What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ring around the tub  (Read 19174 times)

Froggy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ring around the tub
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:15 am »
This is all new to me, What works best to clean the brown line that forms around the water line. Thanks

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

Ring around the tub
« on: October 10, 2005, 10:34:15 am »

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
Re: Ring around the tub
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 11:04:53 am »
get a Sundance with the $100.00 filter

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 11:10:27 am »
The brown line is common with new spas, you will have to drain & fill in about 4 weeks. In the mean time just wipe the scum line off with a clean damp cloth. It is just residue from the manufacturing process.

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:54:28 am »
Are you using Baquaspa products?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 12:31:16 pm »
Try an enzyme product ... they really work well!

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 12:48:44 pm »
No matter which chemical system you are using, the Baquaspa surface cleaner works amazingly to get that off.  It does not conflict with your using chlorine.

fletch49

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 12:51:53 pm »
Has anyone tried one of those Mr. Clean magic pads?

Those things work really well on just about anything around the house.

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 01:03:15 pm »
The brown line is common with new spas, you will have to drain & fill in about 4 weeks. In the mean time just wipe the scum line off with a clean damp cloth. It is just residue from the manufacturing process.

I didn't have a brown line with my new spa - and I didn't drain and refill after 4 weeks.  Not sure why you would even suggest that!!!  :)   Maybe it's necessary for some people who over-manage their water when new, but I don't think it applies to everyone.  My water is 3 months old now and it's still as crystal clear as it was on day one.  And I don't add anything but Dichlor and pH increaser (infrequently).  Seems like my Microclean II filter is doing a great job at keeping my water sparkling clean with very little effort on my part!!!   ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 06:29:25 pm »
Someone here gave the tip to use baking soda, it does work well to remove the grunge.

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 08:29:17 pm »
My scum lines are directly proportional to my 19-year-old daughter's use of the spa. All that makeup, lotions, etc.

I can go weeks without any scum lines, and then they will suddenly appear the morning after she uses the tub. When I tell her to wash off all that stuff first, she's offended! Guess nobody wants to be called "scummy". ;D

Other than that, I have had no scum problem since the first few months of use, even after stopping the use of enzyme additive. Maybe there is something to that "residue from the manufacturing process" thing.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 09:11:09 pm »
get a Sundance with the $100.00 filter

Hmmm. Sounds a little bitter jsimo7 ;) ...let it go!
(Actually, I believe he already has one anyway!!)

Froggy, The scum line is not necessarily caused by the manufacturing process (my Maxxus has never had one), body oils etc. are also causes.  There are floating products to help absorb these oils such as Scumbug that may help you.  I'm sure the aformentioned cleaning products will work to get rid of the ring you already have.  Good luck!

Steve

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 10:09:28 pm »
Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

Someone here recommended it, I tried it, it worked excellent.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 10:10:40 pm »

Hmmm. Sounds a little bitter jsimo7 ;) ...let it go!
(Actually, I believe he already has one anyway!!)

Froggy, The scum line is not necessarily caused by the manufacturing process (my Maxxus has never had one), body oils etc. are also causes.  There are floating products to help absorb these oils such as Scumbug that may help you.  I'm sure the aformentioned cleaning products will work to get rid of the ring you already have.  Good luck!

Steve

Not bitter at all just teasing from another post that said the sundance filter would help reduce the scum lines ;D ;D

spazman

• Soaking in my "modified" '98 Sundance Corum!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 12:32:15 am »
More than likely it's just oils building up in the water. Try using "Spa Perfect" it's an enzyme based product that digests oils. Do not use it after a strong shocking as it will kill the enzymes.  

Debra

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:08:28 am »
We had this scum line build up in our Sundance Optima the first day we used it.   I spent the first few soaks wiping it down with a soft cloth which worked quite well.  The scum hasn't built up again.  It took us awhile to get our PH down and now we have lots of foam.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:08:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42