 minutes and no to retest for 3 to 4 days.
Connie

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 09:25:35 pm »
ssbraun:  

Does the order of adding chemicals make any difference?

Add them all at once or add them one at a time?

Thanks
neohcouple

I agree with an earlier reply to take care of PH first, although if total alkalinity is not correct, it should be adjusted before PH.  My PH adjustment chems say to wait 2 hours before retest, not 15 minutes, although I have seen many people say 15 minutes is ok...be aware that running jets or blowers can give "false" PH indications, so if your PH is out of range, I would add the dose of PH up or down as required, wait 15 minutes, add your non-chlorine shock following manufacturer instructions, wait 15 minutes, add chlorine if testing showed it was necessary, and retest PH several hours later.  Just another opinion...you'll have to sort through lots of those and determine what makes sense to you ;) ;D

Steve

Ehizzle

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 12:08:33 pm »
Constance,
Your dealer should be telling you to test daily or every other on a chlorine system. Which would conflict with not checking it for 3 or 4 days. In that amount of time your ph could be way off.

SSbraun,
I agree with what you said about the alkalinity. If that is of it will be hard to keep your ph correct. However, if your Ph is over 8.0 and you need to raise the alkalinity I would lower the ph first to avoid calcium fallout as adding alkalinity increaser will also raise the ph.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 05:33:02 pm »
Ehizzle: thanks for the coments!  I'm fairly new to this, and have been spending a lot of time researching...Interesting fact:  Arm and Hammer website indicates that baking soda will balance PH towards neutral whether it is acidic or basic, so my take on this was that it will raise ph (slowly) if it is low; but will also lower it if it is high along with the added benefit of acting as a "buffer" to even out PH fluctuation. (This was stated with reference to use in pools)

Check it out, if you like, at: http://www.armandhammer.com/basics/magic/index.asp#2

Cheers!

Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 04:21:50 pm »
Baking soda is slightly basic and has a pH of about 8.0.  The more you add to your water the closer it will move the pH towards the 8.0.  If you have extremely alkaline water (above 8.0), adding baking soda will bring the pH down, but not below 8.0.  For a spa or pool, you want your pH to be between 7.2 and 7.8.  Baking soda will not bring it down to that level, only up to that level.

Constance

• I love my Bahia
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 11:26:21 pm »
Dear Ehizzle,

I use Bromine with my tub.  There is a slot by the filter.  I'm to keep about 4-5 tabs in the slot and am to check it weekly.  I give it a shock weekly.  They told me to test it weekly.  I use SpaGuard products.  I rarely need to adjust the pH or TA.  I just add Scale & Scale Control and Bromine shock weekly with a few tabs of the Bromine.
I was very interested in what you said about adding chemicals as the rep told me not to drive myself crazy checking it, but to wait 4 days or so to allow the chemicals to work.  I do appreciate what you have said and will try it.  Thanks!!
Connie

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 11:26:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42