What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: SunPurity - decreased chemical use?  (Read 4832 times)

Debra

SunPurity - decreased chemical use?
« on: October 11, 2005, 08:28:06 am »
We started using our new Sundance Optima last Friday and we love it!  But, we are having some trouble trying to figure out how much chemicals to use.  The salesman had told us before we bought it that we won't need to test the water or use chlorine because we have the SunPurity Mineral Spa Purifier.  The installers told us to use 1/2 cap of the Lithium chlorine for every 2 people per 1/2 hour.  So, with 9 people on Friday, 8 on Saturday and at least 12 on Sunday - that adds up to alot of Chlorine!  Also, our Ph was very high, we've been trying to get it down since Friday - again, using lots of chemicals.  This SunPurity thing is supposed to lessen the need for chemicals?  Can anyone give me some tips on how they regulate their spas' chemicals?

Hot Tub Forum

SunPurity - decreased chemical use?
« on: October 11, 2005, 08:28:06 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: SunPurity - decreased chemical use?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 08:32:12 am »
Don't know about Sun Purity, but getting your Ph and alkalinity into balance is important.  The alkalinity of our water is very high- but the Ph is pretty close to right on.  So we have to add a lot of Ph decrease to lower the alk to an acceptable range.  Once it's in range the Ph and alkalinity tend to drift downward over time slowly.  I think it's because of the Bromine or MPS shock.
So we occasionally use either Ph increase or bakinking soda to bump the Ph and alk back up, depending on what the reading are.  I have to adjust maybe twice per month or so.

You should test your water at least to check your Ph and alk levels, and adjust to keep in range.  Not sure what other tests you'd need to do for your spa for sanitizer level, etc...  Maybe someone using your system can comment, or perhaps one of the Sundance dealers.
It's pretty easy to over manage your water until you get into a groove.  So don't worry too much.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 08:36:34 am by Brewman »
Brewman

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 08:49:27 am »
We filled yesterday.  My water started at pH 8.4 on the stick.  Our water is high pH, low alkalinity.  Two capfuls of Water Balance (alkalinity up) got the alkalinity acceptable and then 2 capfuls pH down to start.  It took three more capfuls of pH down to get us around 7.4 - 7.6.  (If I recall, a capful is an ounce)

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:22:11 pm »
Stl-rex,
If your ph is that high I would suggest lowering it before raising the alkalinity. Raising the alkalinity also raises the ph, which at high levels can cause calcium fallout and then you have a different problem.

Also Debra here is a tip if your alkalinity is high. Instead of just adding tons of ph decreaser.
Disolve an ounce to an ounce and a half of ph decreaser in a mason jar or plastic bottle. With the jets off, pour this solution into the center of the tub slowly. Wait 3-5 minutes and then turn the jet pumps on for 20 minutes. This will lower your alkalinity alot faster than just dumping it in and you wont go through as much product.

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 12:37:23 pm »
Stl-rex,
If your ph is that high I would suggest lowering it before raising the alkalinity. Raising the alkalinity also raises the ph, which at high levels can cause calcium fallout and then you have a different problem.

Thanks for the tip.  We actually started with the demineralizer (Best Defence in Arctic Terms).  The guys then basically did a quick test and added the alkalinity and pH drop in succession.  Water was slightly cloudy for a while, but it was clear before we used it that night.  I checked it again and added more pH drop.  I'll remember the next time we have to fill it to drop the pH a bit knowing we have high pH.  I want my water near ideal as much as possible.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 03:52:39 pm »
The SunPurity is a Nature2 cartridge made to fit in the little compartment in the filter weir gate on Sundance Spas.  The lithium you are using is 35% chlorine with a pH of 8.0.  Though acceptable in a spa, a better choice is dichlor which is 60% chlorine and a pH of 7.0.  With lithium you will use more product and it will raise the pH of your water.  Are you by chance in Canada?

A simple SunPurity routine is to add one half tsp dichlor per person after soaking with a one tsp minimum.  The key is to get the free chlorine level to two plus ppm.  It will then decrease to near zero in a few hours.  Shock once per week with either non chlorine shock or a shock dose of dichlor (or a combination of both).  Keep your pH between 7.2 and 7.8.

A search for Nature2 will yield lots of information.  Any information that applies to N2 will apply to SunPurity.  I do not recommend the no chlorine approach that the sales person suggested, nor would I not test the water.  

Debra

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 05:37:01 pm »
Thanks for your help.  Yes, we are in Canada.  How is that different from US?  
We finally got our ph down - took about 1/2 a bottle of ph reducer.  Now, to battle the foam.  I'm afraid we are damaging that expensive filter and may have to change it earlier than hoped.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:11:37 am »
Dichlor seems to be a little less common in Canada, so lithium hypochloride, the only other acceptable chlorine for spas, is used in its place.  Dichlor can be found if you search or order from rhtubs.com and they will ship to Canada.  Your filter should be fine.  I would rinse it thoroughly at least monthly.  With a new spa, you've got lots of use so the chemistry is a little more difficult.  You, like everyone else, sill settle down, go through a learning curve and be just fine.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:11:37 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42