What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tried the dryer sheet thing...  (Read 11937 times)

Catfish

Tried the dryer sheet thing...
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:27:03 am »
And it was truly amazing to watch the foam disappear..but it came back in 15 minutes and my husband can't stand the smell of 'em(they make the whole tub smell like snuggle) We literally get 8-10" of foam
if even one person comes in with a different suit. It's happened different times. Also the night after we used the sheet the water was cloudy but I'm not sure if that was the reason.

Isn't there a product that is anti-foam? Meaning it stops the foam from forming in the first place not just makes it go away temporarily once it appears?

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

Tried the dryer sheet thing...
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:27:03 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Tried the dryer sheet thing...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 11:08:54 am »
I'm not aware of any foam prevention, other than keeping detergenty swimwear out of the spa.  For the few times we did have foam appear, we used some type of foam disperser and it quickly disappeared.  We've only had to add this product a couple times in the last couple years.  
I think some people mixed the foam dispersier with water in one of those spray bottles, and just spray on enough to knock down the suds.  That way you use as little as possible to do the job.  
Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:39:05 am »
I also find it a useful anaology to compare a defoamer to an ant-acid.

Defoamer deals with the symptom not the cause.

If I have constant heart burn, taking an ant-acid helps me deal with the symptom. I made need a perscription or change my lifestyle to prevent the symptom from re-occurring.

Foaming is caused by:
1)detergents/soaps (from suits, hair, body) body oils,  deoderant, moisterizers, suntanning lotions, self tanning lotions (results in yellow, orange or brown foam), cosmetics. You stop this by minimizing the amount of these things that get in your water.
2)water balance - you can adjust this easily
3)dirty filters - clean/rinse regularly
4)inadequate filtration - increase your filter cycles
5)TDS - as the water gets older it foams more

So while a dryer sheet may deal with the symptom, it will not cure consistent foaming
« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 04:12:36 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:58:11 am »
Will a scum-bug help or is that like a glorified dryer sheet?

Catfish

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 11:58:59 am »
We've only had the tub a month. I'm surprised it's happening because except for one time, it's only been the two of us in the tub mostly wearing the same suits or umm not. I don't think we're especially dirty either, imho..

We just cleaned our filters so maybe it's one of the other things you mentioned. Does anyone notice more foam directly after filter cleaning? That's what happened last night.

Thanks for your responses!

amat1950

• Happy Soaker- Tiger River Siberian
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 01:01:02 pm »
Tuesday night my son and daughter-in-law used the tub with us. My son had regular shorts on(Washed in soap I am sure) and my daughter-in-law wears tons of makeup and lotion. I told them both to shower first. Well last night I got in and low and behold foam. I used a dryer sheet and it knocked them right down. The smell was okay to me. This morning all tests were good and the water was clear. I will let you know what happens tonight.

leisure

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 01:05:26 pm »
YES there is one product that will help prevent foam by Natural Chemistry, Its called Spa Perfect. It eleiminates waterline build up clogged filters, chemical oders and excessive foaming by breaking down the oils in the water, like the all natural stuff they put in the ocean when they have a spill. I use it and recomend it to all my customers. Its works for US...

amat1950

• Happy Soaker- Tiger River Siberian
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 02:26:55 pm »
Do most dealers carry it or is there a website to purchase the Spa Perfect?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 02:31:01 pm »
I bought a bottle at a spa dealer, as a futile attempt to get Baqua Spa (yeccccchhh) working for us, at the recommendation of the person selling the Bauqa and the Spa Perfect.  If I recall, regular use of that stuff is pretty spendy.  

Brewman

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 04:05:46 pm »
Do most dealers carry it or is there a website to purchase the Spa Perfect?

Most dealers carry SpaPerfect or an equivilent product. If you want this type of product ask for an enzyme product. Some other names I have seen it go by:
Refresh
Purezyme

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 04:07:59 pm »
We just cleaned our filters so maybe it's one of the other things you mentioned. Does anyone notice more foam directly after filter cleaning? That's what happened last night.

ABSOLUTELY. It is imparative to thoroughly rinse. I mean thorough. If you have 2 filters (I would recommend rotating) soak the filter in a cleaning solution. Rinse. Soak the filter again in clean water. Rinse. Let it dry.

nicker

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 04:10:28 pm »
Yes I have some of the foam disperser and I do as brewman says. I mix it with water at the ratio of about 1 to 10, 1 part being the foam way stuff.  But it only gets the form that is present and eventually the foam will come back.   Also one thing to keep in mind is I was told the foam away stuff will raise your TDS.  So you have to be watchful of that.  The best is to find out what is causing the foam in the 1st place.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 06:20:52 pm »
We have found that by using Spa Perfect or Sea Klear while being different products both do an excellent job of allowing you  to rinse your filters with a high pressure nozzle, we suggest every 2 to 3 weeks as on our spas it is a very simple thing to do....( not suggesting others are not ... ;)...).....the filters rinse amazingly clean and allows you to cut over night soaking down to every 6 months .....

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 01:21:27 am »
I was looking at the Sea Klear 4-1 Clarifier product.  What does it do? Is it a Clarifier and Enzyme product all in one?

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 11:21:49 am »
The best thing I have found to get rid of foam is to get it out of your tub.  I dont get it often but when I do this is how I get rid of it.  I use(as recommended here) a pool skimmer.  If there is a lot of foam it may take 20 -25 minutes of skimming but it will get it out.  There are two corners of my spa where the foam builds up so I will skim one corner then walk to the other corner and skim and by this time the foam has built back up in the first corner. I go back and forth just skimming the top layer of foam off the water.  It can be a pain but it will get the foam out if it is caused by soap residue.  If your TDS is too high which may cause foaming, then this method obviously will not work.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 11:21:49 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42