What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New J-345 Arrived  (Read 5603 times)

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
New J-345 Arrived
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:27:10 pm »
I just had a Jacuzzi J-345 delivered. Sweeeet.

Waiting for the electrician to show up this afternoon.

Thought I would re-open the great debate.

I have the CD ozonator and N2.

Startup instructions from the dealer say:

Add metal protector/Stain & Scale.

Add chlorine.

Add shock. It is not marked on the bottle but I am assuming this is MPS. The kit is mostly Leisure Time products and the bottle is called 'Shock out'.

So I would prefer to keep it simple 'Vermonter Style' using dichlor only. But the instructions say MPS is required for N2 equipped spas.

Anyone want to wade in on what the best start up/maintenance procedures should be?

The tub is 336 gallons if you want to also give me some estimates on the dichlor/mps dosage.

Thanks all, I have learned a lot reading the posts on this forum.

Steve

Hot Tub Forum

New J-345 Arrived
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:27:10 pm »

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
Re: New J-345 Arrived
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 04:01:41 pm »
Interesting.  I have a j335 and was under the impression that Jacuzzi recommends bromine in the tub.  Personally, I prefer bromine as it is less odorous than chlorine and doesn't irritate my skin like chlorine does.

I have the cd ozonator but still maintain a good bromine reading and shock once a week with around 5 oz of MPS shock and my tub is 360 gallons as well.  In fact, the only difference between our tubs is that mine has the lounger.

If you want to keep it simple, the bromine floater works great for me and rarely do I add a bromine boost.  I add an ounce of stain and scale remover once a week, a few capfulls of clarifier every couple weeks, clean my filters once a month and that's about it besides checking the ph and alk.  I was at the pool store yesterday and all my levels are perfect and my filters look new, and the water is sparkling clear.  I don't mess with enzymes, metal removers, or any other things outside my weekly routine.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 04:05:32 pm by orlandoguy »

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 05:48:09 pm »
Interesting.  I have a j335 and was under the impression that Jacuzzi recommends bromine in the tub...

I believe that N2 is incompatible with bromine. I'll be setting up my tub soon and would also like to hear some recomenadtions for setting up a tub with chlorine/NS/Ozinator.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 06:04:47 pm »
Could be.  I think N2 only requires like .05 ppm of chlorine but wasn't aware bromine was not compatible.  I also know that with the ozonator you can run on less chemicals and N2 claims to provide the clearest water possible using minerals to destroy algae and bacteria, so I will watch the resposes here with great interest, and even more interest to the responses from consumers using this system opposed to dealers selling it.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:23:07 pm »
I use Dichlor and N2 only and it is working great for me so far (about a month).  Here is my procedure on a 400 gallon tub.  I do not have and ozonator.

After each use:  1 Teaspoon Dichlor

Saturday: Clean Filter
Saturday night: 1.5 Tablespoon Dichlor

Wednesday: Stain and Scale Inhibitor

Friday: Clarifier

Monthly: Soak Filter in cleaner overnight.  I have 2 filters so I rotate.  

May not need the clarifier weekly.  I tried a system without N2 using about double the Dichlor and my tub got cloudy.

Just to add to the confusion.  I think the Micropure Disposable filter might be interesting.  Theorectically you could eliminate the need for clarifier and not have to deal with cleaning filters.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 06:32:19 pm »
Marks,
Sounds like a decent plan. Personally, I'd skip the scheduled clarifier use and impliment it on an as needed basis (it works IMO but isn't always needed). I'd also skip the micropure fiilter idea. It seems a lot of dealers have went away from that anyway. They clog easily and are an unnecessary added expense IMO.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 06:33:16 pm »
If you are referring to N2 as the mineral purification sticks that go in your filter, than they are not incompatible with bromine.  Also I would be careful of using a bromine floater, that voids most spa manufactures warranties.  I am not familiar with Jacuzzi's, but I would check.

Ehizzle

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 06:37:04 pm »
Plus Micropure is only available on Sundance I believe :-/

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 06:41:33 pm »
Which maufacturer's warranties void with a bromine floater and why?

Ehizzle

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 06:46:32 pm »
Almost all of them. The reason being that the floater can theoretically get stuck up against the shell and chemically burn it.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 07:12:48 pm »
Spatech,

I think you are right on the Clarifier.  What do you think of the Sea Klear stuff?

MicroPure makes a standard size filter for general sale:

http://www.micropure.ca

You can buy it on:

http://www.hottubessentials.com/micropure-disposable-filters.asp

Ehizzle

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 07:31:48 pm »
The only thing with that filter is it only comes in one size.  Alot of the major manufacturers couldnt use it.

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 09:30:23 pm »
Well she's all hooked up.

Decided to go ahead with the MPS and dichlor at least at start up.

Funny thing is my akalinity is testing out at basically 0ppm, while PH seems to be fine at 7.6.

Calcuim hardness is also testing low at 50ppm.

I may have over shot the chlorine a bit, FCl testing at about 5ppm.

Any suggestions of whether I should keep trying to up the alkalinity to the recommended level (80-120ppm)?

Seems like my PH is going to go through the roof if I get the alkalinity up to 80ppm.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Steve

johnnythunders

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 11:50:02 pm »
Stick with the Dichlor and Shock Free and use the Nature2 and you will be good till late Feb.....Its good you Spray off the dirt from your filters every week...Get a extra set of filters so when you do clean them you can put the others in....A little Dichlor when you leave the spa and a little Shock free once every week.and the nature2 can be changed every 3 or 4 months..You should have nooo problems then..JohnnyT

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 08:20:39 pm »
Interesting. �I have a j335 and was under the impression that Jacuzzi recommends bromine in the tub. �Personally, I prefer bromine as it is less odorous than chlorine and doesn't irritate my skin like chlorine does.

I have the cd ozonator but still maintain a good bromine reading and shock once a week with around 5 oz of MPS shock and my tub is 360 gallons as well. �In fact, the only difference between our tubs is that mine has the lounger.

If you want to keep it simple, the bromine floater works great for me and rarely do I add a bromine boost.  I add an ounce of stain and scale remover once a week, a few capfulls of clarifier every couple weeks, clean my filters once a month and that's about it besides checking the ph and alk.  I was at the pool store yesterday and all my levels are perfect and my filters look new, and the water is sparkling clear.  I don't mess with enzymes, metal removers, or any other things outside my weekly routine.

My Jacuzzi dealer also recommended Bromine and although I used it for about 2 months I was not happy with it because it (1) Left a "salty taste" tot he water (not that I was drinking it but it "seemed" salty. I've heard this is due to the bromine salts that stay residual in the tub 100% of the time so it makes sense. #2. Bromine water felt "slimmy" to me and my family. Although water condition levels were correct, the water simply felt to "soft".  Maybe this isn't an issue if you have harder water than we do here. #3. Di-Chlor when used properly has ZERO smell. This is because it is applied AFTER tubbing and that time while you are away from the tub is when it "does it's thing" disinfecting the water. After a few hours, the water is crystal clear and odorless the next day (or wheever you do finally go back in).  If you don't use the tub in a week, go out and add about a capful (or so).  
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 08:20:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42