What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina Pic  (Read 8218 times)

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
Re: Hurricane Katrina Pic
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 08:21:12 am »
This is definitely more flood damage than wind damage.  The wind didnt blow the spa on the roof....the water level lifted it along with the deck onto the roof.  The pallets all lined up are most likely the 'high' water mark or just how high the water became.  Hurricanes pack a two fisted punch with high winds and flooding.  Your house can survive the winds alot easier than it can 20 feet of water rushing through...over...and around it.  No I am not a meteorologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....They didnt have a spa....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 08:21:12 am »

salesdvl

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 08:47:29 am »
 ;D ;D ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 08:52:45 am »
 I saw a newspaper photo of some people on their roof waiting for rescue.  Off to the side was a round Nordic-like tub floating around their back yard.  
Measure once, cut twice.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 09:53:22 am »
First, I'm not so sure that's a piece of deck it's sitting on. The "joist" spacing is inconsistant and looks more like 4x4's

Then there must have been 2 floods because there two rows of pallets.

Lastly, if this was causes by the flood, there should be a very obvious water line on the outside of the spa.

This is definitely more flood damage than wind damage.  The wind didnt blow the spa on the roof....the water level lifted it along with the deck onto the roof.  The pallets all lined up are most likely the 'high' water mark or just how high the water became.  Hurricanes pack a two fisted punch with high winds and flooding.  Your house can survive the winds alot easier than it can 20 feet of water rushing through...over...and around it.  No I am not a meteorologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.....They didnt have a spa....

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

SpaMan

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 10:06:03 am »
I am thinking that it was craned up there. Possibly so they could just burn the house I could not imagine it landing so perfectly on the roof with deck or whatever it is sitting on, Possibly they just needed to get out of the way for clean up! None the less it shows the devistation of the hurricane if you look at the edges of that roof it is a total loss!!!! My heart goes out to these folks!

salesdvl

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 10:22:23 am »
Is there a possibility that the entire pic is a fraud?  Could it be cut & pasted?   just curious.
Measure once, cut twice.

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 10:43:08 am »
If it were flooded, I would think it's very unlikely that the windows would be intact with cutains still hanging in them.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 04:54:20 pm »
Lets look again at the beginning of the original post.

"I had gotten some pictures from a friend who has a friend who's family "

the family of a friend of a friend??? right!

I see not only no evidence in the picture of water damage, but nothing to identify even WHERE this picture was taken. Other that the original poster "TELLING" us where it was taken (and even that isn't really stated), this picture could just as well have come from Australia.

Folks, I believe y'all have been taken by a new urban legend.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2005, 06:38:32 am »
Isn't Photoshop great!

johnvb

• 2005 Optima! (indoors)
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2005, 07:04:48 am »
this picture could just as well have come from Australia.

Folks, I believe y'all have been taken by a new urban legend.

Here's another story along the same lines... a killer croc that has been found in NOLA:

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/weblog/comments/3588/P20/

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2005, 10:57:04 am »
Is there a possibility that the entire pic is a fraud?  Could it be cut & pasted?   just curious.

Hi GUYS!  Miss me?

I'm thinking this picture is REAL.  Here's why. The "decking" you're looking at is common for people who build ON the ground, with no support. It just sits there. So, when the flood comes, it goes up. I'll bet the home owner drained the tub prior to the storm. Even if they didn't, Hey-- the stuff we use for hot tub insulation is the same stuff that gets sprayed into boats. It FLOATS.

Second, if it was pure storm surge that drained quickly, you WON'T see water marks unless you look very closely. Also, all the stuff is in the "valley" of the roof. So, if water approached from the direction the picture was taken, it would have floated and pushed that stuff against the house. The cover would be heavy from being water logged, which is probably why it's still there.

Now, saying all this, I'm sure someone will find out this picture IS fake, BUT, hey, ya can't blame a guy for trying...

Peace and Hot Water...

Drewski

:P
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2005, 11:03:25 am »
Funny thing is all this speculation about hoax and georgiapeach has yet to come back to refute or substantiate. The silence is deafening.
If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 07:54:49 pm »
The first "Odd" thing is that the decking is still UNDER the spa. Almost as if someone "nailed" the spa to the deck.   Although I guess it could be done, I don't see ANY reason anyone might have wanted to have done that so my first question is... "Is there a logical reason for the spa to be nailed permenantly to a deck (I use the term permenant loosly here in light of the final effect). And then #2, If I had been in the mist of the flood, I certainly would have tried to of used the tub as a make-shift boat as it appears to have perfromed fairly well in that roll.  #3. Thank god hurricane's seldom reach this far inland!
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2005, 07:54:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42