What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: We were wet today, now what.  (Read 4460 times)

rfraboni

We were wet today, now what.
« on: October 08, 2005, 08:22:49 pm »
My wife and I went wet testing today and it was a really useful experience.

We tested the Epic and new Destiny from Marquis.  They were nice tubs but not the best fit for us, from my perspective.  

We also tested the new Grandee with the moto massage DX.  This spa really seemed to fit us the best as there was not a single seat in in the whole spa that we couldn't both use.

My question is now as to which dealer to buy from, there are two near by and I like both dealers the one farther away wants a delivery charge, and a trip charge for any repairs.  This is not a deal killer they are a little more expensive, few hundred dollars.  The deposit to order is very reasonable, 500-1000.

The other dealer is closer a little less expensive and not trip or delivery charges.   Their deposit seems to be a bit high at 4k-5k up front.  Which you cannot do with their financing opitions, only balance can be financed.

What are your opinions about the situation?  Thank you for your assistance.

Hot Tub Forum

We were wet today, now what.
« on: October 08, 2005, 08:22:49 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: We were wet today, now what.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 09:11:55 pm »
Go with the dealer you like the best!

If your concerned about the higher deposit required, it really depends on the dealer. I had to put down 50% for my tub. I used a credit card to buy the tub "just in case" something went wrong (such as dealer screwed me). Nothing happened and we were both happy.

If you're looking to finance most of the tub then use a credit card and wait to get another credit card application to transfer the balance - it's usually at a low APR. Just be careful, too much credit can add up really quickly!

Anglia67

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 09:14:41 pm »
 That is a great question. Dealers.....what do you expect as a deposit, is there a difference if you have to order a spa for the customer or if we buy a floor model.

How much further away is the other dealer and what is the trip charge?
I would think a spa under warranty, the dealer shouldnt even require a "trip" charge within the first 6mths of purchase,or longer, its not like you can drive your spa back to to the store and have it diagnosed.

Customer service is #1 in any business.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 09:15:38 pm by Anglia67 »

rfraboni

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 09:30:10 pm »
One dealer is 75 miles away and the other is 25 miles away.

I thought about offering the closer dealer a lower deposit, since I am scared about the what it tomorrow he is bankrupt.  The financing at that dealer is a very good deal compared to most credit cards.

The trip charge is about 30 per trip.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2005, 10:03:57 pm »
nice choice of spa! tough choice on the dealer. I agree with vinny, go with the one you're most comfortable.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 11:36:14 pm »
One dealer is 75 miles away and the other is 25 miles away.

I thought about offering the closer dealer a lower deposit, since I am scared about the what it tomorrow he is bankrupt.  The financing at that dealer is a very good deal compared to most credit cards.

The trip charge is about 30 per trip.

Since financing seems to be the way you want to go and your worried about the dealer going bankrupt ... go to the dealer who requires a lower deposit. You'll get more of the tub financed and IF the dealer goes under before you get the tub, you won't be out too much money.

In the whole sceme of things, $500 over 15 years isn't a lot and the trip charge won't be charged if nothing breaks! We all don't want to use our warranties!!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 11:37:50 pm »
With gas around $3/gallon, I think you'll see more dealers shrink their free trip charge zone.  Maybe you could ask the dealer farther away to waive the trip charge for any repair that you can not repair yourself with a little help over the phone such as leaks, pump flat out not working etc.  I think what burns some dealers is they come out and find you haven't cleaned your filter and it's causing problems.  Then they just spent $50 in gas for basically nothing.  I would think a reasonable dealer could find some accomodating language.  Just a suggestion.  What makes you think the guy at 25 miles away is going out of business soon?

waggie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 04:09:30 am »
I'm not sure what to tell you about which dealer to choose other than to go with your gut feeling.  But, I'm glad to hear you liked the Grandee!   I thought you would and it's nice to know someone else had the same wet test results as my husband and I did.  It's really a very comfortable tub!   We got a call from our salesman today, telling us our tub is in.   My husband is fast and furious trying to get the deck level where the hot tub is to go finished so we can take delivery.  We're thinking we'll be ready in about two weeks.  Best laid plans, anyway.

pruned_hands

• Hot Springs Grandee Lover
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 08:04:32 am »
rfraboni,

I am looking at the grandee myself and wondered if you would share the two price quotes you recieved.  I have one quote on a floor model grandee (the one with the single moto-massage per seat and the quote is $8500 (includes cover, delivery, start up chemicals).

We also have another dealer farther away (60 miles vs. 20 miles) and I am wondering if they would give a comparable deal.  I am hoping the knowledge of your quotes would help me know if I am getting a fair deal or getting taken.

Thanks in advance!

Pruned hands

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 12:14:45 pm »
Go with the dealer you like best, worrying about someone going out of business is like worrying about being run over by a bus tomorrow. It seems to make sense to go with the local dealer, try to negotiate a lower deposit, if he realizes you are a serious buyer, and considering another dealership, I'll bet you a six pack he'll take a smaller deposit. I'll take a hundred bucks to order a spa, if you don't want it I'll give you your deposit back and sell your spa to someone else, no problem.

rfraboni

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 03:35:39 pm »
I have been considering that, I like both dealers for different reasons, I think both are reputable and are  going to be in business for quite some time.

The fear of a dealer going under only started to cross my mind when I started reading the boards.  

I have been considering negotiating the downpayment with the one.  

Thanks for all of the advice and feedback.

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 08:39:03 am »
Most if not all of the 'dealer going under' stories do not involve your major manufacturers.  If you put a deposit on a HS tub and your dealer goes under, I will bet the house that Watkins will take care of you and you would then get your spa from the other dealer.  If the closer spa is cheaper with no trip charges, it is a no brainer to me.  Hopefully you can work out the deposit issue with them.  

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 09:36:22 am »
Is 50% deposit a lot to put down when ordering a tub.  That's what I did without thinking about it.  Just seemed about right.  I had another interesting thing happen.  My tub arrived while I was on vacation and the dealer had to hold it for me for two weeks.  He did not want payment until the tub was delivered; I forced him to take me payment because I did not think he needed to carry me for two weeks.  I guess it is a matter of trust.

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 10:30:00 am »
Your intuition will lead you in the right direction.  Lean toward the spa you like most and then consider the the dealer you feel most comfortable with.

You are facing two very good choices here and I do not believe you can make a bad choice.  As for the future and the "cost" of a trip charge, simply explain you anexiety concerns to the dealer and listen to their response.  A $30 trip charge or even $50 is more of a charge that indicates "can we help you on the phone".  Some people are of the opinion that I bought it from you and you took my money now get out here and fix it, then it turns out to be a dirty filter.

If it is an issue of concern to you and I was interested in your business, I would have no problem writing on the face of the contract a minimal service charge or waive charges for bonifide warranty issues.  Again remember, this is a relationship and the customer base is wide and varied in attitudes.  Basically, we are all nice people trying to cover our backsides.

Deposits will always vary from dealer to dealer.  We will usually take $500 to $1000 which obviously indicates serious intent.  With financing buyers, we may only request a $100 deposit and finance the balance, after all that is the reason many finance over time.  

Again, present your issues's to the dealer and see how they handle it.  Ask if they can accomodate your request, whatever that might be, have one in mind.  This may be an indication as to how helpful and customer friendly they really are.

Again, both products are very good choice, you are now choosing the relationship.  These are the people that you will be relying on in the future and this could give you some additional insight.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2005, 10:30:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42