What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Ozonator with Silver Ion System??  (Read 5272 times)

clayfiregrrl

Need Ozonator with Silver Ion System??
« on: October 03, 2005, 12:12:19 am »
Hello, this is my first post...we have been researching hot tubs for some time now and finally narrowed it down to the HS Vanguard and the HS/TR Caspian (both of which we wet tested)...preferred the Vanguard but really can't afford the higher price so decided to purchase the Caspian, which we also like a lot.  It will be our first hot tub ever.  Yahoo!!      

I am confused about the cleaning system though...we opted to get the silver ion system...and I had the impression that the ozone (corona discharge or UV) option was necessary or at least highly recommended in conjunction with the silver ion cartridges, but our HS sales guy discouraged us from getting the ozonator and said all we really need is the silver ion cartridges, a capful or so of chlorine each week and to "shock" the tub and run it for ten minutes before we get in.  Looking for some additional input on this issue.  Since the TR does not have the 100% no bypass filtration of the Vanguard, we are a bit more concerned about water cleanliness...

Can anyone who has a TR Caspian with the silver ion system address whether they also have an ozone output system, and if not, if there have been any issues with water cleanliness?   Or can any HS dealers help clarify the TR Everfresh water purification system for me and help me understand whether the ozonator makes a significant difference or not?  

Thanks!!!   Love this forum!
Dorie

Hot Tub Forum

Need Ozonator with Silver Ion System??
« on: October 03, 2005, 12:12:19 am »

lynnette

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Need Ozonator with Silver Ion System??
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:56:03 am »
 Hi,  We have the Tiger River Caspian for 1 yr now, and are very happy with it.  We tried Everfresh system with no ozone and it did not work for us.  We had green water after a few weeks, I got a real bad rash from the non-chlorine you have to add.  Maybe with ozone it would work better.  Our Hot Springs dealer in Michigan also said we did not need ozone.  We are using Spa Guard Soft Soak now, you only put chemicals in once a week.  (Simular to Baqua Spa).  Good Luck on your new spa.  Lynnette  :) :) :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 09:09:16 am »
I have the Tiger River Caspain. I only had it for about 3 months, so I'm far from a Caspain expert,  but for what it's worth:

My deal included the CD ozinator.  I am also using dicholor.  
On the dealers recomendation,  I also purchased a silver ion catridge.   So far things have gone very well with keeping the tub's water clean.

Here's my routine:

After each use add a teaspoon of chlorine per bather and run the clean cycle.

Each week shock

Each week add Defender (scale inhibitor)

Every 2-3 weeks add a bit of frensh and clear (water clarifier)

So far, so good.  

It's my impression that the ozinator will do more for sanitzing the tub than the silver ion cartridge and be cheaper in the long run. (Cartridges will run $120 per year).  The ozinoatr runs 24 x 7 and is virtually matianece free. It really couldn't be simpler.

The jury is still out on the silver ion cartridges.

I'd recomend getting the ozinator and having it installed in the tub  And then if you want, experiment with the silver Ion cartidges.

Good luck. And enjoy your Hot tub. You'll love it.

07 Caldera Geneva

clayfiregrrl

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 12:01:52 pm »
Thanks so much for the feedback on this!  I called our local HS dealer today and finalized our order for the 2005 Tiger River Caspian...had them add the corona discharge ozonator to our order and delivery is set for next Tuesday!  

We also live in Michigan...still working on getting an electrician to do the wiring/panel installation and keeping our fingers crossed that once the tub is delivered, the electrical work is done, and the tub is filled, that we will not suffer any of the chemical/water purification problems we've read so much about on this site...can't wait to start using our new hot tub!   :D

Dorie

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 12:19:02 pm »
Next Tuesday? Wow that's quick!  Congratulataions!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005, 12:19:16 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 12:20:28 pm »
keeping our fingers crossed that we will not suffer any of the chemical/water purification problems we've read so much about on this site.

You'll have to learn on the job to some degree but my advice is always to keep the bottle of granular chlroine very close to the spa and you'll do just fine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Cass

• Loving our Tiger River Caspian!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 01:24:08 pm »
We got our Caspian installed last week and we absolutely love it.  I hope you enjoy yours just as much.   :)  We use an ozonator, and dichlor.  So far so good.

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 02:00:20 pm »
you did the right thing, the everfresh water care system works really well and is a good investment. Replace the silver ion cartridge every 4 months. May you have lots of tigertherapy.

clayfiregrrl

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 06:27:17 pm »
I'm so grateful for this forum!   Your responses not only helped us decide to add the CD ozonator to our HS/TR Caspian purchase but also helps me feel like it is indeed money well spent.  Water purity is a high priority.  Relieved to hear good things about the Everfresh system and reassured to hear other Caspian owners describe details about which chemicals they use, how much, how often, etc.  I'm sure it will all become routine after a while but the whole chemical thing seems a bit confusing right now.  Will let you know how it works out.  

So excited that our Caspian will be delivered so quickly!  Now just have to get the electrician firmed up and before you know it, we'll be taking long luxurious soaks in our fabulous new tub!

Thanks again for all of the feedback, suggestions, and kind wishes!  Good bubbles and jets to all!

Dorie

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 05:42:34 pm »
Congratulations!  I think you will be very happy with the decision to buy a tub!

May you always have hot, clean, bubbly water!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 09:43:40 pm »
Congratulations on your new tub.  I wish you great joy.  As for water treatment, go to www.rhtubs.com and then in the FAQ section find the Vermonter's program for water treatment.  He uses recommends both silver ion exchange and the ozonator be used in conjunction with dichlor.  This approach works really well and is highly recommended as the best and most practical available.

Regards,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 09:43:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42