What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Did You Know.....  (Read 4443 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Did You Know.....
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:31:19 am »
Sundance has won the John Holcomb Silver Award for technical innovations in the spa industry each of the last 3 years for it's jets....

CalSpas is the only spa that is UL listed, everyone else lost theirs....

Caldera Spas have the exact same pump, heater, controls, and jets as HotSpring....

If you ever see a spa that is over 20 years old and still running, it is a CalSpa....

Sundance actually wrote the UL standards for the spa industry....

HotSpring didn't like the UL standards so they created their own listing....

Jacuzzi is a Toyota while Sundance is a Lexus....

HotSpring has been bought out and will not be around much longer....

Aries Spas are the same as HotSpring, they just cost $2,000 less....

CalSpa is the only spa company that makes the shell the right way....

CalSpa is the only spa company that has a lounge that won't make you float....

CalSpa has a lifetime warranty on it's heater....

HotSpring Spa jets make you feel like you've been laying on hot asphalt....

Aries has sold thousands of spas in Longview, TX and are here every week making service calls....

Hydropool's bottom filtering system only works when there is water in the spa ;D (more on this later)!

I learned all of these things I never knew on Thursday, October 6, 2005 at the State Fair of Texas in Dallas.

As some of you may know, I took the day off and drove 2 hours to Dallas with my daughter and my Mom and Dad.  A cold front came through and the temp was in the low 60's.  It was overcast, so I didn't have to worry about getting my bald head sunburned.  We got to the fair at about 10:30.

After getting the mandatory corn dog, we went and looked at the auto show.  These guys were set-up outside.

Chrysler had the sharpest looking car in the whole show.  We never could find a salesperson.  If we had, Mom would have probably bought one on the spot.

The Jeep Rescue is my dream car.  I'm working hard on convincing my boss that I need one of these for a company car if they ever go into production.

Pontiac had a sharp little coupe.  When the salesperson asked my Dad if he could help him, Dad replied "Yeah, put dual exhausts on it!"

After the car exhibits, Mom and Dad took Savanna and went to Kiddy Land.  I went to the place best described as "Spa Wonderland".

These were my parameters:

I would not speak first except to say "Hello" or "Nice hot tubbing weather".

I would not tell anyone I was spa shopping.  "I'm just looking".

If a paying customer approached, I would excuse myself (These guys weren't going to make any money off of me and I know they are trying to make a living)

I would play ignorant except to say "I've done a lot of research on the internet.  I understand that Jacuzzi, Sundance, HotSpring, Marquis, D-1, and Phoenix Premium are the best spas on the market.  What do you think?"

If they got to the point where they were trying to close me, I would thank them for their time but that I'm not in the market yet, just gathering information.

I wouldn't take pictures.

Here We Go!

Entered the exhibit hall.  On the left was the Aries Spa (local factory direct manufacturer).  Far and away the best looking booth at the fair.  They had gazebos, shogi huts, enclosures, surrounds around every spa.  They had framed, itemized pricing on each spa.  They had customer testimonials framed and placed on many spas.  They had carpet in their booth.  Everything was impressive, except the spas. UGGHH :P!

I walked through, stopped at every spa, played with the jets, lingered.  Out of the 4 people in their booth, no one approached me, they were talking on cell phones or watching TV.  I left.

Next up, Sundance.  They had a tiny booth with 3 spas.  I was looking at the Maxxus when the factory rep approached.  He didn't stop talking for the next 15 minutes.  It went something like this (abbreviated):

"You're an athlete aren't you?  (Pump me up) HotSpring, Jacuzzi, and Sundance are the only ones worth owning.  Jacuzzi is a Toyota, SD is a Lexus.  Sundance has won John Holcomb Award blah blah blah each of the last 3 years for jets.  Lactic acid buildup blah blah, nitrogen in surface of skin blah blah.  Do you own guns? (Who, ME?  ;D ;D ;D)  Look at the rifling on this jet.  HotSpring uses 50% air 50% water mixture, SD uses 70-30% blah blah.  HotSpring makes your back feel like you've been laying on hot asphalt.  Our filtration blah blah, buy a new filter once a year for $100 blah blah.  Blah blah blah!

He was what I would call "polished".  WAAAYYYY to technically driven in presentation.  See, I like talking about this sort of thing, but he had me wanting to slit my wrists!  I guess his approach was to overwhelm me with info and when I was too weak to go on, take my money from me.  Thankfully, my cell phone rang and I had to go.

To be continued in Part 2 so ya'lls heads don't explode.  It gets better as we go! ;D

Terminator
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 12:45:19 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Did You Know.....
« on: October 07, 2005, 10:31:19 am »

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Until I read the whole post, Re: Did You Know.....
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 10:46:58 am »
Until I read further, I was beginning to think HS really ticked you off and you were now a Cal Spa dealer.

TrikkeAddict

• 2005 Sundance Cameo
Re: Did You Know.....
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 11:27:44 am »
Fun read, so far!!!!

salesdvl

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 12:39:12 pm »
When I was at the NY State Fair we had someone go shop the comp.  They had the same report back from the Sundance booth. WAY WAY too technical.

Qucik review of the others:

D-One booth looked awesome. Very profeesional presentation.

MasterSpa: located way off the beaten path. Slammed eveyone.  Second in the bashing only to:

Coast.  Bashing winner.  Good looking booth. Piles of spas stacked around.

Hot Spring booth.  Narrow and deep booth blocked by gazebos in front.  When shopped the pitch was for Vita ( the other brand the dealer brought)

Lastly: Jacuzzi Prem: Appathetic sales people didnt approach.
Measure once, cut twice.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 12:50:58 pm »
I know this might be a little of topic, but here is what I experienced when looking a SPA’s in my area.

D1/Caldera/Artisian (Same Dealer) – Never bad mouthed another manufacturer, just went on about how his spas worked.  When asked about another Spa said something like “That would be a good choice also”. Nice experience.

Hot Spring/Tiger River/Sundance (Same Dealer) - Never bad mouthed another manufacturer, just went on about how his spas worked.  When asked about another Spa said something like “That would be a good choice also”. Nice experience.

Beachcomber - Never bad mouthed another manufacturer, just went on about how his spas worked.  When asked about another Spa said something like “That would be a good choice also”. Nice experience.

Coleman - Never bad mouthed another manufacturer, just went on about how his spas worked.  When asked about another Spa said something like “That would be a good choice also”. Nice experience, but very vague on price.

Baja Spas – Crazy sales pitch.  Bad mouthed other Spas and tired to compare their Spa to others and so how they were better.

LA Spas – Bad mouthed other Spas and tired to compare their Spa to others and so how they were better.

CAL Spas – Bad mouthed other Spas and tired to compare their Spa to others and so how they were better.

I have never shopped for a product in my life where I felt more pressured or disgusted with some of the sales men.  This even includes used cars.  It was truly an eye opening experience.  After purchasing my Spa, I talked to my dealer about it and he said he hears this from a lot of potential buyers.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2005, 01:45:15 pm by marks »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 01:18:08 pm »
Are the representatives at these spa shows local dealers renting space and selling, or are they factory people just getting the brand recognized?  
Or maybe it's a combo of both?

Brewman

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 01:20:28 pm »
Are the representatives at these spa shows local dealers renting space and selling, or are they factory people just getting the brand recognized?  
 Or maybe it's a combo of both?

Every person I asked said that they were factory reps.

Terminator

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 12:51:11 pm »
Terminator.... Welcome to the world of spa shopping, now you understand why our customers are confused, there is so much b.s out there being spead by ignorant or  genuinely misleading sales staff. I am sometimes embarassed by my own profession.

fletch49

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 12:24:36 pm »

That's a DaimlerChrysler Firepower concept car.

It's more Mercedes than Chrysler.  For a really cool car google Chrysler ME Four Twelve (I'd post pictures, but then I'd have to take the time and figure out how to do it).

THey were going to make this a production vehicle but the folks in Stuttgart got a bit upset when it blew the doors off their prized McLaren SLR, and canned the vehicle.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 01:58:36 pm »
Terminator.... Welcome to the world of spa shopping, now you understand why our customers are confused, there is so much b.s out there being spead by ignorant or  genuinely misleading sales staff. I am sometimes embarassed by my own profession.

Ain't it the truth!  Honestly, this is the first time I have ever "shopped" for spas.  It was so hard to keep a straight face during some of the sales pitches.  I can only imagine what it is like for someone just trying to learn about spas.

I did leave with the fair with a great deal of pride in what I do.  I can truly say that I am proud of how I treat people when they come into my store.  I don't believe anyone has ever left my store feeling "beaten up."  Yeah, not every presentation goes the way I would like and I realize everyone I talk to is not going to like me or my product, that's life.  But, I don't believe people feel manipulated or lied to when they deal with me.  I only try to sell products the way I would like people to sell to me.  Most of the time, it works out great for all involved.  I can live with that.

Terminator

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 02:44:04 pm »
You know my co-worker always says she thinks everyone should have to work on commission just once so they understand things like...why we want your name if we've just spent an hour with you, why it's important (IF... I've done a good job and you like me and the product I'm selling), that you deal with me the next time you come in and not the other salepeople in the store, ect. ect.

After reading this very well written, and enlightening report about the other side of the sales pitch, I feel every spa salesperson should shop a state fair. After all thats where the big dogs play, thats where the professional sales teams from the manufacturers are sent, and thats where the hard close sales pitches are used.

It's unfortunate because of the sheer numbers of people attending the state fairs, and that's the impession many have been given of this industry. Yuck! :P

BTW Great post, you're really quite funny.

Spahappy :D

rfraboni

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 02:54:42 pm »
You know my co-worker always says she thinks everyone should have to work on commission just once so they understand things like...why we want your name if we've just spent an hour with you, why it's important (IF... I've done a good job and you like me and the product I'm selling), that you deal with me the next time you come in and not the other salepeople in the store, ect. ect.

Spahappy :D

Truely I understand why you would want the information but from the other side I can tell you that as a consumer I am very leary about giving you that information until I am ready to make a deal.  I will keep the salesperson's card with my research.  

I am not even too concerned about the calls asking me if I have made a decision, I had a different problem with givining that information.

I was asked to leave my contact information after looking at a car one day, the next day I was told to come pickup the car since my credit had been approved and the car was now ready.  I was shocked to say the least, since all they had was my name, and number and were able to pull credit report on me.

I think the last thing I had told the salesperson is that the car is nice but it was priced too high for the condition and age.  Nowhere did I say I would buy the car or authorize them to pull my credit.

Just the other side talking here.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 02:54:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42